1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Frozen Brakes

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Tacoma831, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Jan 24, 2011 at 10:46 AM
    Tacoma831

Tacoma831 [OP] Member

Member:
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Sport 4x4
    OME 886 Coils, OME Shocks, OME Dakars, Snug Top, De-Badged, ARB Bullbar, XRC8 Winch
    I was in Tahoe this weekend and every time I tried to drive my truck in the morning it was completely locked up. My rear tires would barely spin and the front wheels wouldn't budge. I was forced to use 4x4 just to get the truck moving and eventually it would start rolling normally again. Has anyone else experienced this with these trucks? This is the first vehicle that has done this in my experience.

2. Jan 24, 2011 at 12:09 PM
    skistoy

skistoy Make mine a Double!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 SR5 BSP Double Taco
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
    i could see the rear tires having the parking brake frozen somehow

But dont understand how the front brakes could be a issue,

the front brakes cant be applied while parked.

It was -10 degrees here this morning, had no issues.

3. Jan 24, 2011 at 12:14 PM
    Hellmutt

Hellmutt Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Piqua, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '08 SR5 TRDsport 4x4 DC
    sadly, I've only put Husky Liners in it thus far - tend to blow all my cash on my bikes and guitars.
    If all 4 wheels are affected, I wonder if you've got a master cyl. issue of some sort? Fluid levels good with a slightly amber tint to it? If it's really dark, it could have water contamination in it that ( I'm guessing ) could possibly freeze if the temps there are low enough, but I've never heard of this - anybody else?

4. Jan 24, 2011 at 12:17 PM
    Tacoma831

Tacoma831 [OP] Member

Member:
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Sport 4x4
    OME 886 Coils, OME Shocks, OME Dakars, Snug Top, De-Badged, ARB Bullbar, XRC8 Winch
    I thought it was the parking brake too....until my rear tires started spinning. I'll go check and see if the fluid looks ok.

5. Jan 24, 2011 at 12:20 PM
    Tacoma831

Tacoma831 [OP] Member

Member:
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Sport 4x4
    The brake fluid is full and it has a nice light yellow color; looks good to me. I had the same issue last year in Truckee one morning. This happened two days in a row this last weekend. The truck really had to fight to move when I was in 4x4.

6. Jan 24, 2011 at 12:22 PM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    Keep a propane torch next to you go to tahoe?

7. Jan 24, 2011 at 12:23 PM
    05Moose

05Moose Middle-Aged Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    In the snow (NorCal)
    Vehicle:
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 #8 (LSD, Tow Pkg)
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 (LSD & Tow Pkg), Timbrens, AAL, 5100s (.85), Owned: 12/3/04 Mods: Fog, Map/Dome Light, Illuminated 4wd Switch, Washable Cabin Air Filter
    We've got one guy over on TN that recently purchased a used Taco that's having the same sort of problem with only his left front brakes sticking in the cold. He's slow to follow up on the recommendations (and it's very cold where he lives), but I see the similarities between the two problems:
    http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=369387

8. Jan 24, 2011 at 12:23 PM
    skistoy

skistoy Make mine a Double!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 SR5 BSP Double Taco
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
    Do the brakes maybe need a good cleaning / adjustment ??

May-be not fully retracting once stopped, then freezing overnight ???

9. Jan 24, 2011 at 12:27 PM
    Tacoma831

Tacoma831 [OP] Member

Member:
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Sport 4x4
    I think the brakes should be in good condition since my truck only has 34k miles on it. They have seemed a little weak lately though; I'll have to pop off the wheels and take a closer look one of these days.

10. Jan 24, 2011 at 2:04 PM
    PPower05

PPower05 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Perry
    Ranson, WV
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5
    I just experanced what you are talking about... It was 20 degrees all day, then 9 degrees at night... That day I washed my truck, and when I woke up in the morning and tried to put the truck in reverse, nothing! I revved up to 2K and nothing... I then gave her a little more, and POP!, away she went! A couple questions:
    Did you use the parking brake when you parked for the night? If you did, that would explain (atleast in my head) why the rear end was giving you trouble.
    Where you driving in/around snow or did you expose your truck to water?
    Both would contribue to your problem... Mine didn't sound/feel good at all when they finally broke loose.
    All that needed to happen was for you to get your wheels/rotors wet, and then have that water re-freeze on your pads...

11. Jan 24, 2011 at 2:10 PM
    drade

drade BRUINS 4 LIFE

Member:
    ME
    Vehicle:
    2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road Short Cab Silver
    TRD PRO skid plate, wet kole seat covers, tint all around, red line tuning quick Lift system, paint protection film, gloss blacked out OEM emblems, electric start, heated seats.

