1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Functional job-related suspension upgrade input

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by kitsym, Aug 30, 2015.

1. Aug 30, 2015 at 3:18 PM
    kitsym

kitsym [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2015 4x4 MGM DCSB TRD Sport
    Hi everyone,

I have read over multiple threads on lifts here on TW and have found a TON of valuable information and extremely knowledgeable folks.

I am looking for input from folks that may use their Tacomas in a similar way I plan to use mine.

I have been researching a 3" lift (specifically the OME 885x full kit with Dakar leafs). However, I am open to suggestions for the application I am interested in using my truck for...

I am in a position where I can be called out to some rugged areas in the middle of the night (similar to Search and Rescue with immediate deployment). It's not nearly as specific as rock crawling or hardcore off-roading (we have ATVs/6x6s for that reason) and I will not be going into those conditions daily. However, I will travel on fire roads and onto non-maintained roads when I do get called out.

I would like to get my setup correct the first time and am okay with spending more if advised. My truck is NOT a "work only" vehicle as it is my daily driver as well.

So, the question for you guys/gals that have faced a similar situation...

Would the OME 885x full kit with Dakars and new UCAs be adequate for mostly on road and camping trips with the several-times-a-month rugged call out, or, would a more significant suspension setup be more appropriate (Icon/Fox/etc)?

I know this is a pretty broad topic, but I'm hoping someone may have some experience with this scenario.

I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Thank you in advance for your input!

2. Aug 30, 2015 at 3:34 PM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
    Justifying a lift for work, are we? It's okay.. we know..

OME is fine, unless you're hankering for something expensive. Dakars supposedly ride like shit on an unloaded truck and washboard roads, so consider that. At least the full pack does - removing a leaf would help soften the ride but wouldn't be a 3" lift anymore.

3. Aug 30, 2015 at 3:34 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Budget

4. Aug 30, 2015 at 3:38 PM
    gray223

gray223 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SE Missouri
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra Limited
    Will the ome kit work? Sure it will. It will probably do what you need. But coilovers will be far superior for comfort and plus they are rebuildable.

5. Aug 30, 2015 at 3:52 PM
    idahbro

idahbro Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OR AC
    Leer XL Cap, Thule Rack, Weathertech Mats, Sleeping Deck/Bed Storage, Pop and Lock Tailgate Lock
    The title of this thread led me to believe it was going to be about strength training.

6. Aug 30, 2015 at 4:06 PM
    kitsym

Member:
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    Hah! I know that probably sounds like an excuse but it will actually be a partial tax write-off due to my job. I worded it that way in my post because there will be times when I won't be able to go into work to grab a work vehicle before heading to a scene. Often times my truck will be better equipped than available work cars.

Thank you for the input on the Dakars.

I will be spending a lot of time traveling on highways to get out to remote locations in Northwestern Oregon. I will also be spending a fair amount of time traveling with my family so I don't want to sacrifice a TON of ride quality. Balancing that isn't always possible which is why we have a more comfortable but less "capable" sedan to use if necessary.

$1,500 - $3.000 ish. Pretty flexible. I'm surrounded by many mechanically inclined coworkers that, between us, will get it installed. I have some fabricators available to me as well.

On that note, I'm realistic. If the general recommendation is that the stock (I know... /shudder) TRD Sport suspension would be "adequate," that's fine too.

Edited title for... clarification? ;)

7. Aug 30, 2015 at 4:31 PM
    Imageoguy

Imageoguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Gatineau, Qc, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB SR5
    Full OME suspension (885 front springs, Dakar leaf pack + OME shocks) + D29XL extra leaf + 3 deg. shim + RideRite airbags
    I'm on on my first Taco and first lift kit so I don't know how other lifts compare. That being said, I'm very pleased with my full OME setup. It's my daily driver and I also use it for work (I'm a mineral exploration geologist). I`m often asked by my colleagues with F-150`s to push further on rough trails because their trucks are too wide, too long and don't have sufficient ground clearance to keep on going. I use it mostly on logging roads and sometimes ATV trails. I personally don't mind the rough ride when unloaded since my main concern is not bottoming-out when loaded. I can sometimes drive over 100 miles a day on dirt roads so I tend to drive a bit fast to make up some time. The OME setup has definitely been a lot better than the stock suspension in the rough stuff.

kitsym[OP] likes this.
  8. Aug 30, 2015 at 4:56 PM
    velillen

velillen Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab 4x4
    Ome is going to be a nice upgrade. Nothing wrong with it but with a 1.5k to 3k budget I would step up to icon Fox or king setup personally. They are just going to be a smoother and better ride....but they do cost more! You can pretty much pick any of the three and you'll be happy. I have icons and love them both on road and off.

