1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Front wheel bearing went bad...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Agent7, Nov 14, 2009.

1. Nov 14, 2009 at 1:40 PM
    Agent7

Agent7 [OP] Senior Executive of Nothing.

Member:
    Toronto, Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 6spd
    BHLM, Stubby Antenna, Custom Front Grill, Debaged Tailgate, Added TRD Emblem, Removed Factory Pinstripes, Leer 100XL Cap, Prolumen 6000K HID Kit with custom glare shields, Eurolite Yellow fog lights, 20" Fast Hustler wheels (black w/3" deepdish polished lip), Cooper Zeon LTZ 275/60/20's, Spidertrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers, Custom LED Gauges, Pioneer AVIC F700BT All-In-One Indash Navigation (Hacked)
    Okay so here's the deal... I want to clarify a few things with regards to this fix. I had some unanswered questions that I couldn't find during extensive searching that I can now answer for all of you looking to do this. My symptoms started as a slight vibration felt in the front end and floor boards that slowly became more pronounced over time. It them turned into a howling, which then turned into griding and even more vibration. After searching I found that it could possibly be a wheel bearing. Even with some of the simple diagnostics such as putting it up on a jack and spinning the wheel... it was still very hard to tell if that was the culprit even though the drivers side did seem to be a little louder than the right on that particular test. I said f*ck it and decided to buy the left side hub/bearing assembly anyways and see what the outcome would be. After getting the new assembly pressed into the hub, I examined the old one for damage and HOLY F*CK, there was some serious gouging on the inside race of the hub assembly! Now I can see why it may be hard to diagnose this as the problem because the bearings are seated in a plastic retainer which means even though the gouging on the inner race was present and the assembly was still tight with no movement, there still is opportunity for the bearings to move inside the race beacause of the plastic retainer and the way it can flex. In any case I have it all back together and everything is silky smooth again. So all that being said before you go to Toyota asking if you have front diff problems, you may want to look at your wheel bearing first. Toyota in some case will probably not diagnose the problem as a wheel bearing because they would practically have to disassemble down to the race to even realize that its that big of a problem. When I first started hearing the noises/vibrations I could have sworn it was the front diff... so thank god it wasn't! Also when your putting things back together I had the shop that pressed the bearing to look up the torque specs for me, and it was a suprising 176 lbs at the axle/hub nut just so you know.... :cool:

Anyways, thats the end of my public service annoucement.... carry on... ;)

2. Nov 14, 2009 at 2:03 PM
    bigmooze

bigmooze Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Belle River, ON
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 access cab SR5
    Bilstein 5100's all round (0" up front with stock springs), 265/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, K&N 63 Series Aircharger Kit, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler, Delta Champion Toolbox, fog lights, back-up lights, Sirius satellite radio with PA15-TOY, Midland 1001z CB radio with 2' Firestik II antenna, Weathertech floor mats, AVS sill protectors, Marathon SuperHides Seatcovers (Universal Digital Camo), trimmed front mud flaps, Viair 20005 OBA, Warn W650D driving lights and W650F fog lights on N-Fab light bar, Hi-Lift X-treme jack with off road accessories, TracRac "TracONE" system
    Thanks for posting this, will be helpful in the future.

3. Nov 14, 2009 at 4:02 PM
    pataco

pataco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Down by the lake
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 trd dc white
    FOX 2.0 RESIS,LRUCAS,BILLY 5100S ON THE REAR.MAGNAFLOW 11264,COLOR MATCHED GRILL,YELLOW FOG MOD.OVER HEAD DVD,FEDERAL COURAGIA M/T
    great job.great info.:thumbsup:

4. Nov 14, 2009 at 4:03 PM
    ColtsTRD

ColtsTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    x2 :)

5. Nov 14, 2009 at 4:11 PM
    def4pos8

def4pos8 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    White Tacoma AC 2.7L/5spd SR5
    undercoat, running boards
    Welcome to the wonderful world of hub/bearing maintenance! :rolleyes:

There are those who have and there are those who will.:facepalm:

6. Nov 14, 2009 at 4:23 PM
    Warren Thompson

Warren Thompson GeoTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Elko, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    '06 Tacoma DC TRD Sport RadRed
    Wouldn't something like that be covered under warranty?? How many miles did you have on them? Would the powertrain warranty cover it?? Seems a bit early for the bearings to go, No?

7. Nov 14, 2009 at 5:09 PM
    Ridingontrd

Ridingontrd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Laughlin,N.V
    Vehicle:
    trd sport 4x4 w/towpkg
    aFe prodry,Dynomax ultra flo ss,Scangauge2,Demello front bumper,BudBuilt skids,sliders(local)AllPro rear bumper,Wet O's cobalt blu,w/halfpiping,TRD logo in gold,R/L hood struts,5150's@10"aal 3 pack,T/C uca,Light racing c/o,1"diff.drop,de-badged,
    Excellent info!! Thanks for posting it.:thumbsup:
    Reps for you.:cool:

