1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Front windshield tinted 50%

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by Maintenance Man, May 20, 2010.

1. May 20, 2010 at 10:03 AM
    LeadFootCaliKid

LeadFootCaliKid It's a work in progress.

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Temecula/North SD
    Vehicle:
    2005 DC PreRunner TRD Off-Road
    Total Chaos UCA's, Icon coil-overs, Icon gas reservoir rear shocks, Eagle Alloy 17", Nitto Terra Grappler 285/75/17, Flowmaster 40, Kenwood deck, and dual 10" Kicker subs, shorty antenna. There's more...
    This reminds me of that episode of "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" where they go on a stake-out and the old man has the whole van tinted. Hahahaha... They get the tint put on the wrong way or something and smash into a bunch of stuff. It's pretty funny.

Here's a link to the clip. There no way to post the video (they disabled the embed function)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jg26Ch3jJAU

2. May 20, 2010 at 10:06 AM
    epa4wd

epa4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eduardo
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR
    Clazzio Seat Covers OR Wheels 40% tint Side Steps KC Fog Lights
    From inside out in the garage

[​IMG]

From the outside

[​IMG]

3. May 20, 2010 at 10:07 AM
    Maintenance Man

Maintenance Man [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Atlanta, Ga
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Pre-runner SR5 2.7L
    Leer camper shell; afe stage ll intake; 265's bridgestone dueler tires; rockford's power series 6.5's; tint on all windows; semi de-badged; weathertech digitial mats; grillcraft grill; blacked out headlights with eyelids; blacked out badges; and more to come.
    looks good, for some reason its not letting my post pics.....Can you even see my signature pic?

4. May 20, 2010 at 10:07 AM
    LeadFootCaliKid

LeadFootCaliKid It's a work in progress.

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Temecula/North SD
    Vehicle:
    2005 DC PreRunner TRD Off-Road
    Total Chaos UCA's, Icon coil-overs, Icon gas reservoir rear shocks, Eagle Alloy 17", Nitto Terra Grappler 285/75/17, Flowmaster 40, Kenwood deck, and dual 10" Kicker subs, shorty antenna. There's more...
  5. May 20, 2010 at 10:08 AM
    epa4wd

epa4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eduardo
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR
    I see it

6. May 20, 2010 at 10:09 AM
    Maintenance Man

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Atlanta, Ga
    Vehicle:
    Leer camper shell; afe stage ll intake; 265's bridgestone dueler tires; rockford's power series 6.5's; tint on all windows; semi de-badged; weathertech digitial mats; grillcraft grill; blacked out headlights with eyelids; blacked out badges; and more to come.
    ok, well....nevermind....thanks

7. May 20, 2010 at 10:11 AM
    Evans381

Evans381 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    Rome, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner
    Toytec ultimate coilovers. 5% Window tint. 40% windshield. Kenwood DDX372BT Monitor. JL Audio 12w0v3 subwoofer set in ported Q-Bomb box. 20" Gear Alloy Recoil wheels wrapped in Cooper Zeon LTZ tires
    Mine is also 50 on the windshield and 5 on all the rest. Love it. I deff had to get use to it a night tho. No way possible to back up without rolling down my window or having a back up camera. I got use to it quick tho. You can only see my silhouette during the day and at night nothin can be seen. I actually got pulled over by Georgia State Patrol the other weekend. Note: First time ever bein pulled over for it since it was done in Feb 2009... Played it off. Told the trooper my dad bought the truck like that and I had been meaning to take it off. lol That prolly wont work next time cause he said I was in the "system" now. But IMO if your gonna pay $240-$260 to get the whole truck done, might as well make a difference. %15 is understandable but anything over that is just a waste of $$$

8. May 20, 2010 at 10:12 AM
    McJosh

McJosh avidoffroad.com

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler
    Vehicle:
    2005 Reg. Cab 5 lug Tacoma
    Pioneer AVH-p2300DVD, 12" Memphis sub and Alpine MRP-M650 amp, 32" BFG AT tires and KMC wheels, tinted windows, satoshi grille w/ stainless steel mesh, Avid front & rear tube bumpers, Cobra wx75 CB with 3' firestik, GaragePro bucket seats, FlowMaster 40 series, aFe CAI, Black head lights, LoJack and Autopage alarm installed, Avid sliders.
    Nice truck!

9. May 20, 2010 at 10:13 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    It gets hot in New Orleans too- I don't use that as an excuse to break the law. And you might think you see just fine- but I would be willing to bet you lose alot of small visual cues

Your goodies can be covered up by a sunshade in the window jsut as easily and more legally. Just because your buddy the cop said it was a good idea doens't mean it's legal either.

They make clear ceramic films that are made to help with heat control.

10. May 20, 2010 at 10:16 AM
    epa4wd

epa4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eduardo
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR
    No issue here, Cops around here only stop you if you have anything lower than 40%. I have ~17% in the back, which I'm allowed. Trucks here have a Cargo license plate which luckily allows you to have any % tint after the front side windows. I have passed trough multiple police blocks which are common every weekend on certain places around here. Never been stopped or looked at twice. I have 40% on the front mainly due to people running illegal HID setups (awful glare) and due to the heat. HIDs will get you stop here very fast ($50 ticket) but people are now running a setup that when you flip to high beam it turns off the HIDs and turns on an halogen bulb to fool police.

