1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

FRONT WHEEL BEARING AND HUB SOLUTION - I've done the work, you save the money!

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tacoma Marketplace (2005-2015)' started by BamaToy1997, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Jul 31, 2013 at 6:10 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    Highly unlikely. Most likely they just look for leaking struts and call it a day.

2. Jul 31, 2013 at 7:24 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 [OP] ASE Master Tech Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    Multi-point tow hooks, new bored 2.7L engine, custom paint. 3 inch adjustable Fabtech front coils, 2.5 inch rear AAL. Front Aussie locker. LED bed lights. Full LED conversion interior and exterior. Relentless Fabrication front and rear bumpers. 4X4innovation sliders. BAMF bed rack. CVT rooftop tent.
    They are supposed to be inspected, yes. BlueT may disagree, but personally when I was at the dealership we would inspect everything. A failed part means more income. Why just skip over the potential to make money?

It is not always necessary to replace the hub. However in the interest of making "bolt on kits" where there is no need to unbolt the old hub, take it to a shop, get them to press out the old bearing and press in the new bearing, hope that they didn't mess something up in the process, then drive home and reinstall..... I supply a ready to bolt on assembly. You unbolt yours, bolt in my new one, and go driving.

Takes less than 15 minutes of work on each side in your own driveway versus up to 2-3 hours the other way....PLUS, not everyone has a ride to take them and the bearings to a shop and wait for them to get changed out. It is much more convenient this way. Plus, depending on how bad the bearing is worn, yes, it can cause hub damage. I've seen it about 20% of the time.

3. Jul 31, 2013 at 4:33 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns Lord of War

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off Road Full-Auto
    All-Pro Front Bumper, CBI Sliders, Icon ET Coilovers, aFe Intake, Icon VS Rear Shocks, TSB Leafs, Timbren Bumpstops, All-Pro UCAs, ViAir Compressor, Klearz LED 3rd Brake Light, Pop-N-Lock Tailgate Handle, Husky Front Flaps, Deeza HD Sway Bar Links
    The few times I've been at dealers to do oil changes on a lift, I see them use a long screwdriver to pry the hub and balljoints to check for play.

Beyond the 15k service, another opportunity to detect bad bearings is during brake service, where they remove the rotor to grind it. In any case, a bad bearing isn't instantly catastrophic. You will get noise and vibration alerting you to the defect, so you can replace the bearing yourself.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  4. Jul 31, 2013 at 6:04 PM
    ruslanus

ruslanus Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rus
    Wasilla, AK
    Rear diff breather relocate, CB, weather tech floor mats, rain guards EGR, DTRL stealth mode switch, removed mud flaps, SnugTop Rebel camper shell, Airflow America snorkel
  5. Jul 31, 2013 at 6:58 PM
    RadRed06

RadRed06 Christ Follower

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Madison, MS
    Vehicle:
    '12 Pyrite 4x4 OR
    stock
    So youre telling me that all I have to do now to replace a worn out wheel bearing is take the old one off and bolt this bad boy on??? This is awesome.

6. Jul 31, 2013 at 7:02 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Subb'd.

Just getting the bearing assembly from most auto parts places is $130 or more. Then you have to either have access to a shop with a press and go to the trouble of cutting the old bearings off the hub, transferring seals and o-rings, and pressing the hub into the new assembly.

Or paying NAPA to do all that, and hope they do it right.

This is a great price, especially including shipping, to make it a 30 minute job. NICE. We'll be in touch when the time comes.

7. Jul 31, 2013 at 7:10 PM
    CASTRATE

CASTRATE Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabe
    SW of Tulsa, OK
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4 SR5 6spd
    Helluva deal

8. Jul 31, 2013 at 7:22 PM
    whiteoak

whiteoak New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    paragould,AR
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double cab TRD
  9. Jul 31, 2013 at 9:14 PM
    BamaToy1997

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    Multi-point tow hooks, new bored 2.7L engine, custom paint. 3 inch adjustable Fabtech front coils, 2.5 inch rear AAL. Front Aussie locker. LED bed lights. Full LED conversion interior and exterior. Relentless Fabrication front and rear bumpers. 4X4innovation sliders. BAMF bed rack. CVT rooftop tent.
    Yes, that is all it will take with these units.

Sorry man. If I could find a viable solution I would. Unfortunately building an entire knuckle is quite expensive. The best I could do is sell "bearing kits" with all of the parts to be pressed in at a local shop. Is there any interest in that I wonder?

10. Jul 31, 2013 at 11:01 PM
    DoorDing

DoorDing Someone was there .

Member:
    bee keeper
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Off-Road 4WD
    Reused o-rings and seals are probably one of the reasons so many bearings fail prematurely. Fortunately, Bill is saving people from themselves.

