1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Frusterated...couple of quick questions for the experts

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jantolov, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Oct 22, 2010 at 3:50 PM
    jantolov

jantolov [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    09 Off-Road
    I have 2 quick questions that hopefully someone can answer...

First of all my truck is a 2009 TRD Offroad Double Cab with 71k miles. I am the original owner and have taken it to the stealership for every maintenance requirement...

1) Today I took my truck in to have a rotation/balance and an alignment. When I picked up the truck I noticed a pulsating feeling when braking very similar to the feeling you would have if there was a warped rotor. This is very noticeable when braking especially when coming to a stop or breaking at highway speeds.

The guys at the tire shop (where i bought my Duratracs) told me it was probably because of uneven tire where that I am now noticing since the tires were rotated. Since I have my tires rotated during every oil change I told them to un-rotate the tires and they agreed the problem would go away.

Well the problem definitely did not go away and they aren't giving me any suggestions and are trying to get out of fixing it. I am going to bring it back to them tomorrow but thought i would check and see if anyone has any suggestions. Is this something they could have done wrong during the alignment? During the tire balancing? It feels like warped rotor, however, it was not there until they balancing/rotated the tires and did an alignment.

2) A second problem that i have been having is a chink/clunk sound. This happens almost every time i brake after pulling out of parking spot, and sometimes when normal braking. I had my wife drive the truck forward and backward trying to pin point the noise but it is very difficult. It sounds like it is coming rom directly behind the drivers side tire and is noticeably loud. At first i thought maybe something was stuck in between one of the skid plates but i tried pouding around to see if there was a rock or other debris and couldn't repeat it. Any ideas??

2. Oct 22, 2010 at 3:54 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    the clunking when in reverse may be a UCA or LCA bolt that has not been properly torqued down.

3. Oct 22, 2010 at 3:56 PM
    08pretaco

08pretaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 4x4 CM 5.7L SR5
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    The second clink clank noise might just be the brake pad, our brake pads "float" and the click clank might be it settling.

The first thing I have no idea how they can screw up your braking items while doing an alignment, they never really get near those items.

4. Oct 22, 2010 at 3:58 PM
    jantolov

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    09 Off-Road
    In reply to the UCA/LCA suggestion.....

Thanks for the reply.... it does sound like it would be coming from that general area. I am traveling for work for a while...do you think i can wait a couple of thousand miles and let the dealer look at it during the next service? I don't have any tools with me here in northern kentucky to really work on it.

Does anyone know what the torque specs are? I can buy a torque wrench and check them in the parking lot?

5. Oct 22, 2010 at 4:01 PM
    jantolov

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    09 Off-Road

If it is the pads "floating" how can i doublecheck this? Is it something that needs to be fixed?

although the pulse feeling is very similar to a warped rotor i don't feel anyhting in the brake pedal. Is there something else that could of messed up with the alignment that could result in a similar feeling?

6. Oct 22, 2010 at 4:03 PM
    08pretaco

08pretaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 4x4 CM 5.7L SR5
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    Id check the LCA and UCA bolts first and no the floating pad is just something that comes with the truck. Some people hear it some dont, I do.

7. Oct 22, 2010 at 4:06 PM
    Caduceus

Caduceus Well-Known Member

Member:
    in the Bluegrass
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB TRD 4x4
    I have nothing useful to add, but DAMN! 71K on an 09? You must do some serious travel. Or one hell of a commute.

8. Oct 22, 2010 at 4:21 PM
    jantolov

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    09 Off-Road
    Yeah unfortunately, I travel a lot for work and my current commute is pretty long. I feel like I am constantly in my truck.... good thing i love it. The 5k service seems to come up every 2 months though lol.

9. Oct 22, 2010 at 4:22 PM
    jantolov

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    09 Off-Road
    Regarding the "floating pad" idea... would it make sense that the noise hasn't always been noticeable until recently.... and i know that i am due for some new pads shortly? Since the pad would be thinner now that they are pretty worn there would be more float?

