1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

FS NEW SCOOP HOOD

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tacoma Parts Marketplace (2005-2015)' started by 05Taco4x4, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Jul 13, 2011 at 1:37 PM
    Oury

Oury Texas Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Oury
    Austin, Tx
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad
    stuff and more stuff
    dont trust anyone on ebay with a feedback lower than 100%. Im a power seller on ebay and ive never had any bad luck if your smart and know how to look at auctions.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Jul 13, 2011 at 3:12 PM
    Muy Grande

Muy Grande Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Dallas, TX; RGV, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD
    Suspension: DHoes up front, Dakar and OME out back. Audio: Alpine w205 w/ pair of Alpine Amps, Image Dynamic 6.5 Component Speakers up front and Image Dynamic Subs in the Back. Armor: ARB Bull Bar, Rocktek rear bumper and custom rock sliders. Other: Rigid Industries LED Light Bar, Platinum DieHard Battery, BlueSea Fuse Block, rear lights, bed lights, leds inside.
    I'm picking up the Certifit with Hood Scoop insert tomorrow for $103 out the door from the store in Arlington, TX. They only had one and it happened to be the Hood Scoop. I'm going to have a local guy paint it and he is charging me $150 including PPG paint and will help install. I will probably pick up the Hood Scoop insert from Toyota of Richardson since they are one of the cheapest and I can pick up local for $136 (all 3 parts, insert, glide, and plate).

So I'm going to spend $389 to get a Hood Scoop. Which I need because my truck got some hail damage and messed up my hood really good.

My only Dilemma is should I get a Black insert or a color match (Indigo Ink). Leaning towards the Black because of color matching the factory paint may be a little different that the local guy painting it. :eek:

Help me out here......Black or Indigo Ink Insert. I have a lot of Black trim on my truck and I think it would look great.

3. Jul 13, 2011 at 5:44 PM
    1raptor

1raptor Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    wife has sport I have offroad
    stereo
    dont forget the rivets and nuts for the insert

4. Jul 13, 2011 at 5:56 PM
    CopDoctor

CopDoctor Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    08 335i
    BMS Intake, JB4 chip, Plastidip everywhere
    are you new to the internet?

Untitled.jpg

5. Jul 13, 2011 at 6:45 PM
    05Taco4x4

05Taco4x4 [OP] ToyotaHubs

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2TR-FE Enthusiast
    FJ Tcase, Manual Hubs, 2017 Head unit, Mirror Riser
    i wouldn't be worried about the guy's paint being off from the insert, i'd be worried about the guy's paint being off from the rest of the truck, that's factory paint too you know lol
    if it's not noticeable from the rest of the truck it won't be from the insert
    i'd definitely go color matched, but that's me
    let us know how it goes and PICS :)

6. Jul 13, 2011 at 8:33 PM
    08FireRescueTaco

08FireRescueTaco 08Blue_Beast

Member:
    First Name:
    Hunter
    Roanoke
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Manual 6spd
    2008 off road 6spd manual Procomp stg 1 6in lift Allpro hd expo leaf pack 16in fuel boost wheels 315/75r16 motto trail grapples Flomaster duel 40s exhaust Doug Thorley LTH Volant CAI Relentlessfab front bumper Fox 2.0 coilovers Prinsu designs roof rack Sport hood Urd short shifter Nfab side steps Bushwacker flares
    Have you fit tested it? and i vote on black for the scoop

7. Jul 13, 2011 at 9:13 PM
    cummins6speed

cummins6speed Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '05 4Runner Limited Edition
    Custom extended travel 2.5" King RR coilovers, 1.25" Camburg uniball uppers, homebuilt tube bumper
    Certifit may actually be a good way to go for me. I need a set of stock fenders to cut up and use to make a set of fiberglass fenders and a set of fenders from them is only $72

8. Jul 15, 2011 at 8:35 AM
    05Taco4x4

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2TR-FE Enthusiast
    did you get it?!? how is it?!?

9. Jul 15, 2011 at 8:49 AM
    97yota4wd

97yota4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    alot of metal, small engine, decent travel.
    caged, camburg long travel, 50t leafpack (soon to be installed) light rack over cab, 5pt harnesses etc

but 1510 positives. thats not bad! and not a single one was for the hood

10. Jul 15, 2011 at 8:58 AM
    Muy Grande

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Dallas, TX; RGV, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD
    Suspension: DHoes up front, Dakar and OME out back. Audio: Alpine w205 w/ pair of Alpine Amps, Image Dynamic 6.5 Component Speakers up front and Image Dynamic Subs in the Back. Armor: ARB Bull Bar, Rocktek rear bumper and custom rock sliders. Other: Rigid Industries LED Light Bar, Platinum DieHard Battery, BlueSea Fuse Block, rear lights, bed lights, leds inside.

