1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fuel Milage for your 2nd Gen Taco..

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by perchie15, Sep 12, 2013.

?

Fuel Milage

1. 8-10mpg

5 vote(s)
    0.4%
  2. 11-13mpg

51 vote(s)
    4.0%
  3. 14-16mpg

287 vote(s)
    22.8%
  4. 17-19mpg

606 vote(s)
    48.1%
  5. 20-22mpg

238 vote(s)
    18.9%
  6. 22+

73 vote(s)
    5.8%
  1. Oct 22, 2013 at 1:38 PM
    AeroKen

AeroKen Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kendrick
    Littlefun, CO
    Vehicle:
    2wd Tacoma, 2.7L 5spd
    None so far
    So judging from my last fillup, I'm getting 28mpg. Sure to go down as winter gets nearer and as I begin to add more weight. Mostly just my work commute; lots of stop and go city traffic, but a little bit of highway.

2. Oct 22, 2013 at 1:58 PM
    Paleus

Paleus Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    '13 DCSB TSS 4x4
    I think the math is too complicated for most people to figure out that even though they get slightly better mileage on higher octane, they are still paying more for the higher octane fuel per mile.

3. Oct 22, 2013 at 2:25 PM
    longernamer

longernamer Active Member

Member:
    Here in Nebraska you could, until recently, buy 87 octane straight gas, 89 octane ethanol blend, and 91 octane straight gas at most stations.

The suppliers are now bringing in 84 octane straight gas, so they are mixing in ethanol to bring it up to 87. 89 is also a blend. It really isn't clear what is happening with 91 octane - I've seen straight and blended for sale.

I had been running 87 in it for the last year, but have now started experimenting. Over the course of 5 fillups, running 91 octane straight gas yields a cost about $0.02 cheaper per mile than 87 octane blended gas, despite the fact that the 91 costs from $0.20 to $0.60 more per gallon.

I'm early in this experiment, but at the moment it looks like 91 octane gas is cheaper per mile than 87 octane blends...

/rl

4. Oct 22, 2013 at 2:38 PM
    Konvict KROG

Konvict KROG Live Free or Die Trying

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Old Toyota's, Power Wagon, and a Tacoma
    Traded the 2015 TRD Pro 6spd Supercharged on a PowerWagon and could not be happier. My 2011 Tacoma with the TX Baja package (Added by me) is still treating me great. My 1985 Toyota never skips a beat.
    i have been fueling at the caseys by my home for the last year.

Recently they went from selling 87-gas 89-blend to selling 87-gas 87-blend

the prices are the same (difference) as before

here in kansas almost none of the gas stations sell non blended gas that is NOT premium grade (91 here)

i hated when i moved here and i lost power in the car (supercharged) coming from 93 to 91, not a huge amount but boost cut and timing changed enough that the difference was noticable.

5. Oct 22, 2013 at 7:27 PM
    worthywads

worthywads Well-Known Member

Member:
    Peoples Republic of Boulder
    Vehicle:
    05 5-lug access I4 Stick, 70 Challenger Vert

It will be going down with the weather for sure, the thin air at high altitude in the front range definitely helps the mpg. :thumbsup:

6. Oct 23, 2013 at 8:02 AM
    trint99

trint99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trint
    Conifer, CO
    Vehicle:
    2011 AC 4x4 TRD-OR
    4xInnovation sliders,5100 leveling lift,Anytime rear camera mod
    Currently stock, unless you count 100 pounds of rock rails.

About 20 miles a day, kind of aggressive (lead foot), city driving, 600' elevation (DFW,TX).

16-17mpg.

Best I ever got was 20 on the highway in Colorado pulling a motorcycle trailer.

7. Oct 23, 2013 at 1:27 PM
    perchie15

perchie15 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    TRD
    None,
    you can use which ever you want and depending how much money your willing to give up for the extra few octane when ppl can simply use octane booster... in the summer time i usually use 94.