10. Oct 22, 2010 at 4:37 PM
    P-Hill Tacoma

P-Hill Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC Short Bed 4WD Off Road Barcelona Red
    Fr Bilsteins@1.75", Rr Bilsteins w/ 1.5" AAL & RideRite Airbags, Truxedo Lo-Pro Tonneau, Step Tubes, 1.25" Spidertrax
    They probably put your front lugs on with an impact wrench one at a time. This will warp your rotors faster than anything. That's why you are suppose to tighten them gradually in a star or cross pattern.

11. Oct 22, 2010 at 4:43 PM
    2TRunner

2TRunner Snoop Dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    My House Usually
    Is the brake pedal pulsating?

12. Oct 22, 2010 at 4:52 PM
    jantolov

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    09 Off-Road
    The pedal does not feel like it is pulsating. But the car pulses in a very similiar fashion as thought there was a warped rotor...

i know that it didn't do this when i dropped it off and it does it now... very disappointed with this tire shop.

13. Oct 22, 2010 at 5:16 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    The pulsing is probably caused by the tech not torquing the wheels correctly. Take them off, rotate them 180*, and torque the lugs to 80#. THe "Clicking" when backing etc, is just the brake pads, and most of these trucks do it. To test this, Go backwards, and apply the brakes 2 times. If it only clicks on the first application, and not the second, then its the pads floating. It will do it again 1 time when going forward.

14. Oct 22, 2010 at 5:16 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    The title said "Experts".......

15. Oct 22, 2010 at 5:19 PM
    2TRunner

2TRunner Snoop Dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    My House Usually
    I would suggest having the balance re-checked.

Car is not driving funny, pulling to one side or the other, hard to keep in a straight path, things like that?

16. Oct 22, 2010 at 5:50 PM
    jantolov

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    09 Off-Road
    The clicking only happens once in each direction so i assume that this must be the floating pad scenario.

As far as the tech torquing the lugs... they re-rotated all of the tires so that means they would have had to do this twice. Definitely possible however.

17. Oct 22, 2010 at 5:51 PM
    jantolov

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    09 Off-Road
    The original vibrations were taken care of by the balancing. There does not seem to be any other driving items that seem funny.

18. Oct 22, 2010 at 6:11 PM
    larryde09

larryde09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport, White Double Cab "Yeti"
    Current: DR750S-2CH Dash Cam, USB Fast Charger in stock blank, Hondo Garage phone mount Previous: 2006 Black 2.7L 5-spd SR5 4x4 Access Cab - K&N Cold Air Intake, Modified Magnaflow Cat-back Exhaust, Altezza Tail Lights, Pop&Lock Tailgate Lock, Extang Trifecta Tonneau Cover, PIAA foglights with stock switch, DrawTite Hitch, OBX Shift Knob, Hood Protector, Vent Visors, DIY step bars, DIY Bed Lights, DIY Ground Lights, DIY Tailgate Electrical Box, Aftermarket switches in stock dash blanks, Sony Head Unit, Illuminated 4x4 switch mod
    I'm with chris4x4....since it was fine before you gave it to them, they probably did something wrong. Since they didn't touch your control arms, the wobbling feeling very well could be an overtorqued wheel. Loosen them up, pull the wheel off the (might need a big rubber mallet if it was tightened down too much) and retorque them properly. I don't know how many times a young or lazy mechanic improperly uses an air gun.

19. Oct 22, 2010 at 6:15 PM
    ccextra1976

ccextra1976 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2011 timberland mica DC 4x4 off road
    X2

i'm still old school and scared of guns (you ever seen how they toss them around), i personally prefer an actual torque wrench.

20. Oct 22, 2010 at 6:16 PM
    jantolov

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    09 Off-Road

I will try this in the morning. thanks for the tip.

Products Discussed in

To Top