1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fumoto Fact You Might Not Know

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by mquibble, Oct 12, 2021.

1. Oct 12, 2021 at 5:41 PM
    RustyGreen

RustyGreen A breaker point guy in a Bluetooth world

Member:
    sleeping in a chair
    Vehicle:
    2017 AC 4x4 Sport 6M Inferno
    Pavement Princess
    I take reasonable care of my machines -- this however is next level! :bowdown:

I know the Amsoil system has used the bypass filter setup for decades now, never heard of someone doing it outside the vehicle.

Was there a particular incident or conversation that got you to this level or was it more of an evolution kind of thing?

Do you do oil analysis as well?

2. Oct 12, 2021 at 5:50 PM
    mquibble

mquibble [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle:
    2021 TacomaTRD Pro
    I’m an engineer in aerospace and develop procedures for maintaining oil systems and oil analysis. This was a natural progression for me to incorporate this obsessiveness into my vehicles and it doesn’t cost much after the $200 bench setup cost. The filter will last for years and I do use this on three vehicles so the extra few dollars is worth it to me. I’m 60 years old now so ease of use is convenient and the extra level of oil maintenance dovetails nicely and directly into my day to day job.

I’m also competitive as all get up and I don’t need an opponent. I simply love to see what extra care could yield. I’m not old enough to see me get to 1,000,000 miles but that’s why I’m doing this. You should see the lengths I’ve gone to be able to average 66 mpg over a tank of fuel in my Honda!

I don’t analyze the oil because I know the oil is still good using 5,000 change intervals, monthly bypass filtering and use signature series Amsoil. I save the $30 analysis fee twice a year because the oil I take out of the Taco every 5,000 miles gets used in my 250,000 mile Honda.

What I’m doing actually surpasses how we maintain our military aircraft.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
  3. Oct 12, 2021 at 5:57 PM
    RustyGreen

RustyGreen A breaker point guy in a Bluetooth world

Member:
    sleeping in a chair
    Vehicle:
    2017 AC 4x4 Sport 6M Inferno
    Pavement Princess
    :thumbsup:

4. Oct 12, 2021 at 6:00 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
  5. Oct 12, 2021 at 6:01 PM
    GrizzledBastard

GrizzledBastard OH NO! I've built a Faux Pro!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    '21 TRD OR 4x4 DCLB Super White
    Not enough bandwidth on the internet to list.
    @mquibble I believe there is a pill or maybe a salve for those traits. :D :boink:

I ordered my F133N this afternoon. It'll be here on Friday. As soon as I hit the 5k mark, I'll install it along with the case of Mobil 1 0w20 I was able to snag at Costco for a decent deal. Cheaper than WallyWorld for 6q, at least. I'll also send a sample off to Blackstone to start baseline for the future.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0887M5LNG

Asianguywithatruk and RustyGreen like this.
  6. Oct 12, 2021 at 6:06 PM
    mquibble

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle:
    2021 TacomaTRD Pro
    Good on you. I get some weird satisfaction when I change my oil, filter my oil or cut the lawn. You should see my lawn! I’ve researched turf care extensively and have over 2,000 hours of research in my lawn. When I’m in, I’m ALL IN!

7. Oct 12, 2021 at 6:08 PM
    shotgunbilly420

shotgunbilly420 OG Owner 230k+mi club/Tacoma enthusiast

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Montesano, Washington elv. 66ft
    Vehicle:
    2017 trd Tacoma offraod AT Inferno
    315/75/16, 6in modded RC lift,Anderson Engineering manifold spacer,K&N air intake, URD YPipe, stock exhaust ,16" method nv305 wheels, AFE throttle body spacer, vf Tune program, JTL 3.0 Oil catch can x2, rear cat delete
    Amen I was following the other thread yeah it blew up . I back you %100 . The valve works flawlessly if you use it proper .

8. Oct 12, 2021 at 6:24 PM
    Buck Henry

Buck Henry Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 White TRD Off Road
    I am not worthy! :)

9. Oct 12, 2021 at 6:24 PM
    Stocklocker

Stocklocker Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17TRDORDCSBAT
    Listen, I’m not for or against Funmoto valves. I wouldn’t have one, simply because I would worry about it snapping off if the skid plate dented or from metal fatigue. Still I recognize street-oriented folks might find them convenient.

However……..the argument that Funmoto valves eliminate the risk of putting a crush washer on backwards is a stretch. If you can’t put the washer on the right way, who’s to say you have the brainpower to remember to close the Funmoto valve? Like it’s clearly “6 of one / half dozen of the other”. The Funmoto valve is just as prone to user error as a drain plug, if not more so. If you can’t handle the responsibility associated with a drain plug, Funmoto isn’t going to help you.

Besides, although the crush washer is technically directional, I’ve never heard of one leaking if it’s on the “wrong way” or if it’s re-used for that matter. I replace mine nonetheless.

Funmoto makes a cool product. I’m glad you enjoy it and usually remember to tighten it.

