1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Front tires chopping is this a common problem

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by trd taco guy, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Jun 4, 2010 at 10:38 AM
    trd taco guy

trd taco guy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma trd sport
    So I put alot of miles on my taco because I'm a sales guy and I have been having a issue with the front tires chopping. The first time around was after my spring tsb my alignment was out of wack a bit because the dealer never did a alignment after the install because they were doing me a "favor" by installing the tsb at all becausE at the time the tsb didn't include the '09. That was at about 10k miles now I have about 38k and the tires are still chopping the alignment was perfect no issues so my mechanic called the dealer to see if there were any new tsb's for the issue and nothing. The dealer told my mechanic that he should just rotate the tires ever 5k miles. To me that seems a bit weird to have to rotate the tires so much because they r wearing out wrong. Anyone else have this issue or have any suggestions?

2. Jun 4, 2010 at 10:53 AM
    AeroCooper

AeroCooper Half the strength of ten (microscopic men)

Member:
    VT
    Vehicle:
    2014 Barcelona Sport Access Cab 4x4
    Leveled with 5100s @ 1.75", Hankook Dynapro AT/m, Ultra Maverick wheels, N-Fab side steps, WeatherTech floor liners, EGR in-channel rain guards, TRD shift knob for 10 extra mpg, Gentex 177 auto dim rear view mirror with compass and temp, CompuStar remote start, Muth heated signal mirrors, disable AC with defrost mod
    So you've gone 28,000 miles without rotating the tires?? Yeah, that would be a good idea to do that a little more often.

Usually though, choppy tires are a sign of either weak shocks, loose parts, or an out of balance that has gone on way too long.

3. Jun 4, 2010 at 11:20 AM
    ExFordFan

ExFordFan Semper Fi

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Wauwatosa, WI.
    Vehicle:
    Stock
    Another thing you have to look at is are the tires properly mounted to the wheel. On the tire itself there is what they call a beauty ring. This is nothing mor than a raised portion in the side wall of the tire usually with in a 1/4" of the edge of the wheel/rim. The distance between this beauty ring and the edge of the weel/rim has to be equal all the way around the whole circumfrance of the wheel and tire assembly. If not you can get abnormal tire wear. On a side note once a tire starts to get abnormal tire wear it will continually progress no matter what corrections have been made.

4. Jun 4, 2010 at 11:30 AM
    Airun

Airun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Show Me State
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport, DCLB, 4wd
    Debadged, custom emblem, Husky liners, custom bedrail Yak Trak setup with load bars, , BakFlip Fibermax, OME 3" lift with LightRacing UCAs
    I've found over the years with Asian 4x4s it's best tu just rotate em every oil change 3-5k

5. Jun 4, 2010 at 9:01 PM
    trd taco guy

trd taco guy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma trd sport

No I rotate the tire pretty regularly like every second oil change or 10k miles I didn't mention it earlier. So I don't really have an issue with rotating them. 5k miles or every oil change just seemed a bit much to me. Never had any chopping issues with my 2000 taco or my 05 silverado just thought it was weird that on a brand new taco that the dealer says it's normal to have chopping tires and the fix is just rotate them more I would think they might want to make a truck that doesn't destroy tires sooner then other trucks because of a "normal" issue.

6. Jun 4, 2010 at 9:18 PM
    Asgard

Asgard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner DC SR5 w/LSD
    X2

To Top