1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Frusterated...couple of quick questions for the experts

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jantolov, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Oct 22, 2010 at 6:35 PM
    JDMcQ

JDMcQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    The Mushroom Capital of the World
    :rofl:

2. Oct 23, 2010 at 3:21 AM
    Hank4444

Hank4444 Member...?

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Daphne
    Vehicle:
    09 Sport DCSB
    Dog-Proofed Rear seat, 5100's, Rear TSB, Tranny TSB, Fog light mod, map light mod, DTRL mod, Volant CAI with ram air, UltraGauge, Blacked out emblems, extra D-rings, Bedlined front valance, Satoshi, Hella 500ff 55w HID, Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler, Leather arm rests, Weathertechs, Hankook Dynapro ATM, Oil catch can, URD MAF Calibrator, Wheelers HD AAL, Thule Roof Rack, OME 885x with Lean Spacer, RedLine Hood struts, Access LE Tonneau, LED Bedrail lights,
    I had a similar problem with the clicking in the front.

I noticed that it worsened when turning the wheel side to side in short bursts (testing it out to find sound).

So I took the wheel off of the side I thought the clicking was coming from and looked round. I then noticed that the sway bar end links where loose.

Sooo... once tightened with the Allen wrench and I think 17mm wrench, I did the other side, just to be sure.

And the clicking stopped. Have not had problems since.

Not sure if your having the same prob, but this might help.

3. Oct 23, 2010 at 4:22 AM
    jantolov

jantolov [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    09 Off-Road
    Thanks for the reply, I will also check this out.

Headed out of town for the weekend... hopefully can get this shuttering problem fixed first thing this morning... see everyone next week.

4. Oct 23, 2010 at 7:09 AM
    Priddle

Priddle And now for something completely different....

Member:
    St. John's, NL Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Sport DCSB
    Current: Pelfreybilt front and rear bumpers, winch, icon front coils/shocks, Icon rear shocks, Dakar leafs, Camberg UCAs, Pumpkin Android stereo, custom sub box w/ 2x10" RF subs and Kicker amp, short shifter kit, Fuel Beast 18" wheels w/ 1mm offset, BFG AT2 285/65/18
    I noticed the same clunking sound too one day at a drive-thru as I was inching forward. After some searching it seemed the floating pads are the cause. When I swap on my winter wheels/tires I am going to check arms etc to make sure nothing is loose

5. Oct 23, 2010 at 5:15 PM
    2TRunner

2TRunner Snoop Dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    My House Usually
    I still say have them rebalanced, you might be surprised.

Being a tech, the distaste for the air guns/torque sticks is a little bothersome. Used properly they are a techs best friend. They are quick, they are easy. Used properly I've never ever had a problem.

I say do the rebalance b/c: 1. You say problem occured after rotation/balance. You say that even after rotating them back to positions before problem, problem still exists. Says to me it's not the rotation or tire wear. 2. They've had 2 chances to take the wheels on and off, if they couldn't get them properly torqued even 1 time (which would have either not caused problem to begin with, or would have fixed it), then it's time to find another shop with competent techs.

The only thing you haven't done is have the balance rechecked, you've rechecked everything else. Why not do that? It's very possible to screw up a tire balance.

6. Oct 25, 2010 at 8:15 AM
    jantolov

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    09 Off-Road
    So I took the Tacoma back to these guys on Saturday.

They "went through" all of the work that they had performed and said they couldn't find anything.

Then they offered to turn the front rotors for 75 dollars. After much arguing I am supposed to bring the truck back today to have the rotors turned for free. If this doesn't solve the problem they are going to put a different set of wheels and tires on to see if that fixes the problem.

There latest theory is that the GoodYear Duratracs have poor tread ware and that is my problem. He told me I should have bout BFGs or Michelins and i wouldn't have this problem.

We will see how today goes.......

7. Nov 29, 2010 at 3:44 PM
    jantolov

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    09 Off-Road
    After looking into everything I can think of with the truck I am still having this pusating issue when braking. This past weekend I replaced the front pads and rotors. I thought the problem must have been a warped rotor. However, the problem still exists.

Things checked so far:

Pads/Rotors replaced
    Lug nuts re-torqued
    Tires changed out still problem
    Suspension parts look tight

Any other suggestions?

8. Nov 29, 2010 at 4:06 PM
    TACOMA TRD

TACOMA TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM SPORT DC 4x4
    Alpine HU, Apline 6.5 3 way Speakers, Access Cover.
    I'm no expert, but just throwing this out. Were the wheel bearings checked? The only other thing it could be are the drums now. Have them take the drums off, shake the dust out of them and put back on. :notsure:

PS, which tires did you buy?

9. Nov 29, 2010 at 4:11 PM
    jantolov

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    09 Off-Road
    I don't know if the wheel bearings were checked or not. Is there a way to check these myself?

I currently am running the following:

Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs 30k miles so far.
    Hawk LTS pads
    Brembo plain style rotors
    Stock rear drums

10. Nov 29, 2010 at 4:17 PM
    TACOMA TRD

TACOMA TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM SPORT DC 4x4
    Alpine HU, Apline 6.5 3 way Speakers, Access Cover.
    OH, I thought you changed out the tires ( meaning new).....Depending on how they wore, it could possibly give a vibration under low speeds, which makes you think its under braking. My BFG's AT KO did this around 40k.

Wheel bearings, used to be you can jack a front tire up and with a tire iron under tire see if you can move back and forth. However, I also heard on the newer vehicles its not always full proof.

How about your drive line? CV's Driveshafts? any play?

11. Nov 29, 2010 at 4:51 PM
    greatfuldead

greatfuldead Active Member

Member:
    central ohio
    Vehicle:
    2010 accesscab 5sp 4cyl
    none yet
    I don't know if all sevice departments have morons doing repairs. I've seen a couple that are amazing. They fuck up stuff thats not even related to what you want done. My sister took her Toyota in for a new starter at our local dealer. They got the radiator overflow tank tangled up in the fans belts and pulleys,it was destroyed, They had to order a new one. Not sure what else was messed with,but the car never ran right after that. The free mantainance plan that came with with my truck,I'll pass.

Products Discussed in

To Top