1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fuel guage is pissing me off

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Tacodan, Jun 2, 2012.

1. Jun 2, 2012 at 11:04 AM
    Tacodan

Tacodan [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma sport
    Any suggestions guys? would be helpful..

I know you guys are going to say to fill it up and check mileage, and I have done that, but it seems here in the last month or so my guage is readin between 1/4 to 1/2 tank all the time. It moves a little between those 2 spots and 1/4 tank being my "empty" spot.( i know because it has ran out of fuel right as I was pulling into work).

Im not sure what to do or how to go about doing it, but its really a pain checking mileage every day.

Its done this before, but seemed to go back to working correctly once where the needle was getting down to the empty level and light coming on.

BTW , I cant get the low light level to come on any more without almost running out of gas. I dont want to do this either because I know what it will do to a fuel pump. Been there, done that,

Only thing I can think is to carry an extra gallon in a jug in the tool box and run it to see what happens.

Who knows

2. Jun 2, 2012 at 2:43 PM
    Ryanv

Ryanv Toyota Technician

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    15 4Runner
    You need to inspect your fuel sender gauge in the tank and related wiring. It could be a bad sender in the tank, corroded wiring harness or a problem with you instrument cluster.

3. Jun 2, 2012 at 2:49 PM
    babytruck

babytruck Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Barcelona AC 4x4 4.0 6spd
    Ah yes, that happened to me in my SUV. Sending unit that is in the tank was the problem. Not a cheap fix either at over $800 since I was out of warranty.

I resorted to just filling it up, writing down the miles at fill up and then putting gas in every 200 miles.

That worked for about a year. Then I got a nice letter in the mail saying that records show that I was experiencing this issue, and to please bring it in for a repair. I guess there were a whole slew of people who complained.

To Top