1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Front / rear bumpers but what about weight?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by SARTacoma, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Apr 6, 2011 at 2:05 PM
    SARTacoma

SARTacoma [OP] Member

Member:
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma 3.4L 4wd
    No mods... bone stock
    I've been considering a set of custom front and rear tubular bumpers (with push/brush bars) for my 02 dbl cab. The only issue I have is weight in the front.

As most of you know, nearly 90% of the weight on this model is UP FRONT making the rear end just a bit loose unless you counter it with about 200 lbs in the tiny little bed (if a dog p**ses on my tires, I break traction in the rear).

How have you guys with these really awesome winch-mount riot bumpers overcome this problem? I know I could improve the front suspension to level things out but that won't change my weight balance thing will it?

2. Apr 6, 2011 at 2:14 PM
    malander

malander That's some tight butthole

Member:
    First Name:
    max
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    01 limited trd 4x4
    deck plate mod,jba cat back,bilstein 5100's,ome 883 springs, Allpro expos, allpro U-bolt flip kit, 10" Bilstien 5150 shocks, custom lower shock mounts
    What bumpers are you looking at? Tube weighs alot less than plate keep that in mind. I also notice you're a first gen. The trail gear bumpers they offer are fairly lightweight when you consider you are taking off weight with your old bumper. 4x innovations also makes nice ones.

3. Apr 6, 2011 at 2:18 PM
    Southern01Taco

Southern01Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Holden, La
    Vehicle:
    01 V6 4x4 Xtra Cab SR5
    After I installed my bumper and winch my truck sagged a little in the front end but didn't drive any different than it did stock. I have a plate bumper and a 8000lbs winch. I have adjustable coilovers, so I just leveled the truck back out to prevent tire rubbing and it has been doing fine. The tube bumpers are a lot lighter than the plate bumpers and you have to take into account that when you swap bumpers you are taking off the factory one, which weighs about 60lbs. I have a rear plate bumper being made but it should weigh the same as the factory bumper and hitch.

edit: ^^^ beat me to it lol.

4. Apr 6, 2011 at 2:19 PM
    Nitronick

Nitronick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Oregon City, OR
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma sr5 v6 3.4
    you could make some yourself if you know someone with a tube bender and a welder.

To Top