1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Frontier VS Tacoma

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Hiatt1991, Sep 11, 2010.

1. Sep 13, 2010 at 1:37 PM
    MTLTaco

MTLTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Montreal
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD
    Nissan=Fisher Price

2. Sep 13, 2010 at 1:52 PM
    350TacoZilla

350TacoZilla Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hancock MD
    Vehicle:
    1997 3RZ 5spd 4x4 Reg Cab
    2.7L 3RZ,K&N filter, 4" deck plate mod,flowmaster 40 series,3" suspension lift, hybrid 52"chevy/toyota rear springs.
    HA HA :laughing: you've never needed a "real" truck have you?

f150 may be half ton fullsize but no where near best fullsize dodge/cummins

and i dunno even about 1/2 ton the new ram seems to get alot of good reviews even from ford guys, same way the all new chevy gmcs seem like alot of guys like them I think its more your a ford guy you like ford.. me personally I have owned dodge/chevy/ford full sizes and which one I prefer depends more on the year and price more than brand they all have faults

back on topic when my gf wanted a small truck we test drove numerous 1st gen frontiers including a supercharged one then drove a few tacomas 4cyl+ 6.. she made the comment the toyota 4cyl felt like the nissan 6 and the toyota 6 felt more powerful than the supercharged nissan..toyota tundra was the actual final purchase she decided on. (she liked it better lol)

I have often thought about a 1st gen double cab long bed frontier (something toyota didnt make) and drove few ...hated the feel..sat low turned like a fullsize low on power when you need it in a truck (down low) felt more cramped inside... as for 2nd gens well neither the frontier or tacoma is a mini truck anymore so I wouldnt take either if you handed me the keys

3. Sep 16, 2010 at 11:03 AM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans DISPLACED VIKING LIVING IN WYOMING

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    FULL AEV PROSPECTOR KIT++
    i'm not a fan boy of anything... i drove a 2002 nissan frontier kingcab supercharged for 3 years it served me well as did the other 5 nissans i owned did. never had any problems with any of them at all. seeing as this is my first toyota ever i can say i'm excited to join the club and i'm looking forward to picking up my truck on friday. but i must say the primary reason for choosing the toyota over the nissan is packaging. meaning what is nissan thinking not having a high riding four cyl 4x4 with a manual. the toyota fit my needs and wants in a truck nissan simply did not offer any thing that interested me. now toyota def has a bigger aftermarket which is also exciting when i had my frontier i could not find anything for the truck that didnt have universal written on it. i have heard alot of people saying that nissans are cheap and thats not right at all they are very well built, and one of the few cars like toyota and honda that are affordable and carry with them bullet proof reliability and excellent build quality.

4. Sep 16, 2010 at 11:12 AM
    Tidrow

Tidrow Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    PreRunnin' 08
    BHLM, All Black grill, Fog light Mod, AFE pro dry, 20% tint, Weathertechs, Kenwood deck, Bridgestone AT Revo 2
    x2 the new fords are nice!

5. Sep 16, 2010 at 11:13 AM
    stunt man hans

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    on a side note i like the look of the pro4x but every other trim of the frontier is but ugly! also i could not stomach only getting 14 mpg city! the yota looks the part, has an inch or so more ground clearance and has a bullet proof 4 banger! my new soon to be truck is the way a truck should be good on gas high riding great off road and roll up windows with ac dude i'm stoked! now i can say the one thing toyota fucked up on is the arm rest in the reg cab am i missing something? i don't mind the bench so much although it should be 60/40 and have an arm rest if they did that they would have a truck that would be an instant classic.

6. Sep 16, 2010 at 11:29 AM
    IslandBoy71

IslandBoy71 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Reggie
    Lakewood, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD PreRunner Sport SR5 DC
    TRD Intake,Flowmaster Super 10 exhaust, King 2.5 c/o adjusted to 3inch front and King 2.5 rears w/AAL. Custom bed rack, rock sliders and rear tire carrier.
    2nd gen Tacos also hold their resale value far better than the Frontier.

7. Sep 19, 2010 at 12:23 AM
    07liberty

07liberty New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Indianapolis
    Vehicle:
    07 Taco TRD
    My ex wife has the 08 Frontier and I have the Taco. The Toyota drives better.

8. Sep 19, 2010 at 7:13 AM
    Boilerman

Boilerman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Texas, northwest of the Big Pond
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prerunner SR5 Magnetic Gray 2.7L
    To me the Frontier has the stance of a car, sits too low to the ground. I want to be up in the air so I can see what is ahead of me. I love my Prerunner:p

9. Sep 20, 2010 at 7:14 AM
    ace96

ace96 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western KY
    Vehicle:
    '11 SWB DC TRD SPORT
    AVS bug deflector, Weathertech digital fit floor mats, TRD skid plate w/ Sockmonkey decal, SOS Cocept sliders w/ Line-x, Pioneer 3500, Hybrid Audio Technology Mirus 6X9s & 6.5s, back up cam mod, Wet Okoles-front & rear, TRD exhaust, 17X9 XD Spy w/ Falken Wildpeaks, Avid light bar
    I couldn't agree more. Aftermarket wheels help but then it takes at least 3 in lift just to get it to look decent. Looking forward to getting a Tacoma.

