1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

full size spare tire storage

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by s.e.charles, Jul 21, 2018.

1. Jul 21, 2018 at 6:04 PM
    s.e.charles

s.e.charles [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    under is absolutely out.

so is hanging it off the truck anywhere.

anyone carry their spare vertical in the bed like in the olden days? (think Timmy & Lassie in their '58 Dodge) [​IMG]

2. Jul 22, 2018 at 8:36 AM
    azreb

azreb Geezer

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    '20 SR5 crew cab; gray
    camper shell, front camera, floor mats, cheap bed mat, dash camera, catalytic converter cover, fumoto
    Your picture shows what a narrow bed truck should be like. The new style is a waste in my opinion.

A few years ago I rigged up a holder for a neighbor to carry the spare vertically inside the bed of her chevvy. You could try that. The plastic bed on ours might make that a bit more difficult, tho.

3. Jul 24, 2018 at 7:02 AM
    s.e.charles

Member:
    I imagine the local fabrication shop can cobble something to bed rail mount with added webbing & binder ratchet gadget to hold the wheel & tire from rolling or wobbling, but I figured the Brain Trust has already considered this solution and didn't want to reinvent the wheel.

4. Jul 24, 2018 at 11:44 AM
    azreb

azreb Geezer

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    '20 SR5 crew cab; gray
    camper shell, front camera, floor mats, cheap bed mat, dash camera, catalytic converter cover, fumoto
    I carry a gas can at the back corner of my truck. There are two eyelets in the bed rail. I use a ratchet strap with an extra hook to connect to those eyelets, with the strap around the top of the can. The ratchet end of the strap goes diagonally across the can to the anchor at the back of the bed. Something like that might work for a spare tire.

5. Jul 27, 2018 at 4:07 AM
    s.e.charles

Member:
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  6. Jul 27, 2018 at 2:32 PM
    azreb

azreb Geezer

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    '20 SR5 crew cab; gray
    The ratchet strap holds the can quite firmly without any thing else required. FWIW, I use a ground cloth over the can to prevent unnecessary damage to the can.

For a tire, the ratchet strap would be below the center of the tire nearly all the way across. The bed is only about 17" high. I haven't tried it on mine--it looks like the tire would come pretty close to the camper shell on the side.

Products Discussed in

To Top