1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fuel filter? 1995, 261,000 miles

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by heyyyjude, Oct 3, 2010.

1. Oct 3, 2010 at 9:48 AM
    heyyyjude

heyyyjude [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy
    Sunol, CA
    Vehicle:
    1995 Tacoma, SR5
    Hi, I am new here. I have a 1995 Tacoma SR5, automatic transmission, 261,000 miles, V6. I worked for Toyota in the parts dept for 4 years a while ago so I generally understand the nuts and bolts of it all, but I don't work on my truck.

Yesterday, my truck started feeling like it was choking, or just running really rough and it felt like the engine was shaking. There is a sound from the exhaust that just sounds like something is not firing right. Not sure what it could be. A while back, the dealership told me not to replace the fuel filter, is that right? I don't think I have ever replaced the spark plug wires, or the muffler, or a lot of things. lol. I just recently replaced the shocks. I always do the tune ups and replace the timing belt. Any ideas what could make my truck shake like that? Thanks, Judy

2. Oct 3, 2010 at 10:09 AM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    welcome to tw.

could be a few things....but i'd start with changing the fuel filter(4 cyl is under intake manifold...pita to do, but doable)(v6 on frame rail on drivers side)......and also changing spark plugs/wires/cap and rotor button, and also cleaning the maf sensor. they are all relatively cheap to do and easiest to start there anyway.

3. Oct 3, 2010 at 10:13 AM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    Check your plug wires and boots for grey lines of discoloration. This will indicate arcing of the spark through the insulation. With 261k, I would say they are due. Check the coil pack/distributor for arcing too.
    I don't know why they would tell you not to replace the fuel filter. It removes dirt and other contaminents from the fuel and will eventually get plugged. If you doubt it's flowing, check your fuel pressure.
    Pound on your catalyitic converter with a rubber mallet, when it's cold. If you hear something bouncing around inside, replace it. The catalyist honeycomb has broken free and is plugging the exhaust.

4. Oct 3, 2010 at 10:24 AM
    heyyyjude

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy
    Sunol, CA
    Vehicle:
    1995 Tacoma, SR5
    Awesome. Thanks guys. My friends are telling me to sell the truck, but I just don't think I could ever do that! lol

I replaced the catalytic converter about a year ago, but just went to Midas for that. I hope it's just a fuel filter issue or spark plug wires and the other stuff like you said.

5. Oct 3, 2010 at 10:29 AM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    let us know what you find. and dont sell the truck.:)

6. Oct 3, 2010 at 11:19 AM
    twfsa

twfsa Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Omaha Ne
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD 4X4
    881 Front coils, Bilstien 5100's all the way front set to "0" Icon Dynamic's mini leafs in rear, stock tires.
    If the wires are arcing open the hood at night when its dark and look for spark jumping. May have to have someone power brake it a bit to put a load on the engine.

Power brake Engine running> in gear> Foot on brake> Emergency brake set>Foot on the Accelerator bring RPM's to about 2000. Don't stand in front of truck!

7. Oct 7, 2010 at 7:34 PM
    heyyyjude

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy
    Sunol, CA
    Vehicle:
    1995 Tacoma, SR5
    So, it was the spark plugs, and the spark plug wires, ignition coils and boots...1000 bucks later. I have never replaced any of that except the spark plugs in 15 years, 261K miles, and it runs great again!!!

I did call the dealer and they said there was no need to ever replace the fuel filter. Just FYI.

8. Oct 7, 2010 at 7:36 PM
    Blackened Taco

Blackened Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2005 AC 4WD TRD Sport Tacoma Speedway Blue
    3 inch suspension lift, 16 inch TRD FJ Cruiser black alloys, 33 X 12.5/16 Swamper Trxus M/T, Line-Xed Toyota skid plate, TRD exhaust, TRD cold air intake, Full tint to match factory tint, In channel wind deflectors, Custom wired hidden XM, Black shorty antenna, Black background headlights, Sockmonkey TRD decals, Kenwood 5120 HU with navigation, Boston Acoustic SL60 front compnonent speakers, SL65 rear speakers, Grillcraft lower mesh grille, Black badging, AromorTech Offroad rear bumper and rear shackle flip kit Access tonnosprt cover, 12 volt power adapter wired in under the dash for standard plug in items. Recently added Devil Horn Toyota Logo, Thanks Andres.
    Be careful with the fuel lines running to the filter, a dollar will get ya 20 that it will strip out faster than you can wink. Any check engine lights on?

To Top