10. Sep 20, 2010 at 9:11 AM
    korny351

korny351 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Stockton, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB SR5 4X4
    In '07 I checked out a Frontier Crew Cab and the deciding factor was backseat comfort. Rear seatback angle was bolt upright, giving you a knees to your chest feeling. If I was going to pay extra for the rear seating I wanted it to be comfortable for my passengers as well.

11. Sep 20, 2010 at 9:25 AM
    stunt man hans

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    +1 i was looking at a pro4x and it was so low to the ground!!! my regular cab 4x4 taco looks to my eye like it sits at least 2 inches lower. this time around i'm really glad i did not buy a nissan lol. my taco is way more truck like than my old frontier or my ford. i think i'm a toyota guy now.

12. Sep 20, 2010 at 10:11 PM
    Bozack

Bozack Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rube
    Dirty South
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC
    I bought the Taco because it just looks better. It's beefy, reliable and sexy as hell. When I first saw the 2nd gen Tacos, I couldn't make myself even look at another truck. Anyway, my friend got a service bulletin in the mail, that basically said his 07 Maxima's tranny would last about 5 years. Which reminded me of my '94 Pathfinder's tranny going out with just 105k on the dash. Hell my 94 F-150 has 177k on the dash with no problems. Nissan has lost a lot of it's dependability.

13. Sep 24, 2010 at 10:46 AM
    StinkyNuts

StinkyNuts Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Topeka, KS
    Vehicle:
    lifted SR5
    3" Old Man Emu Kit, GrillCraft, Hella Black Magic with HID Mod on the way......
    No Nissan hate here. I’ve owned 3 Toyotas and 2 Nissans. I have never had a problem one out of either brand. Can’t say the some from my Ford and GMC. I traded my Xterra off for my 09 Tacoma. The Xterra was a great little truck for me. Same frame and drivetrain as the Frontier.

When you compare Nissan and Toyota to each other. You can tell quickly where the extra money goes in the Toyota. The fit and finish is better in the Toyota. As for the reliability goes, in my experience both are equal. Resale and holding value it’s Toyota again. But if you’re looking for a well built truck with a cheaper sticker price. Nissan is a very good option. But if you want the thrill of driving and a emotional response every time you climb in your truck, go with the Toyota.

My $0.02…….

14. Sep 25, 2010 at 5:31 PM
    07liberty

07liberty New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Indianapolis
    Vehicle:
    07 Taco TRD
    That was very well said.I have also owned both Nissan and Toyota products and been equally satisfied.My personal prefrence are with looks and how they make me feel when I drive them.Toyota wins every time.

15. Sep 25, 2010 at 5:45 PM
    zeeya2000

zeeya2000 Cajun Taceaux

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Bad-Ass PreRunner
    Flowmaster super 10 series turndowns/ Volant CAI system/ Alpine deck, Alpine bass speakers throughtout with tweeters, Alpine PLT-5 Sub/ Blacked out front bumper and door handles/ 5% and 20% tint/ Bilstein 5100 adjustable shocks all the way around with a 1.5'' block lift in the rear/ also removed my running boards and mudflaps/ Blacked out badges - TRD windshield banner - TRD third brake light cover (all courtesy of SockMonkey)

...Fuck ford...

16. Sep 25, 2010 at 5:49 PM
    ThisGuy

ThisGuy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    litchfield park, az
    Vehicle:
    All Black 2010 4x4 DC TRD Sport
    3" lift, PC wheels, 33" Cooper SST. Volant intake w/ scoop, Gibson exhaust, black tails & 3rd, grillcraft black mesh....more to come
    ^^what they all said
    and i actually work at a nissan dealership LOL

the fronty is a good truck and honestly we dont see a lot of problems with them at the shop. in my opinion they are equally reliable. tacomas may be a little more capable but you pay extra for that and to me its worth it. the frontys just dont have enough style, they look bland to me and thats a huge deciding factor....especially when it comes to all the sweet ass mods!!
    When it comes to cars, however, Nissan takes the cake in my opinion. I have a maxima and love it.

17. Sep 25, 2010 at 10:49 PM
    stunt man hans

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    i have had my tacoma for a few weeks now its the first toyota i have ever owned and i must say i am really impressed with it i think its my favorite truck ever lol. i picked up a bsp regular cab 4x4 4cyl 5 speed manual and it sits high rides pretty good and is quite and refined on the roads and off them its way more of a truck than my nissan truck was. and yes my nissan was the top model and my new taco is basically the cheapest model you can buy. but fit and finish is two notches higher in the toyota for sure it just feels tight and solid and i have taken it off road a few times already haha i could not resist.

Products Discussed in

To Top