1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Furlough, more like Fur-blow

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Fiend13, Mar 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mar 1, 2013 at 10:05 AM
    Fiend13

Fiend13 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Waddell/Phoenix area
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD O/R DC Prerunner
    Anyone else affected by this? What are your thoughts and how do you plan on dealing with it. Try to look for a part time job?

2. Mar 1, 2013 at 10:10 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    I am a contract worker so I am not directly affected by it, yet.

Our contract was set to expire March 31st. At that time it was either suppose to renew, or another contractor would pick it up. With the sequester we got was is called a "bridge agreement" and we will continue to work untill the goberment decides what it wants to do.

I hate not knowing and being able to plan for the future. With all that being said I will be using my GI bill to start college this fall.

3. Mar 1, 2013 at 10:22 AM
    Fiend13

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Waddell/Phoenix area
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD O/R DC Prerunner
    I'm taking an overall 20% pay cut. One unpaid day off a week for the next 5 1/2 months. I'm in school now so the money I get from the VA makes up for the loss in pay, but it just doesn't seem right to me that this affects all of us while congress still gets their annual raises meanwhile the president is doing this roadshow thing and taking vacations. I mean shit, when we were wondering if the furlough was actually going to be a go the president was out golfing with Tiger Woods! I know I'm ranting but there are better ways to save money instead of impacting the people that help protect this country. I say if congress is so concerned with how they're going to save money then they should take a look around at one another.

4. Mar 1, 2013 at 11:19 AM
    undecided

undecided Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport 4X4
    CAI, CB radio, Double Din Stereo, Aero Exhaust, Softopper, BHLM, KODE Push Button Start, Bruteforce Fab Rear bumper, Weathertechs
    x2

I am a contractor as well and my company president said "you will know when we will know" It turned out that he didnt know much... I already work 2 jobs. If I get furloughed I just gotta tighten the purse strings a bit more i guess. Money def does not go as far as it used to.

I know that anything that is "mission essentail" will continue and most of the upper management will have a regular work schedle. Whom decides who is "mission essentail"? My command already works with a skeleton crew already.

Sorry, just blowing off steam. I cant find a better place to rant than the interwebz :eek:

5. Mar 1, 2013 at 11:21 AM
    TacoCat

TacoCat These pretzels are making me thirsty

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny-5
    Chantilly, VA
    Vehicle:
    22 JLUR 6MT
    I will be getting an extra 14 days off between now and 30 Sept, unpaid of course. I'm guessing every other friday. 8 hours per pay period.

6. Mar 1, 2013 at 11:24 AM
    wareagle1

wareagle1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Fayetteville, TN
    Vehicle:
    07 Tundra DC 5.7
    notta
    We're still okay for the time being, but if any of our customers have to cut back, I don't see how it won't affect us somehow. Overtime is probably on it's way out.

7. Mar 1, 2013 at 11:52 AM
    MudFlap

MudFlap Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Memphis (north mississippi)
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road
    My wife to be works in the SSA office and they are talking about forcing them to take extra days off per week. The way she talks is that this will rotate through the office and affect everyone equally. Lucky for us, we planned for something like this to happen and have a few bucks in reserves, so while this isnt anything nice to have to deal with, we still wont have to get on assistance and rely on the government to survive. Thank GOD

8. Mar 1, 2013 at 11:59 AM
    hetkind

hetkind Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Access Cab, white with Leer Cap
    bilstein set at 1.75, Racho 5000 rear with 4 leaf kit, floor mats, high lift jack, pull hook in hitch, bed rail corner braces, severe duty brake pads and devil horns on the grill....
    that would be 16 hours a pay period...looks like I will be trying to do some consulting work with my free time, but since everything will slow down, it won't be easy...I think this is truly terrible, balancing the budget on my nickle.

9. Mar 1, 2013 at 12:03 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish
    4yrs of it.....................started at 3 furloughs a month......then 2 furloughs a month.

the best part............I work in an understaffed place thats a 24hr facility.

We work FREE on those furlough days, because the "furlough" hours get "banked" on our books....BUT due to staffing issues, we are NOT able to use them.

derp

10. Mar 1, 2013 at 12:03 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    stockish
    I truly feel ur pain...............specially if u work on furlough days like I do for free

use the fuck out of your insurance man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Mar 1, 2013 at 12:06 PM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    Cut pay and benefits to all elected officials untill they are able to make a balanced budget.

12. Mar 1, 2013 at 12:11 PM
    mutilatedjak

mutilatedjak n00b waffle

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    11 DC SB TRD Sport 6spd
    BP-51s, Dakar leafs, ARB bumper, 4xinnovations rear HC, 3x trail camera, pure android, lightforce 170s, Dick Cepek 255 85s extreme terrain.
    You mean as an incentive to get their asses in gear? that would be awesome!
    I wish that cut would also help the deficit...but thats like a drop in the bucket of how ever many trillion in the red...

13. Mar 1, 2013 at 12:15 PM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    i work for california also.

whatever. i use the extra time off for fun stuff. hunting fishing..or track days. the smaller paycheck, i deal with it. i dont buy stupid stuff. i have no debt besides my home.

on the plus side..my vacation balance is staggering. without the random "mental holiday"..i dont need to tap into vaca..and i am stockpiling the days!!this will bite the state in the ass in the long run.

14. Mar 1, 2013 at 12:15 PM
    tostidos

tostidos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Apple Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 6spd
    is the furlough you got directly related to the sequester? Im a contractor as well but we haven't heard anything from our company if it will affect us or not. I'm personally hoping we are too high profile of a program to cut. but anything is possible I guess. I feel for you guys I was laid off from my job 4 years ago and never really quite recovered from it.

15. Mar 1, 2013 at 12:24 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    stockish
    I wish i could roll furloughs into vacation time.....for vaca I have about 500hrs

16. Mar 1, 2013 at 1:35 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    We're looking at 1 day a week for 22 weeks. Works out to 20% of my pay. It hasn't hit us yet. They have to give a 30 day notice. Things will be tight but we do have some cash set aside for emergencies. Just bought a new house back in July. We'll scale back our spending. Probably have to let the gardener go until it resolves. He's been working at our property for the past 30 years (previous owners recommended him).

It sucks that both sides are willing to let it happen on my dime.

17. Mar 1, 2013 at 1:44 PM
    Fiend13

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Waddell/Phoenix area
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD O/R DC Prerunner
    I'm in the same boat man. Was going to try and buy a house this summer but we'll see. All I know though is at my 32 hour mark I'm yelling out "FURLOUGH!" then dropping my tools and going home, lol.

18. Mar 1, 2013 at 1:47 PM
    Evil Monkey

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
  19. Mar 1, 2013 at 1:50 PM
    650H1

650H1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2020 (Cement) TRD O/R
    its hard to rant on this without bringing politics into play. im across the country, but knowing this is happening to you guys fucking pisses me off. they cut your pay like you were making too much in the first place, its bull shit.

20. Mar 1, 2013 at 1:51 PM
    Evil Monkey

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    I know that's right!!!:laugh:

It's probably going to result in more work for me though. Increased Honey-Do list.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top