11. May 20, 2010 at 10:22 AM
    ScottyKC

ScottyKC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Omaha
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Sport SR5
    Bilstein 5100 set to 2.5" lift in front. Rear TSB with 1.5" rough country. Bridgestone Dueller Revo2 265/70/17 Satoshi mod, and painted center caps, tinted windows.
    I have done this in the past as well. Never more than 50%. Can't even notice at night until a car comes at you and you don't have blinding lights shinning at you.

Cops around here have a lot of other things to do than worry about windshield tint.

12. May 20, 2010 at 12:56 PM
    Maintenance Man

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Atlanta, Ga
    Vehicle:
    Thats great information, The tint I have on my truck was bought from a company that usually sells and installs tint on building to keeps heat out. And I buddy of mine installed it on my truck. But, I do have to agree with you, regular window tint only blocks uv's. So if anybody is looking to keep heat down inside there truck, look up this information that is quoted above....it will help!

13. May 27, 2010 at 1:34 PM
    bagster

bagster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Insurance companies love policy holders with tinted windshields. Gives them a good excuse not to pay off in the event of an accident.

14. May 28, 2010 at 3:58 PM
    StatutoryAPE

StatutoryAPE Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    Phoenix,AZ
    Vehicle:
    2000 Prerunner xtracab
    TRD Headers,CAI, dynomax super turbo, blacked out headlights, Smoked LED tails, Billy 5100 w/OME 881's and 5125's in rear, rear tube bumper, tint 35% front 3 windows & 5% in rear 3. fiberwerx 4.5's
    I just got my windows tinted last week. 5% in the rear, 35% on the front two plus the windshield. It really does help with the sun and heat getting in the cab.

My last car was a maxima and i had all windows 5% and windshield 35%, the car was black so it looked sic IMO. My friends would tell me when they rode in it that they felt like they were on another planet. AZ is bright even at 7pm

15. May 28, 2010 at 4:02 PM
    jefferson

jefferson needs to stop cruising Buy/Sell/Trade....

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    San Diego (North Park!), CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    toyota brand hitch and uhaul wiring harness, fog lamps on anytime, bed lamps, map lights on with dome, day time running lamps, remove secondary air filter, painted bumper grill, Double Din touch screen stereo, Sockmonkey custom SR5 decal, door & seatbelt bells disabled, painted engine cover, installed compass/temperature overhead console, failed mod: passenger side auto down window switches, weathertech front mats, RedLine hood struts, Cheap Beep piezo buzzer locking beep, 5100s in the front set at 2.5, 5100s in the rear, AAL, hitch safe, revenge fab sliders, bed bar, prerunner light, cb wired
    cops in california would eat you alive

16. Jun 27, 2010 at 9:25 AM
    twfsa

twfsa Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Omaha Ne
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD 4X4
    881 Front coils, Bilstien 5100's all the way front set to "0" Icon Dynamic's mini leafs in rear, stock tires.
    Same here in Nebraska. I just put the sun shade in the shield on sunny hot days.

17. Jun 30, 2010 at 8:29 AM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I would be so worried that if I got in an accident and the other person saw that the windshield was tinted that I would get the s**t sued out of me.

And come to think of it, if I get hit by someone who has their windshield tinted....I'm going to sue the s**t out of them! Same thing if I rear-end someone with tinted taillights.

18. Jun 30, 2010 at 8:39 AM
    Pope953

Pope953 That's a fact Jack!

Member:
    First Name:
    Wesley
    Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    SR5 Pickup
    35% up front, 20% in the back window tint, 15" Mickey Thompson bullet hole wheels, with 31x10.5 Firestone Destination A/T tires. Glass Pack, High Flow Cat, S&B CAI, Custom Light Bar with 4 fog lights. 2 10" Rockford Fosgate P2 subs with 1000 watt Rockford Fosgate Amp, CB.
    Not exactly. In North Carolina there are many people that have their whole windshield tinted. I didn't notice it until I got my windows tinted. I just have the front strip. If you pay close attention there are actually quite a few people that have the whole thing tinted. Most cops aren't going to waste their time to pull you over for window tint. Maybe where ya'll live but not anywhere else that I've seen. They might pull you for speeding and say we better check your tint too. But people that have their whole window tinted shouldn't worry too much because driving down the road and you pass someone you can't even tell its tinted, it just looks like a glare. But like I said cops won't waste their time to pull you over for it. I have plents of friends that are cops and know plenty of troopers and they all tell you they won't pull someone over just for window tint. Too much paperwork for them, especially when they have their windows tinted illegally as well.

19. Jul 1, 2010 at 5:39 AM
    twfsa

twfsa Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Omaha Ne
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD 4X4
    881 Front coils, Bilstien 5100's all the way front set to "0" Icon Dynamic's mini leafs in rear, stock tires.
    If someone with a tinted windshield ran into me my lawyer would have a hay day sueing there pants off!

20. Jul 7, 2010 at 4:20 AM
    JustTaco

JustTaco i work for the Empire

Member:
    First Name:
    justin
    Rapid City South Dakota
    Vehicle:
    in work
    thats strange when i gets hot i just use my a/c, cheaper and less dangerous and how is this a product review?:notsure:

Products Discussed in

To Top