1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Front Wheel Bearings

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Taco93, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Feb 2, 2010 at 6:54 AM
    Taco93

Taco93 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Milton, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport
    Extang Trifecta Tonneau, Weathertech Floor Liners
    I'm thinking about swapping out both front wheel bearings to try and rule out a slight vibration/growling noise that I feel in the floor at around 60 mph. I've had the truck lifted and I feel no slop in the tires but a guy on here said his bearings were shot and they felt solid as well.

Can I buy both the hub and bearing assembly already pressed together? or do I have to buy the bearing and get the shop to press it in for me?

Or is this all I need?

[​IMG]

Thanks TW

2. Feb 2, 2010 at 8:19 AM
    nuckinfuts

nuckinfuts NyQuil on the rocks.

Member:
    Pacific NW
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC TRD Off-Road
    DT Long Tube Headers, Empire O2 simulator, catback, Shrockworks Sliders, Old Man Emu 3" lift with 885 coils (with 1/2" top plate spacer and Dakar Leaf packs), Hi-lift mounted in bed with 4XRAC mounts, WT floor liners, other stuffs
    ^That's the bearing assembly, the hub presses into it. You have to either press out the existing hub from the existing bearing then re-press the old hub into the new bearing (with the 4 bolts of course) or buy a new hub (and the 4 bolts) and press it into the new bearing. Some people have been able to get the existing hub and bearing apart, I had no such luck. When I changed the drivers side I had a 3' long, 3/4" ratchet on a puller and it just bent the tabs on the bearing assembly and didn't come apart. Pretty frickin ridiculous.

3. Feb 2, 2010 at 8:46 AM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NC/SC
    Vehicle:
    4Runner Trail, 88 pickup, Tundra Platinum
    A few bolts are different.
    it does. I have been told you can buy that assembly at O'reilly auto parts but I can only find the "hub assembly" for the rear.

4. Feb 2, 2010 at 8:51 AM
    Taco93

Member:
    Milton, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport

So I could do it my self with no press?

5. Feb 2, 2010 at 8:52 AM
    badguybuster

badguybuster Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    West (by GOD) Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Sport
    New truck....so nothing yet
  6. Feb 2, 2010 at 8:55 AM
    MY50cal

MY50cal ---- Tread Lightly ---- Leave No Trace

Member:
    First Name:
    Mojo
    Camden County, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 PM RC / 05 SWB AC (RIP)
    Yep.
  7. Feb 2, 2010 at 9:04 AM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NC/SC
    Vehicle:
    4Runner Trail, 88 pickup, Tundra Platinum
    A few bolts are different.
  8. Feb 2, 2010 at 9:05 AM
    Jones'R

Jones'R My

Member:
    Niagara Falls
    Vehicle:
    08' SR5
    3" Lift
  9. Feb 2, 2010 at 9:06 AM
    red neck toy

red neck toy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    earle
    adams center, New York
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma dbl lifted
    -3in toytech lift -33" x 11.5" firestone destination m/t -16" x 10" mickey thompson classic II. -cut and boxed in body mounts so no more rubbing!! -black headlight covers -anytime foglight mod -35%tint front -5% over stock on back -custom built bull bar -mossy oak camo seat covers -k&n cold air intake -tornado gas saver -dual straight pipes. only tacoma i've seen with them and it sounds really good. (but not if you dont like loud) lol.. soon to come: -black headlight mod -aftermarket grill -blacked out emblems -headers -new shocks and leafsprings - considering all pro front bumper
    i had to replace a wheel bearing not too long ago. i dont remember really how we did it cuz i had a guy i know help me out. i do know that all i bought was that part pictured above. it was kind of a pain in the ass getting i think the old bearing seal off of the hub, something like that, but we got it.

10. Feb 2, 2010 at 9:07 AM
    Death_Stalker

Death_Stalker " The Master Ninja"

Member:
    First Name:
    Talha
    Cypress, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner LE
    TRD Pro Wheels BFG AT Tires
    just make sure it is your hub in the front that is making the vibration. I had slight vibration and i was told it was hub. I purchased a $175 hub and it wasnt that ... now i have a rear hub sitting for sale. It was by U-joints ... Let me also tell you something if you dont know anything about hubs, or if you havent changed them previously i would recomend not trying it. Its not as easy as it looks just an opinion.