I see lot of ppl get 17-19 thats awesome.. i dont know how they can get +20 but i guess that must have a pre-runner and such... and light foot ha!!

8. Oct 23, 2013 at 2:17 PM
    AeroKen

Member:
    First Name:
    Kendrick
    Littlefun, CO
    Vehicle:
    2wd Tacoma, 2.7L 5spd
    None so far
    Never thought of it that way, but I guess that makes sense.

Yeah, my Tacoma is a work-commuter during the winter almost exclusively (use scooter for fair weather work-commuting). Subject to heavy traffic, potential huge delays (rush hour accidents etc). During nice weather, it stays home or will take me places on the weekend.

I noticed you have pretty nice MPG. Did you do any mods, or just get the nut behind the wheel adjusted perfectly?

9. Oct 23, 2013 at 2:27 PM
    Bri dog

Bri dog New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    Magnetic Gray
    Running Boards, chrome exhaust
    I have a 2013 4 door TRD sport 4x4 and i have an average of 19.2 and all of it is around town. i use 87 octane no upgrades "yet". truck has about 1500 miles on it.

10. Oct 23, 2013 at 2:43 PM
    worthywads

worthywads Well-Known Member

Member:
    Peoples Republic of Boulder
    Vehicle:
    05 5-lug access I4 Stick, 70 Challenger Vert
    It's the nut, no mods besides synthetic oils in transmission and rear, and 44 psi tire pressure.

11. Oct 23, 2013 at 3:10 PM
    AeroKen

Member:
    First Name:
    Kendrick
    Littlefun, CO
    Vehicle:
    2wd Tacoma, 2.7L 5spd
    None so far
    Cool, that's like me roughly. I prefer synthetic (not sure it helps mileage, but I guess it may depend on the car and type , i.e. 5w30 vs 10w40 etc) and higher air-pressure. Having any kind of PSI preference helps a ton. Just being aware of it. One time, me and some friends were going out of state in his van for a multi-day camping trip. I offered to top off his tires and of course found one or two that were grossly underinflated. I think I put 'em up to 45psi, IIRC.

Anyway, sounds about right. Usually the most gains are found with the nut adjustment. ;)

12. Oct 24, 2013 at 9:23 AM
    DonziGT230

DonziGT230 Gearhead

Member:
    First Name:
    Oscar
    Hacienda Hts, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    '07 base taco. Sold. Now Taco-less
    Factory cruise added, wood storage box in bed, wood center console/armrest, charcoal air filter delete.
    Most octane boosters do little or nothing to raise octane and cost more per point per gallon than buying high octane gas. The few bottles that actually state a point gain say something like RAISES OCTANE THREE POINTS!!! Then somewhere in the fine print it defines their point value to be one tenth point, not the three full points they implied and it's only improving that much on 86 or 87. Once you buy higher octane the additive does even less. So you add a bottle of this to 87 and get 87.3 and paid $5 or whatever they cost, yay. Even if it were the 90 they implied it's still more $ than buying it at the pump. To top it off most of them raise the research octane and not motor octane so it's even more useless for your car/truck/motorcycle. Research octane is cheaper to raise than motor. Then there are "octane performance improvers" which are actually just cleaning additives. Those are based on the assumption that you have carbon build up causing detonation and IF this stuff can reduce it you've increased the 'effectiveness' of whatever octane you're actually using. Those often tout their super effectiveness by saying you only need one bottle every 3 tanks because it's so super bitchen it keeps working even after it's gone. I've tested three different octane boosters that claimed to be 'different' and better than the rest (their prices reflected it too) and none did anything to significantly reduce detonation on either of the test engines where higher octane gas did. If you enjoy putting foreign shit in your tank to achieve unquantified 'gains' through the use of undisclosed chemicals, by all means, enjoy. I'm not trying to start a war, only relaying my findings and opinion on the stuff. If you have empirical evidence to the contrary I'm all ears. If you actually want to raise your octane effectively you could mix in race fuel, but be careful because many are leaded. An often made mistake is to use av-gas (aviation gasoline) because it costs less per octane than race fuel. This stuff is rated in research octane so it's not as effective as motor octane for our use and it'll take more to do the same as race fuel. Don't even think about jet fuel as one of my friends did to his car once, it's basically diesel fuel. The last mistake I'll share is model engine fuel, it's alcohol/nitro methane and very powerful, if you manage get your engine to start on it somehow it won't turn off 'till it's in pieces unless you can stall it; saw that happen too.

