1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

FS: u joints

Discussion in 'Buy / Sell / Trade' started by pb4ugotobed, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Jan 4, 2011 at 7:36 PM
    pb4ugotobed

pb4ugotobed [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have a couple U joints if anyone needs them. These are Toyota OEM U joints, not aftermarket crap. These are particularly common to fail on 2wd pre runner trucks. These fit 2006 and up, not sure about previous to that. They are brand new still in the box, with new "e" clips also included. These sell for $75-90 at the dealerships. Would like to get $40 each (shipped) or $75 for both shipped. I've sold a fair amount of stuff on here, and anyone that's dealt with me can tell you about the transaction. I'll get pictures up either later tonight or tomorrow evening.

2. Jan 4, 2011 at 7:46 PM
    ColtsTRD

ColtsTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    Not a bad deal at all...to bad they don't have grease zerks though! I just had my drive shaft re-built a few months ago, 2 of the 3 U-joints were bad and they re-placed em with u-joints that don't have zerks!...dumbasses

3. Jan 4, 2011 at 8:11 PM
    pb4ugotobed

Member:
    I don't understand at all why Toyota didn't build zerks into them. My old 4runner has them on every u joint, and the slip joint.

On the other hand, be very thankful that it isn't like my 2wd sequoia. No zerks there either, but Toyota doesn't offer a replacement U joint if one fails. Aftermarket doesn't offer anything either. Only option is a $800 driveshaft. Great job there guys...

But still I would rather have OEM U-joints than aftermarket with zerks though. There's something to be said for factory equipment. Even when I rebuilt my old 4runner, Everything (Except suspension stuff) was replaced and rebuilt with OEM stuff. I figured if it lasted the first 170k plus it should be good for another 170k plus. Besides, I've experienced first hand the MAJOR quality difference between OE and aftermarket... and the problems resulting from the latter.

Usually it's not until 75k-100k that the U joints start giving out, less if it's wheeled hard. But most start to eat them up at about that point. Just keep an eye on the seals at the base of the caps. Once they get hard (should be rubber) and crack, it's only a matter of time before you start to get some pretty gnarly vibration issues...

4. Jan 4, 2011 at 8:27 PM
    ColtsTRD

ColtsTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    Couldn't agree more! I started to get nasty ass vibes at around 100k and sure as shit...GOOOOOD LOL!!! Good luck with the sale bud! Hopefully someone jumps on this :cool:

5. Jan 5, 2011 at 7:17 PM
    pb4ugotobed

Member:
    Believe me, I've seen this failure more than once ;) The last one I got ahold of, shook so bad I honestly didn't make it past the stop light before I was too scared to drive the truck, it was shaking that badly. When I pulled the u joint apart, there were no traces of needle bearings left at all in 2 of the caps. Just a bunch of rusty dust.

pics attached finally

One box is still sealed. The other box I just opened literally 10 minutes ago to take a picture.

ujoints.jpg

6. Jan 7, 2011 at 6:58 PM
    pb4ugotobed

Member:
    Any interest or offers?

7. Feb 15, 2011 at 7:06 PM
    pb4ugotobed

Member:
    Anyone? Make an offer? They're not going to do me any good...

Products Discussed in

To Top