11. Feb 2, 2010 at 9:10 AM
    red neck toy

red neck toy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    earle
    adams center, New York
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma dbl lifted
    -3in toytech lift -33" x 11.5" firestone destination m/t -16" x 10" mickey thompson classic II. -cut and boxed in body mounts so no more rubbing!! -black headlight covers -anytime foglight mod -35%tint front -5% over stock on back -custom built bull bar -mossy oak camo seat covers -k&n cold air intake -tornado gas saver -dual straight pipes. only tacoma i've seen with them and it sounds really good. (but not if you dont like loud) lol.. soon to come: -black headlight mod -aftermarket grill -blacked out emblems -headers -new shocks and leafsprings - considering all pro front bumper
    also i forgot to mention. when my bearing went i could move my wheel back and forth probably a half an inch or so. it was bad. i didnt even drive the truck till i fixed it, cuz of have so much play in the wheel, it also grinded like hell going down the road. if your bearing gets as bad sa mine was youll deffinitely know it.
    we pulled my bearing out and it was nothing but metal shavings and lose ball bearings lol..
    so if you think its a bearing you might wanna change it before it gets as bad as mine

12. Feb 2, 2010 at 9:15 AM
    nuckinfuts

Member:
    Pacific NW
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC TRD Off-Road
    DT Long Tube Headers, Empire O2 simulator, catback, Shrockworks Sliders, Old Man Emu 3" lift with 885 coils (with 1/2" top plate spacer and Dakar Leaf packs), Hi-lift mounted in bed with 4XRAC mounts, WT floor liners, other stuffs
    I hate these damn wheel bearings, they're so confusing to try and explain.

Alright, so I'm guessing it's different for the PreRunner vs. the 4x4 given the absence of a front axle on the PreRunner. I've done it on a 4x4 and it's a pain in the ass to explain, but when you actually get your hands on it it's pretty straightforward.

4x4: I'll reference the diagram trdparts4u sent me shown below. The wheel bearing assembly (pt#43570/80) bolts to the spindle, and the hub (pt# 43501/02) presses into the bearing assembly. The 4 bolts that connect the whole mess to the spindle (pt#90301-a0167)get sandwiched between the hub and wheel bearing assembly.

WheelBearingParts2_ea1eab7f2d7dfa394b6aff04cf8054d4f92c0b94.jpg

PreRunner: I haven't done this and I can't find a diagram, so my best guess is there's a cap on the inside of some sort and the hub might be different (not splined). Without the axle, you would have just the press fit of the hub in the bearing assembly holding the wheel on.

If I were you I would contact the guys at trdparts4u.com (info@toyotapartsales.com). They sent me that diagram and helped a ton when I was figuring it out for my truck.

13. Feb 2, 2010 at 9:24 AM
    nuckinfuts

Member:
    Pacific NW
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC TRD Off-Road
    Jackpot. :thumbsup:

And keep in mind if you can't get the old assembly apart to reuse the hub you'll need to buy 4 new bolts along with a new hub.

14. Feb 2, 2010 at 9:34 AM
    nuckinfuts

Member:
    Pacific NW
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC TRD Off-Road
    You loosen those 4 bolts (17mm I think) and take the axle nut (35mm) off, then the hub/bearing assembly comes off the spindle as one unit. The 4 bolts are trapped between the hub and bearing, but they have enough room to be loosened enough to remove the hub/bearing assembly. Then you attack it with a puller to separate each piece and a press to put it back together.

15. Feb 2, 2010 at 9:46 AM
    Taco93

Member:
    Milton, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport

Thanks for the diagram,

I've been doing alot of research about the front vibration/shimmy while doing about 60mph and some people had mentioned the front diff as a potential problem..not the wheel bearings. Well I changed my front differential oil last week and this little piece was stuck to the magnet. I have no idea what it is but I do know that it is not supposed to be stuck to the magnet. Could my front differential be failing?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm going to create a new post on this as well..

Thanks for everyones help :eek:

16. Feb 2, 2010 at 7:29 PM
    Jones'R

Jones'R My

Member:
    Niagara Falls
    Vehicle:
    08' SR5
    3" Lift
    Taco, that looks like the exit slug of a drilled hole. A metal chip made from "breaking thru" while drilling. Aluminum is famous for this. Although aluminum isnt magnetic. Im not sure what the material for the diff housing is, or if that even is an exit slug.

17. Feb 10, 2010 at 4:39 PM
    MyToyTaco

MyToyTaco ╒╪╕

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    wenatchee, wa
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB 4x4
    Good luck to you! Have some beer handy for break time. It was a big hassle for me to do mine

Products Discussed in

To Top