10. Oct 12, 2021 at 6:31 PM
    mquibble

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle:
    2021 TacomaTRD Pro
    One thing you fail to realize between the two scenarios is every time you change your oil when you have a drain plug you have many potential failure modes. I listed about 10 failure modes the valve eliminates and multiply that over every oil change and the number grows. The more often you do something and the more things that can go wrong each time increases the risk of a failure. A Fumoto valve reduces the number of failure opportunities dramatically.

Did you catch how I made a mistake with the Fumoto and it still didn’t fail on me? No lost oil. Not stranded. No repair cost. I simply had a nice reminder to take more care and the system had my back and protected me.

Apparently my post isn’t for you but rather others who already have the valve or those considering one. Nobody is trying to convert you. Why do feel the need to convert us?

Tecnically we don’t tighten the valve after the install. We close it.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
    Lt. Dangle and Thatbassguy like this.
  11. Oct 12, 2021 at 6:42 PM
    Stocklocker

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17TRDORDCSBAT
    I would reread my post, more slowly.

12. Oct 12, 2021 at 6:46 PM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy Sweet or sour?

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    '19 T4R, TRDORP, KDSS
    RSG sliders, SOS skids, SOS bumper, wheels, tires, etc
    Agreed! I have one, and love it.

I'm not worried about it breaking off on a trail, either, because I have real skids.

usmc2msu likes this.
  13. Oct 12, 2021 at 6:50 PM
    Vlady

Vlady Well-Known Member

Member:
    Issy, WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 White SR5 DCSB V6 4x4
    This is not oem washer. It is dark grey and flat as the Earth....

14. Oct 12, 2021 at 6:50 PM
    mquibble

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle:
    2021 TacomaTRD Pro
    Ok. I’ve read it now three times. I agree the plug and valve are both prone to a failure. What I don’t agree with is that they both have the same number of potential failure modes. All things being equal if “ A” can fail 100 different ways and “B” can only fail 10 ways it’s reasonable to believe “A” will likely fail at a rate of 10:1 compared to “B”. Thoughts?

15. Oct 12, 2021 at 6:52 PM
    mquibble

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle:
    2021 TacomaTRD Pro
    Correct. I guess you missed where I said here’s an example of a similar washer. Actually, I don’t recall what the OEM washer is for the engine oil plug. I do recall all of the washers I replaced on the differentials, transfer and tranny. I stand corrected. Thank you.

16. Oct 12, 2021 at 6:53 PM
    DonKeyote

DonKeyote Well-Known Member

Member:
    Okay. I’ll bite. Let’s see this lawn. I went with tiffway419. Curious to see what you got going over there.

also, which reel mower did you settle on?

Steves104x4, jackn7 and Thatbassguy like this.
  17. Oct 12, 2021 at 7:00 PM
    mquibble

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle:
    2021 TacomaTRD Pro
    Lol, I’d go grab a pic if it wasn’t dark now. I actually don’t have a reel mower-yet. I live in New England so it is just a tad more difficult here. I’m going to install in ground irrigation in a portion of my lawn next spring to test it all out. Once I do this I’m going to toy with a Rye / Bluegrass mixture and get the cut height down to 3/4” initially using a reel mower. Something like an Allett.

I will have to work the top dressing of a sand / compost mixture to level the lawn off real good. There’s a fairly rigorous process to do this correctly.

18. Oct 12, 2021 at 7:00 PM
    Stocklocker

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17TRDORDCSBAT
    I’m not sure I want to spend my evening thinking about this debate, however, I appreciate that you did reread my post.

I’m not arguing that this valve cannot be prudently used to provide a nice oil change experience for its devotees. However, drain plugs are very simple, durable, and basic in concept. The Fumoto valve is also basic to operate, but introduces some of its own unique risks as well. The drain plug is largely indestructible once installed and properly torqued. I’ve never heard someone say “I broke my drain plug on the trail”. The valve, like it or lump it, can be become damaged if a rock or log or some other thing compromises/dents whatever plate you are using to guard it, or gets up over the skid plate. For me, that risk, however slim, isn’t worth the bother. For others it totally is. An argument can be made for both systems, but the “which system is most likely to survive a nuclear blast?” award would probably go to the lowly drain plug.

Thatbassguy likes this.
  19. Oct 12, 2021 at 7:06 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    With these "fumoto" plugs couldn't some ass wipe just crawl under the truck open it up by hand or do you have to use some sort of key/tool?

Anton338 likes this.
  20. Oct 12, 2021 at 7:06 PM
    mquibble

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle:
    2021 TacomaTRD Pro
    I understand you completely and have said earlier in this post I’m not averse to the ol drain plug method. I make my living at evaluating and mitigating risk for flight and ground operations so I am keenly aware of investigating situations. For ME, and all that I do to maintain my oil system, the Fumoto is the way to go. I believe the most important thing is to just CHANGE your oil and if one way or the other provides you with more encouragement to do it- that’s all that matters.

To Top