I got it and I actually think it's made very good!!!! (Out the door price $103) Picked this up from "CERTIFIT" not the ebay vendor.

Getting painted this weekend, painter seems to be aware of detail. I gave him a piece from my front bumper to take with him to color match. He is going with Sherwin Williams paint and a stage 2 clear coat. ($150 to the painter includes all paint and install - I know seems cheap and you get what you paid for so I'm taking a gamble here it was $150 to this guy or $1200 to Toyota of Dallas (for paint only and not even an install). :eek:

I picked up the Black Hood Scoop from Toyota of Dallas.....it was the cheapest price I could find out the door $146.00 (this includes everything, rivets, nuts, etc.) I actually think it will look badass, the black has a little metallic flake and is glossy so it will match up perfectly.

I will post up some pics when it's done. Crossing Fingers here!!! :D:eek::D

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  11. Jul 15, 2011 at 9:00 AM
    Muy Grande

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Dallas, TX; RGV, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD
    Black Scoop it is!!!!! :D

12. Jul 15, 2011 at 8:40 PM
    05Taco4x4

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2TR-FE Enthusiast
    that's awesome

13. Jul 16, 2011 at 8:20 PM
    05Taco4x4

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2TR-FE Enthusiast
    i can't wait for pics... i assume the hinges just get unbolted and swaped right over?

14. Jul 20, 2011 at 8:49 AM
    Muy Grande

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Dallas, TX; RGV, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD
    Quick update:

Hood has been painted and is installed! :D The fit is almost perfect, the driver's side corner is not flush it's raised by about 2 centimeters can't really tell by looking only if you touch the corner. Might need to adjust the screws. Everything lined up from the bolt holes, to the small plastic inserts for the wiper hoses. I mean everything that I could take off the old hood was put on the new hood.

The only thing that seems to need a little adjustment was the hood scoop, it's flush and sits perfect on the front but towards the back there is gap about 3 centimeters so it did not sit flush. I don't know if it's supposed be be flush because I haven't seen a factory hood scoop up close. It might need a little adjustment, which I will work on this weekend.

Now for the paint on the hood. I paid $150 to get this hood done so I took a huge gamble here.......overall I'm very happy with the way the hood looks. There were some tiny tiny blemishes and the paint looks perfect when looking at it up close and right in front but at an angle and a few feet away, it looks just a tad darker than the fenders. Having said that, I am really happy and it looks great. I think I definitely got my money's worth.

In a nutshell, I would recommend the Certifit hood scoop to anyone wanting to get it. :D

I will post some pics when I get home today. :D:D:D

For those that are wondering.......the Black Scoop on the Hood looks killer! I think it gave me a few extra ponies!!!

15. Jul 20, 2011 at 6:58 PM
    05Taco4x4

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2TR-FE Enthusiast
    oh boy, oh boy, oh boy can't wait

16. Jul 20, 2011 at 7:52 PM
    WTtoolman

WTtoolman Facial bones colapse as I crack your skull in half

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Omaha, NE
    Vehicle:
    2006 Access Cab 4x4 TRD SWB
    5100s at 0, eibachs, 2" toytec AAL,, Moto Metal 951b, BFG A/T
    I hope you mean millimeters because 3 centimeters is over an inch. Anyways, thanks for the review, I drop off my certifit hood tomorrow to get painted!!!

17. Jul 21, 2011 at 7:38 AM
    Muy Grande

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Dallas, TX; RGV, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD
    Oh yeah, I mean millimeters.....not centimeters. :D

Feel asleep early yesterday after work. I'll post up some pics when I get a chance....sorry for the suspense. :eek:

18. Jul 21, 2011 at 8:27 AM
    WTtoolman

WTtoolman Facial bones colapse as I crack your skull in half

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Omaha, NE
    Vehicle:
    2006 Access Cab 4x4 TRD SWB
    5100s at 0, eibachs, 2" toytec AAL,, Moto Metal 951b, BFG A/T
    Kick-ass!! I can't wait to see it! Could you also snap some pics of the imperfections, as I'm curious to see where it's off?

19. Jul 21, 2011 at 9:18 AM
    Robo02cop

Robo02cop Well-Known Member

Member:
    Island of Nunya
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM DCSB SPORT
    TRD Intake, Avic D3 DVD Player, Toyota Bed Extender, & Tinted Windows.
    Definitely wanna see some pics as i have been thinking about doing the same thing!!!!!

20. Jul 21, 2011 at 7:24 PM
    Muy Grande

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Dallas, TX; RGV, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD
    Here are the pics. Includes the not so perfect areas I mentioned but not really bad at all. Overall very happy with how it came out and the price was excellent. :D:D:D

New Hood Scoop 1.jpg
    DR Side Off 2.jpg
    Gap around Scoop 1.jpg
    Hood Scoop 2.jpg
    Pass Side Corner Perfect.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top