1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

front pulls when braking

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by itin1200, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Jun 5, 2011 at 5:47 AM
    itin1200

itin1200 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    2004 4x4 TRD XtraCab
    About a week ago I hit a couple nasty pot holes.

Now, maybe once every 10 stops the steering wheel turns to the right very noticeably when I brake. Always at a low speed, like stopping at a light or stop sign.

Truck rolls nice and straight when driving, this only happens when braking. And usually when braking on a bumpy surface.

Shocks are bad, and I've ordered some 5100s from DSM, but anyone know what this could be?

2004 Xtracab 4x4.

Thanks--Bill

2. Jun 5, 2011 at 6:09 AM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Bethel Park, PA. Burb of da Burgh.
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM Mostly Stock Off-Road 4x4
    TRD Cat-back Exhaust. Semi-Debadged. Trimmed down stock Antenna. Weathertech vent visors. TRD FJ Cruiser Center Cap Wheel Mod. 265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T,s . Inverter tapped into for outlet in cab. Tacomaworld sticker which adds 5 hp.
    1st of all, welcome also for PGH. Never saw you on here. Anyway, I get that every once in a while. Same with me on bumpy roads.

Edit: After thinking about it. It just hit me, sometimes low air pressure on one side could cause a pull like that. Check them it might be just that.

3. Jun 5, 2011 at 8:41 AM
    jberry813

jberry813 The Mad Scientist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Sport
    ...too much shit to list.
    Could be a number of things.

Check your brake pads and see if one side is wearing faster than the other. If that's the case most likely you have a bad caliper. Replace both if this is the case. You could also try bleeding your brakes if you haven't done it in a while. Water or air pockets can lead to ineffectivness of the caliper.

You said your shocks are bad. Shocks and alignment certainly play a part in this. Get your new shocks in and an alignent done.

4. Jun 5, 2011 at 8:50 AM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    Bump for some more answers for you.

5. Jun 6, 2011 at 7:03 AM
    itin1200

itin1200 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    2004 4x4 TRD XtraCab
    Thanks for the replies.

Tire pressure is ok.

Think I'll have the new shocks installed and an alignment done, then if it persists look at the brakes.

And Deevon, good to see another from the 'Burgh. Where are you located? I'm on the North Side.

And it was the potholes on McKnight Road that started this issue...

To Top