I have the Dakar pack and disagree about it "riding like shit". It was a great ride improvement (I do have a canopy) right out of the box. It also holds weight pretty well if you load it down. Whether you go Dakar or something g else, I would get a full leaf pack and not just a add a leaf. The aal is a bandaide fix imo whereas the full pack is the full fix.

I do have a pair of icon extended travel coilovers in my garage I could make a deal on if you do go that route. Bit of rust but doesn't effect function at all.

Gingerbeard Man and kitsym[OP] like this.
  9. Aug 30, 2015 at 5:23 PM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
    I didn't say it rides like shit. I said guys who run Dakars (recently) said it rides like shit on washboard roads.

I have a shell also, so our experience is entirely different. Mine ride beautifully.

Others report different results without constant loads.

kitsym[OP] likes this.
  10. Aug 30, 2015 at 5:25 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Dakars , not butter

They haul awesome though

kitsym[OP] and T4RFTMFW like this.
  11. Aug 30, 2015 at 7:42 PM
    kitsym

Member:
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    Thank you for your replies. I haven't heard many negative things about the OME setup. I do not believe I will add a winch at any point in the near future.

I checked into the Fox 2.0 resi coil setups and yes, they are quite a bit more expensive than the OMEs.

Besides the progressive/digressive differences, do the Icons/Kings/Fox provide similar lifts in the front? All appear to be well built and positively reviewed.

How about UCAs? Are the Total Chaos UCAs compatible with the OME front end?

12. Aug 30, 2015 at 7:56 PM
    gray223

Member:
    SE Missouri
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra Limited
    You really dont need resi for what your doing. And also look at ads, they have been getting alot of attention lately on here. It seems that there build quality is superior. Any uca will work that is designed for your truck.

kitsym[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  13. Sep 1, 2015 at 6:11 AM
    kitsym

Member:
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    For my application would the Icon Stage 2 complete kit be overall? My gut says yes, but how much on-road ride improvement with the Icon get me with their tuning versus the OME?

14. Sep 2, 2015 at 6:52 PM
    kitsym

Member:
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    Ok, so I've done some additional digging and have looked into a more comfortable on road experience yet completely capable of going on trails.

Here is what I've come up with:
    • Icon 2.5 extended travel coilovers (no resi)
    • Icon 2.0 extended length rear shock (no resi)
    • OME Dakar leaf pack
    • (All other parts associated... drop bracket, ext. brake lines, ubolts, etc).
    I'm still up in the air for UCAs. I'm leaning towards Total Chaos but am open to suggestions you all might have.

Thanks for all of the input so far!

15. Sep 3, 2015 at 7:43 AM
    gray223

Member:
    SE Missouri
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra Limited
    Drop bracket??? For what? And if you get the extended travel version i think you have to get uca's.

16. Sep 3, 2015 at 7:54 AM
    kitsym

Member:
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    Sorry. Long night when I wrote that. I'm not doing a 6" lift ;). No drop bracket needed.

I meant a diff drop.

I know I'll need UCAs with the extended travel. I was asking if you all had suggestions for compatible UCAs with the Icon ext travel coilovers. Sorry for the confusion...

17. Sep 3, 2015 at 7:56 AM
    gray223

Member:
    SE Missouri
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra Limited
    Not sure if a diff drop will be needed either. It seems here on TW that it really doesn't do anything. Just keep the lift under 3". And im pretty sure any aftermarket uca will work.

18. Sep 10, 2015 at 3:33 AM
    kitsym

Member:
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    So, with the King Shock Group Buy going on... I changed my game plan just a bit. I have the opportunity to do it "right" the first time.

Front: King Coilover + resi (P/N: 25001-119)
    Rear: King Shock + resi (P/N: 25001-121)
    UCAs: Total Chaos (P/N: 96504)

Rear leaf pack: OME Dakar or All Pro Expo

Thoughts on the updated list?

Any input on the rear leafs?

19. Sep 11, 2015 at 8:52 PM
    gray223

Member:
    SE Missouri
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra Limited
    Think the resi's will be a little overkill. And the all pro expo back gives 3" of lift when its loaded down. Its meant to be used on a truck constantly hauling weight in the bed.

20. Sep 11, 2015 at 9:32 PM
    hoarder23

hoarder23 Truck fell over

Member:
    First Name:
    Shay
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    15 Pyrite Mica DCSB Sport
    Scratches
    The updated list will probably be an overkill but will do everything you want. For the rear leafs the Dakar or All-Pro Expos are both designed for dealing with weight in the bed all the time, the All-Pro Standard or Wheeler's 8-leaf might be a better rear leaf pack if you drive with an empty bed. I have the Dakar leafs on my truck with an unloaded bed and the rear axle definitely is a lot stiffer than it needs to be.

Products Discussed in

To Top