1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Full suspension or ARB locker

Discussion in 'Arizona' started by extremachn1, Aug 22, 2011.

?

What should I do???

Poll closed Sep 21, 2011.
  1. ARB Air locker and onboard air!

44.4%
  2. Full bad-ass suspension!

54.3%
  3. Something else (state what you think)!

1.2%
  1. Aug 23, 2011 at 8:47 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    locker. you already have new shocks and springs.

2. Aug 23, 2011 at 8:52 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    His is a SPORT... so he doesn't have A-TRAC (if he did, then he wouldn't need lockers and he could do the suspension without having to pick). There is no waiting for A-TRAC more than a second or two. It is TRAC that allows some spin before engaging.

Because it is a SPORT and you want to Off Road, then the rear locker is what will do you the most good. You already have the 4 low trac mod for the front. My '05 and '01 both had a rear locker and open front, and they took me to all the extreme places I wanted to go. You have limited slip in the front, so you should be fine for extreme 4x4.

Now, I have to ask... if you wanted to do serious off roading, why did you buy a Sport... the looks?

Have a good time in your truck!

3. Aug 23, 2011 at 8:55 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    OMG

4. Aug 23, 2011 at 8:59 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    It is a serious question... I am wondering if he was mislead by the salesman, like so many other Sport owners I have talked to? He is now having to decide on adding to the Sport's traction or doing a suspention upgrade. If he bought an Off Road, he would have a locker and A-TRAC and that would let him not need to decide on what to spend limited resources on.

5. Aug 23, 2011 at 9:04 AM
    fireturk41

fireturk41 I like to break shit!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    High Point, NC
    Vehicle:
    280k miles
    SAS, Locked front rear, Ufab sliders and bumpers, air compressor, 35" BFG KM2 on steelies and 36" TSLs
  6. Aug 23, 2011 at 9:13 AM
    97yota4wd

97yota4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    alot of metal, small engine, decent travel.
    caged, camburg long travel, 50t leafpack (soon to be installed) light rack over cab, 5pt harnesses etc

everytime you say A-TRAC do you get off or something?

maybe he wanted the sport because of the hood and what ever else comes in it that the off road doesnt have???

7. Aug 23, 2011 at 9:17 AM
    XPOTRPR

XPOTRPR CNC Programmer/Machinist

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    [2009 Supercharged Adventuretruck] & [1986 22r Minitruck]
    > BUILD LINKS >
    I'm pretty sure he just got a good deal on it with everythig he added.. S/C, rims, etc. Or It was the only one on the lot. Either way.. he still wheels it like it should be. Lol

8. Aug 23, 2011 at 9:45 AM
    extremachn1

extremachn1 [OP] I am an asshole, deal with it!

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BAD ASS SUPERCHARGED BEAST
    TRD S/C, TRD quick shifter, AFE CAI, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Fox racing shocks, TC UCA, All-pro expo leafs, Bestop soft top, Wet Okole black seat covers, Scan gauge II.
    I bought the sport for a couple reasons. 1 was looks but that wasnt my major concern. Mainly it was avaliability. I wanted a double cab 6 spd 2010 in white or green. This was the only one left west of the mississippi that met all of my needs. Plus at the time I had not really used the locker in my 2005 much at all and I was not aware of the addition of Trac and A-trac.

I could have waited and gotten a 2011 OR but for the deal I got his one for 31,500 new out the door with supercharger, exhaust, intake, 10 year warrenty, and a few other goodies I couldnt pass it up.

I traded my 05 in with super low miles for almost 20. Then I let them finance me at 10.9% for the remainder. Trust me, I know thats a horrible amount but you will understand why here in a second. So the dealer thought they were going to make a lot of money back from me on financing. Then when the first payment came due I walked into the dealer and wrote a check for payment in full. They were pissed but I made sure that there was no penelty for early payment.

So thats why I bought a sport instead of an offroad.

9. Aug 23, 2011 at 9:52 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    You misled the dealer !!

Lol

Holy role reversal Batman

10. Aug 23, 2011 at 9:54 AM
    G scott04

G scott04 ...