Hmmm.. -10 and your front brakes acted like that. Very strange this is the first time I have heard about a issue like this. It's -17 here right now in maine (costal area).... My truck didn't have braking issues but it did take a little "nudge" to get it to move this morning. Could be that its parked in mad snow too. Good luck, 34k miles with that issue is really weird.

12. Jan 24, 2011 at 2:21 PM
    Mod

Mod Well-Known Member

Member:
    CR, WA
    Vehicle:
    1999 8 port 3RZ 4WD SR5
    stock
    When it's really cold out, snow or no snow, I never set that brake. Been stranded a few times until I could get things thawed out and released. I always pack a wheel chock now if needed, or find something to chock a wheel(s) with. I used to be a serious ski bum, and experienced it more than once, all because I forgot and set the e-brake in the hard cold.

Maybe try pumping that brake pedal next time it does it, rapid fire, sometimes that will free up a frozen system.

Very odd situation anyways.

13. Jan 24, 2011 at 2:35 PM
    Jdaniel1274

Jdaniel1274 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Orange County, Ca
    Vehicle:
    01 DC TRD 4X4
    PIAA lights, OMD leaf spring mod, magna flow muffler, oil filter relocation kit
    Very common problem in the winter. Just ride your brakes to warm them up before you park your vechicle. Do not use the parking brake when the temperature is below freezing.

14. Jan 24, 2011 at 2:40 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy This ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Bill Hickok

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD OFFROAD 4x4 VSC/TRAC/DAC/HAC
    snugtop, piaa, weathertech, westin, oem bed mat, trd seat covers, avs inchannel vent visors, 2" suspension lift, front diff drop, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extention & reroute, front window tint, cat theft protection plate, tailgate clamp mod, xpel headlight/foglight protecters, oem block heater, bfg 265/75R/16 a/t k/o's, cabin air rodent protection screen, rcbs illuminated 4X4 switch mod
    You beat me to it...I was going to ask the OP if he had just washed the truck and let it sit overnight. I've had the very same thing happen a couple years back after washing and trying to move it the next morning. After giving it enough gas the truck made a hell of a noise it finally broke free. I haven't had it happen since but I make a habit of driving a couple miles after washing it now to dry off everything off. I think in my case it was a matter of things rusting up rather than freezing. I've also read of other's having this same issue after launching a boat and comeing back to a seized up truck...

15. Jan 24, 2011 at 4:26 PM
    cantac09

cantac09 Official TW Igloo Builder

Member:
    First Name:
    Hugh Jass
    Saskatchewan
    Vehicle:
    tundra
    stock
    thats pretty weird. you hear of air brakes freezing up when it gets cold but i've never heard of hydraulic brakes freezing.

16. Jan 24, 2011 at 4:31 PM
    PPower05

PPower05 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Perry
    Ranson, WV
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5
    The hydraulic brake fluid is not the actual thing that is freezing, just water to the rotors

17. Jan 24, 2011 at 4:46 PM
    cantac09

cantac09 Official TW Igloo Builder

Member:
    First Name:
    Hugh Jass
    Saskatchewan
    Vehicle:
    tundra
    stock
    oh sorry i read it wrong. still though i've never had that problem.

18. Jan 24, 2011 at 4:57 PM
    A7XTaco

A7XTaco Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    You don't want to know...
    I've had my parking brake freeze a few times. I drive a standard so I use it out of habit.

One time it was so bad that I couldn't even get the truck to move (damn 4cyl), so I discovered if I just slammed the parking brake in and out a bunch of times it would free up.

It seemed like to me it was frozen water in the parking brake cable line, but it could have just been on the pads.

19. Jan 24, 2011 at 4:59 PM
    AKTACO420

AKTACO420 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    RETODD
    Anchorage AK
    Vehicle:
    2009 tacoma
    bucket seats grille craft mesh grille and lights behind grille
    I just recently made a winter off-road trip and we encountered a lot of water and this morning my parking brakes were frozen I just put it in 4 wheel drive and it broke free

20. Jan 25, 2011 at 11:06 AM
    Tacoma831

Tacoma831 [OP] Member

Member:
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Sport 4x4
    The thing that baffles me is that it was sunny and clear the whole weekend and I was parked under a carport. I did not wash my truck or put any water on it. I did however; use my parking brake.
    When I was using 4x4 to move the truck was sliding all over because there was ice and 1 or 2 wheels were still locked since I have open diffs.

To Top