1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fuel theft/gas tank skid plate build.....

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by chris4x4, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Jun 5, 2008 at 4:23 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 [OP] With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Thats what Im hoping for. My neighbor has a nice new Chevy and he fills it with 91 oct. all the time..:D

2. Jun 5, 2008 at 4:30 PM
    ph16drive

ph16drive \m/.....\m/

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Clevelandish
    Vehicle:
    08 DC, V6, 4x4, 5-Speed Auto
    Shorty antenna, Pop-&-Lock tailgate lock, Undercover bed cover, Aeroforce Interceptor gauge (custom mount), bed mat, AFE Pro Dry S air filter, map light mod, suspension TSB, Billy 5100's all around, Eibach springs, custom fuel tank armor plate, custom cat armor plate, painted front brake calipers, Grillcraft MX upper grill & Hella 500s, ipod adapter, dash pushbutton garage door opener, aux reverse lights, custom ipod nano 4G mount, seatbelt chime mod, custom bull bar w/ (3) Lightforce 140 Lance lights, POR-15 Chassis Coat Black drivetrain, illum 4x4 switch, xtra bed D-rings mod, locker anytime mod, diff breather relocation mod, ABS disable switch mod, Heated seats
    Chris . . . maybe I'm taking this one step too far but the only other thing they could steal under the truck is the catalytic converter. Any ideas about keeping that from happening?

In time, as out shop picks up work, I'm going to pass the fuel tank plate through as a G-job. Right now, business is down and it'll stick out like a whore in church. Thanks very much for the pix.

3. Jun 5, 2008 at 4:34 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    Havent thought about it, really. Seems the thieves are mostly going after the converters from the 4 bangers. The converters on the V6 are a little more difficult to get to. Its something I may keep in the back of my mind. :)

4. Jun 5, 2008 at 4:42 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    why not just install 1/8" plate steel across the entire span between the frame bars?!?!? lol

5. Jun 5, 2008 at 4:43 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    Good idea, but it wouldnt allow for frame flex. And it would weigh 600#s. :)

6. Jul 11, 2008 at 6:24 PM
    ph16drive

ph16drive \m/.....\m/

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Clevelandish
    Vehicle:
    Shorty antenna, Pop-&-Lock tailgate lock, Undercover bed cover, Aeroforce Interceptor gauge (custom mount), bed mat, AFE Pro Dry S air filter, map light mod, suspension TSB, Billy 5100's all around, Eibach springs, custom fuel tank armor plate, custom cat armor plate, painted front brake calipers, Grillcraft MX upper grill & Hella 500s, ipod adapter, dash pushbutton garage door opener, aux reverse lights, custom ipod nano 4G mount, seatbelt chime mod, custom bull bar w/ (3) Lightforce 140 Lance lights, POR-15 Chassis Coat Black drivetrain, illum 4x4 switch, xtra bed D-rings mod, locker anytime mod, diff breather relocation mod, ABS disable switch mod, Heated seats
    Are gas theives using drills or just puncturing the plastic fuel tank with something sharp? So far I've been told that they're using the puncture method in which case I'm thinking a 16 GA sheetmetal plate is sufficient, but if they're using drills (which I find hard to believe that the drill would be any good after getting fuel on it once or twice and arcing a flame) then I'm with you on the 1/8" plate Chris.

By the way, did you remove that plastic "skid" plate that mounts below the fuel tank (see attached) when you mounted your plate? There are some studs with nuts that hold that thing on and I was thinking of mounting my plate to those studs. Any thoughts?

DSCN1473.jpg

7. Jul 11, 2008 at 6:43 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    My truck didnt come with that. I welded a tab on the frame by the rear tire, then welded a tab on the cross member on the inside near the drive shaft. Then I made brakets to hold the skid under the tank about 3/4". My skid installs around the tank, and doesnt touch it. I was thinking for off road also. FWIW, I looked under the truck last weekend, as a friend was checking out my plate when he told me to look at it. Turns out that someone tried to drill thru it and the drill bit "walked". Looks like they made 2 attemts before calling it quits! :D

8. Jul 11, 2008 at 6:51 PM
    ph16drive

ph16drive \m/.....\m/

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Clevelandish
    Vehicle:
    You've convinced me to use 11 Ga (1/8") . . . and thank you . . . +1

9. Jul 11, 2008 at 6:52 PM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft

Damn! Just get it on and someone's already trying to steal your gas! :eek:

10. Jul 11, 2008 at 7:04 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    Well, its been on for a month, but, yeah! Bunch O crap! My Dad and I met at Bass Pro a couple of weeks ago. I think it happened there, as someone tried to break into his fuel tank also. They tried to pry the cap off his truck. He has a locking cap, and it just bent the shit out of the cap, and the fuel door. :(

11. Dec 14, 2012 at 5:36 PM
    CrazyMike

CrazyMike Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Canada , Aldergrove
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Sr5
    Well , I just had my fuel tank drilled and fuel stolen here in Aldergrove BC .Any chance of reposting pics from 2008 thread , they are already gone . I am looking to install meybe factory trd skid plate , used one and beef up sides and bottom a bit , any suggestions ? Pics of my tank on facebookk , I dont know how to put pisc here :-?

12. Dec 29, 2012 at 11:33 AM
    CrazyMike

CrazyMike Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Canada , Aldergrove
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Sr5
    just made my own skid plate from 3/16 in plate , better then 400 $ aftermarket , total cost 40 $ plate 20 $ misc parts , about 6 hrs

235 (Medium).jpg
    PC280009 (Medium).jpg
    PC280013 (Medium).jpg

lo2hi and Crom like this.
  13. Dec 29, 2012 at 11:58 AM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    Seems Photofuckit lost my pics, and I cant find them on my computer.....I might have to take more.

Products Discussed in

To Top