I don't believe that octane alone will yield any improvement on these engines. Some higher grade fuels could have other properties that do increase power & mileage, I don't know. I get 20-22 in my Taco on the cheapest 87 I can find. For experiment's sake I'll try some 'better' 91 next tank and see what happens. If you get the specs for some different gasolines the one with the highest BTU/gallon will likely yield the best performance regardless of octane, assuming your engine doesn't require a higher octane.

I you want a cleaner, I've repeatedly proven Techron to actually work and I feel confident that it's been tested enough and controlled well enough to be safe. From what I've read, the same or very similar product is sold and recommended under different names by some OEMs.

13. Oct 24, 2013 at 1:54 PM
    perchie15

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    TRD
    None,

Honestly ive never really used the octane boosters. until i noticed my truck doesnt have enough power as it use to 10000km ago with 178000 on it, but ive used seafoam last few times, and seems to work well, but higher octane fuel yeah i have used it but i only when towing my boat lol i should really use it to see how it effects my truck just highway driving..

Thats funny jet fuel my buddy did use it in his quad to, and there was some more power. he didnt put much in it he did mix it up and still runs for now anyways haha!!

but yeah i hear you there brother!!

14. Oct 24, 2013 at 4:15 PM
    perchie15

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    TRD
    None,
    lol i know eh who the hell brought up octane?? hehehe... but higher grade fuel does have higher octane which if u wanted extra octane u can put china chemical straight into the fuel if ya like lol

15. Oct 24, 2013 at 10:16 PM
    Airforce131

Airforce131 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Hickory, NC
    Vehicle:
    '13 Magnetic Grey SR5
    I drive 90% highway and get 375 to the tank on km2's.....but thats pushing it a good 30 miles past the gas light.

16. Nov 2, 2013 at 8:18 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    That's not horrible.
    I normally gas up at around 350-375. I don't see the light, but if I push it to over 400 I will.

17. Nov 2, 2013 at 9:43 PM
    Konvict KROG

Konvict KROG Live Free or Die Trying

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Old Toyota's, Power Wagon, and a Tacoma
    Traded the 2015 TRD Pro 6spd Supercharged on a PowerWagon and could not be happier. My 2011 Tacoma with the TX Baja package (Added by me) is still treating me great. My 1985 Toyota never skips a beat.
    Today I filled the tank. 12.7 mpg

18. Nov 2, 2013 at 10:40 PM
    FloTaco

FloTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 SR DC 4X4
    I average 16.8 with the 6 speed manual, stock right now. My 4runner got 22mpg highway with 170,000 miles, with a lift and bigger tires. I attribute that to the deckplate intake and full exhaust. Does that help mpgs with these newer tacomas?

19. Nov 3, 2013 at 7:37 AM
    NoDak

NoDak Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Minot, ND
    Vehicle:
    16 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 Blazing Blue
    they should just make a sticky for all the threads people make for the mpg issue.

20. Nov 3, 2013 at 7:47 AM
    Marcoc

Marcoc Well-Known Member

Member:
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Off-Road LB
    2017 Tacoma TRD OR LB white w/tech package
    According to Fuelly app I am averaging 15.1mpgs, about 85% city stop and go driving. I pump 89 or 93 octane and I drive on the moderate side, not aggressive but if I need to pass someone have no issue hammering throttle. Truck has AFE exhaust, lift, 32" Duratracs, and I run synthetic oil. Air filter is replaced at 10k miles always and new spark plugs. Not sure how the hell guys are seeing 18mpgs+:confused:

Products Discussed in

To Top