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Mesa
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner
    Hmmm I think you should buy presents for the Az members instead!!
    :humble::humble:

11. Aug 23, 2011 at 9:55 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Thank you, perfect answer... I am sure you will turn your Tacoma into the perfect off road machine!

12. Aug 23, 2011 at 9:57 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    That's awesome! It's good to see when the consumer pulls one over on the stealership just when they think they have you by the balls :D

I voted locker. From your first post it sounds like you're having more issues with traction than you are with clearance. Are you locking front and back? If so, that'd be a pretty badass set-up. :cool:

13. Aug 23, 2011 at 10:00 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC

Payback is sweet... the dealer did not tell him any of the Off Road's advantages in order to sell him a Sport...

If he had known about A-TRAC it may have been a different story today?

I wonder why the push of the Sport trucks is so great that salesmen don't try and promote the Off Road... unless in today's market that fake hood scoop is just so much of a draw? God, I hope they don't put it on the Off Road in the future!!:eek: LOL

14. Aug 23, 2011 at 10:13 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    You do tend to assume a lot .

15. Aug 23, 2011 at 10:34 AM
    Manwithoutaplan

Manwithoutaplan the full Monty

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Speedway Blue Trd 4x4
    -Nitro 4.56 gears - Arb Front and Rear lockers. -Rear Swing out bumper Curiosity of ( Dept .94) https://www.facebook.com/Dept94 -Tinted, -ProComp 6 inch lift with Icon Coil overs and Bilstein's 7100Resi -315/70/17 - 17x8 in Pro Comp Matte black rims 4.5 bs -East Coast Gear Supply Sliders -ALL Pro EXP LEaf pack -Camburg UCA's -CAB mount CHOP
    haha love it a-trac right away.

16. Aug 23, 2011 at 10:44 AM
    XPOTRPR

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    > BUILD LINKS >
    Hahaha.. never fails.. :) I could read Christian's and David k's posts all day.

17. Aug 23, 2011 at 10:53 AM
    XPOTRPR

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    > BUILD LINKS >
    You literally can't.. lol.

18. Aug 23, 2011 at 11:08 AM
    extremachn1

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    TRD S/C, TRD quick shifter, AFE CAI, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Fox racing shocks, TC UCA, All-pro expo leafs, Bestop soft top, Wet Okole black seat covers, Scan gauge II.
    Your right, its not. I walked into the dealership and told the guy I want a sport or offroad 4x4 doublecab 6spd, these colors, these options, this is what I am paying out the door. I dont care about your kids or wife, I dont care about anything other than the final price, your not my buddy, I dont trust you, and you dont have to sell me on the truck. I know what is avaliable where, I know your purchase price, the MSRP, the incentives, the dealer hold back, and how much the accessories actually are. We are not talking about a trade in or financing until we have an out the door price, understand?

This was litterally my opening line to the salesman. He just kind of stood there not sure what to say.

19. Aug 23, 2011 at 11:10 AM
    extremachn1

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    It wasnt that the dealer didnt inform me, I just failed to look for any updates. I just assumed the truck really hadnt changed since 05. It wasnt so much about sport vs offroad and the dealer pushing one or the other. It was avaliability of either one. I didnt want a 2011, I wanted one of the last 2010's as I was able to push for a better deal.

20. Aug 23, 2011 at 11:14 AM
    extremachn1

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    I am an asshole when it comes to buying stuff. I research exactly what I want and I can usually out talk/argue/debate most people. All my friends call me to wheel and deal with car dealers for them and other large purchases. I have walked away from a price differance of $10 over a motorcycle before because he wouldnt come down to my price. Plain and simple, I dont NEED to buy your product, I would like to buy it but if you wont deal, someone will sell me what I want for the price I want it for. I only buy from places that salesmen make comission from and I am a return customer to the same salesman if I work a good deal. I only get my home electronics from one guy at a video only because he makes comission and I can wheel and deal with him. He is more willing to make a deal because he gets a cut of it so the better deal he cuts means stuff I get from him the more money he makes.

Products Discussed in

To Top