8. Nov 15, 2009 at 10:44 AM
    Agent7

Member:
    Toronto, Canada
    Vehicle:
    BHLM, Stubby Antenna, Custom Front Grill, Debaged Tailgate, Added TRD Emblem, Removed Factory Pinstripes, Leer 100XL Cap, Prolumen 6000K HID Kit with custom glare shields, Eurolite Yellow fog lights, 20" Fast Hustler wheels (black w/3" deepdish polished lip), Cooper Zeon LTZ 275/60/20's, Spidertrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers, Custom LED Gauges, Pioneer AVIC F700BT All-In-One Indash Navigation (Hacked)
    Thanks, everyone... I would have done an extensive write up with pics but I was very crunched for time. There are some tips and tricks people can use if they don't have access to proper tools (they should have basic shop tools though), so they can pm me if they are thinking about doing it themselves. I would at the very least make sure you have a breaker bar and torque wrench, before considering doing this one. I'm fortunate enough to have a full set of shop tools and a compressor so it really makes life easy. I wish I had taken some pics of the the old bearing race... it was suprising how much damage was in there! The only way it could have happened was something got past the seals or something failed inside the bearing that caused the gouging. I think the front seal/spacer between the hub and bearing is probably the weak link in that assembly. It looks like there's very slight gapping even with the seal pressed into place. Its a little disconcerning that a truck with 50K is blowing bearings.

As for warrenty... yes I could have had it replaced under warrenty (I'm at 50K) but because I need my truck daily, and because I hate dealing with dealerships in general, I would rather do it myself and have peice of mind. My truck has a ton of mods, and they always try to give me the runaround and I end up just getting pissed off to the point of wanting to choke someone. Because the repair wasn't expensive I don't mind doing it anyways (I love to wrench!), but if were something that I couldn't handle within a day or was expensive, I would have jumped all over the warrenty.

9. Nov 15, 2009 at 12:02 PM
    sonjay

sonjay Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have the same vibration problem, and I think it just got worse when I got a front end alignment? Just curious what did the bearing assembly cost? Thanks for the heads up!

10. Nov 15, 2009 at 12:31 PM
    GTVAPSAMTIK

GTVAPSAMTIK Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    SOHAIL
    Fort Carson, CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OFF-ROAD 4X4 Automatic
    EXTANG Tuff WeatherTech Liners Toyota Bed Mat Coverkind Seat Covers
    Why do Bearings go bad ? Whats the cause.

11. Nov 15, 2009 at 12:32 PM
    LBtaco

LBtaco Thread killer

Member:
    Long Beach , CA
    Vehicle:
    15 Nissan Leaf
    Jetsons mod
    good post. I looked into this a while back when searching to solve the steering vibrationa I had. Do you have aftermarket wheels? whats the offset ? It was the inner race going bad? wonder if that may lead to the demise of a bearing.
    I think by now Timbren??Timkin? has a replacement bearing, it was supposed to be cheaper. anyways thanx for posting

12. Nov 15, 2009 at 12:50 PM
    Bandit

Bandit Getting old sucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Elgin, SC
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD OR DC 4x4
    Stock 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
    I had to replace my front driver's side wheel bearing at 70k miles... i run a prerunner though... i called Napa and the bearing and hub together was 110 dollars... it was covered under my free waranty i got with the 50 dollar deductable... this is all 2wd though... at 104k miles now... replaced brake pads too... no other problems yet.

13. Dec 13, 2009 at 6:10 PM
    SwampThing07

SwampThing07 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orlando, Fl
    Vehicle:
    07 prerunner/ Toytec lift/ 285 nittos/ MM 951
    885/ w 5100's, Grillcraft, HIDs, 285 nittos, MM 951B, Flowmaster duals, blackout tailights, tint, Sirius.
    i think im having this problem now. I went offroad yesterday (lots of mud and water) and i get the vibrations that shake the whole vehicle. It happens any where from 35-45mph. it doesnt happen all the time. Anyways i hit a big stump while offroading and wondering if its my balancing or a wheel bearing.

Reason i think its a bearing is because when i turn my wheels in park i get a popping noise coming from the front.any help?

14. Dec 13, 2009 at 6:13 PM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    Popping sound from the front when turning is indicative of a bad cv joint

15. Dec 13, 2009 at 6:14 PM
    SwampThing07

Member:
    Orlando, Fl
    Vehicle:
    885/ w 5100's, Grillcraft, HIDs, 285 nittos, MM 951B, Flowmaster duals, blackout tailights, tint, Sirius.
    on a prerunner?

16. Dec 13, 2009 at 6:20 PM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    Haha, whoops. Didn't even look at your info.

17. Dec 13, 2009 at 6:21 PM
    SwampThing07

Member:
    Orlando, Fl
    Vehicle:
    yep.im hoping its just a wheel bearing or balancing issue. nothing serious or im screwed. I do know that im not offroading in this truck anymore.

18. Dec 13, 2009 at 6:33 PM
    SwampThing07

Member:
    Orlando, Fl
    Vehicle:
    help me out guys!

19. Dec 13, 2009 at 6:38 PM
    Agent7

Member:
    Toronto, Canada
    Vehicle:
    The easiest way to test it is jack up one side at a time and spin the wheel... it should have a slight grind noise/howl or at least a different noise than just the rotor skimming the brake pads. Others have noticed while driving that under turning you can hear a grind or howling. If you turn right and hear it it will be your left hand bearing and vise versa. I was pretty shocked at the damage on the inner race of mine... the only way it could have gotten that bad was from the seal failing and letting some form of debris get inside to wear away at the race. I think the weak link in these bearings are the outer seal that toyota supplies.

20. Dec 13, 2009 at 6:42 PM
    SwampThing07

Member:
    Orlando, Fl
    Vehicle:
    mine does it turning the wheel both ways

Products Discussed in

To Top