11. Aug 1, 2013 at 4:33 AM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    It depends on the condition. Before re-use I inspect thoroughly. If they're fucked, they get replaced.

The reason most bearings fail amongst the crew I run with is because we're pushing oversized tires on locked axles through water, grit, and mud on a regular basis, with the vehicle loaded. No matter how good the seal job, stuff gets in and forces add up. Very frequently the bearings need replacement before the seals are even worn.

12. Aug 1, 2013 at 4:59 AM
    DoorDing

DoorDing Someone was there .

Member:
    bee keeper
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Off-Road 4WD
    Not much can be done for that. Maybe Bill can source some magnetic bearings for tractor tire folks like you. :)

13. Aug 1, 2013 at 5:20 AM
    CHUNKY08

CHUNKY08 Milk was a BAD choice

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    08WHTSR54x4
    20% tinted, Low pro truxedo bed cover, debadged, Billie 5100's plus 2" AAL, 265/70/17 General Grabbers, ProComp 5001 wheels, Polk Audio 6.5" components & Polk Audio 6.5" rear, Kenwood headunit, homertoshi grill, plasti dipped lower valiance, mag light mod, more coming...
    SWEET DEAL! I wish you had gotten this together a month ago. I switched out my DR side. Sub'd for pass side when that goes.

14. Aug 1, 2013 at 5:30 AM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    Nah. Nothin for it. You just end up replacing bearings every few years like a set of tires. Front are worse than rear typically.

Price of offroading.

15. Aug 1, 2013 at 6:32 AM
    ruggedT

ruggedT The Sticker Guy Vendor

Member:
    Midlothian, Va
    Vehicle:
    2013 Ford F150
    Icon, 34's, skids, ect
    Sweet... might pick one of these up. At 98k and havnt had to change one yet. I know its coming.

Does the 4x4 include the cv shaft seal(s)? Every time iv removed the spindle both seals were shot.

16. Aug 1, 2013 at 7:07 AM
    DR Da_da

DR Da_da Infrequent Member

Member:
    Northeast FL
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 V6 TRD Offroad auto access cab
    ToyTec ultimate lift, LR UCAs, TRD gen 1 CAI, TRD cat-back, bull bar, anytime fog lights, lighted 4x4 switch, factory SS step tubes, factory interior lighting package, factory VIP 3200 alarm, FJ TRD center caps, rear diff breather relocate, tint, bug deflector, Weather Tech liners
    Thank you, thank you, thank you.

[​IMG]

17. Aug 1, 2013 at 8:31 AM
    BamaToy1997

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    Getting several PMs with questions, and still trying to run a shop, so sorry for the delay in answering here:

I will look into putting together a kit for the 1st gen. This will still need to be pressed in of course. Maybe with my sources I can save some money versus buying from the chain parts stores?

Yes, the ones running oversized tires with larger offsets, or spacers do wear out the bearings faster. I always recommend that anyone who does do this considers doing the zerk fitting mod, or always use a light pressure washer to clean out the water and dirt.

I will check into this and get back with you all. When you do check back on this thread, check the opening post because any changes will be made there.

18. Aug 1, 2013 at 9:22 AM
    esse10

esse10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    05prerunner SR5 DBLCAB
    $300 for the pre-runner?

Hate to say it but I can just buy the bearing myself for $50 average, water Seal $8, O-ring inner seal $3, locking nut $15 and have the machine shop press the new bearing in $20. Put it in myself and I'm done for around $93-100 bucks per side. ;)

I just did this job a year and a half ago and so far so good...........no issues.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  19. Aug 1, 2013 at 9:42 AM
    BamaToy1997

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    And you are more than welcome to do this job yourself if you wish. I am offering a BOLT ON KIT that you simply unbolt your old hub and bolt this one in place. EVERYTHING is replaced including the bearing, wheel hub, seals, and retainer nut. it is not uncommon for a bearing to fail and cause wear or damage to the hub. Yours was fine, and that is a good thing. Now go and price that same repair if you replaced the wheel hub. That wheel hub lists at the dealer (which by the way is the only place that currently supplies this wheel hub) for almost $200. I use high quality Timken or National bearings, not the cheaper chain store bearings that while some last, many do not. So I still do not see how I am offering any disservice, or trying to overcharge anyone, as it seems like you may be implying.

I am offering a bolt on kit WITH WARRANTY, that does not require one to remove the part, find ANOTHER means of getting to a machine shop, wait to get it pressed in and hope it was done right, then drive back to their vehicle and install it. One simply removes their old one, and installs my new unit. Done.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  20. Aug 2, 2013 at 7:50 AM
    BamaToy1997

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    Daily Bump.... Still working on a couple of the kits that were discussed.

To Top