1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fuel Gauge Needle Driving Me INSANE.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by sjwhitaker, Oct 26, 2016.

1. Oct 26, 2016 at 9:59 PM
    sjwhitaker

sjwhitaker [OP] Today Was A Good Day.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Berea, KY
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCSB TRD Offroad 6MT - Icon Stage 2 - 285/75/16 Falken AT3W
    I took my cluster out to put tape under the TPMS light overlay. Everything went as smooth as possible and I was done in less than 20 minutes. I put everything back in buttoned up the dash and went to bed. Came out to go to work the next night and noticed the fuel gauge needle was 2 needle widths to the left of E, completely over the letter instead of dead center of it. The tank was full and the gauge showed just over 3/4. Great. Couple days later and I found the spare time to pull the dash apart again and move the needle back to where it needed to be (pushed it over). That didn't work, it was correct that evening but when I jumped in the truck the next morning after work it was one needle width past E! Tonight I took it apart (3rd time) removed the needle entirely from the gauge, cycled the key several times with the needle off and then re-installed the needle to the exact location to should be with the key off. It worked perfectly. I let the truck set for 20 minutes or so while I swept the garage out and pulled the wifes vehicle in and when I got back in my truck to move it the needle had somehow moved itself a needle width towards the left of E. The needle now sets almost exactly over the vertical line of the E. I'm going to go check it again in a minute and hope it hasn't moved anymore. I hate to pull the dash apart again and if it doesn't move anymore and still shows full or over full with a full tank I'm just going to leave it. Stuff like this drives me CRAZY!

2. Oct 27, 2016 at 7:26 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
  3. Oct 27, 2016 at 10:42 PM
    sjwhitaker

sjwhitaker [OP] Today Was A Good Day.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Berea, KY
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCSB TRD Offroad 6MT - Icon Stage 2 - 285/75/16 Falken AT3W
    Fortunately everything is good to go now, removing and replacing the needle fixed my issue. I looked into disabling it before and found conflicting information and the 2010+ trucks. Live and learn.

4. Oct 28, 2016 at 8:15 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    Glad you got it. :thumbsup: for preserverance.

sjwhitaker[OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top