1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Furnace disassembly

Discussion in 'Garage / Workshop' started by rb11701, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Jan 5, 2010 at 6:34 AM
    rb11701

rb11701 [OP] Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    '09 Silver Streak TRD Off-Road
    Rear Suspension TSB, DTRL Mod, aFe Pro-Dry S,USA Spec PA15-TOY iPod Adapter, Dynolock Tailgate Lock, UltraGauge OBDII Scanner, CoverKing Neoprene Seat Covers
    Anybody ever take apart a furnace before? I have an old American Standard oil furnace that is sitting in my backroom for the past year. I changed over to gas and need to get this thing out of here. It is one heavy POS so carrying it is not really an option w/o a few people I would think.

Is it even worth it to pull apart and save some cash? Or should I just pay the cash?

Also, anybody ever remove an oil tank? If so, what did you have to do? (in terms of permits, pre-cautions etc etc)

Thanks!

2. Jan 5, 2010 at 6:55 AM
    hendooman

hendooman The Stroker Ace

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    KC
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma OR (SOLD); 2015 TRD PRO 4Runner
    Toytec TRD PRO LIFT with 1.5 SAW in rear, 255 Coopers, Baja Rack, Southern Style Front Bumper, Warn Wireless Winch, DeMello Sliders.
    craigslist is your friend...there are always people who will take that stuff off your hands and probably for free. There is metal in it and probably some useful parts to somebody especially if they were commen in your area at one time.

3. Jan 5, 2010 at 6:59 AM
    milanodsp

milanodsp Member

Member:
    you can remove the outer metal jacket, unbolt the boiler sections and split them apart with a wedge and sledge. It is definitely dirty and the sections are still pretty heavy but if you have a hand truck its not that bad. Depending on your location oil tank removal can be a pain. If your tank is still in good shape, no leaks etc., call a removal company, they will pump out the residual fuel and remove the tank. Is the tank inside, above or in the ground? If in the ground permits need to be obtained and soil samples will have to be taken. My parents had there underground tank pulled and it was about 2600 bucks, it had leaks. Your old oil supplier can give you a number for removal services.

4. Jan 5, 2010 at 7:00 AM
    WNYTACOMA

WNYTACOMA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Clarence, New York
    Vehicle:
    09 Metalic Grey TRD OFF ROAD
    Toyota Nerf steps Bugflector 2 Tool box Weathertech floor liners Wet Okole F/R - Bk/Char
    Call some local schools (home inspection, heating, etc) and maybe they will bite on coming out and taking it away for free.

They like to have different heating units that they can cut apart for better instruction for their students.

Worth a few calls.

5. Jan 5, 2010 at 7:02 AM
    WNYTACOMA

WNYTACOMA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Clarence, New York
    Vehicle:
    09 Metalic Grey TRD OFF ROAD
    Toyota Nerf steps Bugflector 2 Tool box Weathertech floor liners Wet Okole F/R - Bk/Char
    ...as far as the tank, is it in a basement, crawlspace, poured / finished floor, outside?

Is it empty?

Around here, an empty tank in a basement with a poured floor typically runs about $500.00 to have removed, more if in a crawlspace and more if not empty.

Obviously more complicated if it is buried outside and especially if leaking has occurred. That can get expensive, depending on how much leaking has occurred.

6. Jan 5, 2010 at 7:40 AM
    rb11701

rb11701 [OP] Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    '09 Silver Streak TRD Off-Road
    Rear Suspension TSB, DTRL Mod, aFe Pro-Dry S,USA Spec PA15-TOY iPod Adapter, Dynolock Tailgate Lock, UltraGauge OBDII Scanner, CoverKing Neoprene Seat Covers
    Thanks for all the responses!

The tank is probally 95% empty. In a poured basement. Half of which is finished. 1950's house here so stairway is kinda narrow and steep. No way the thing would go up whole.

The furnace is real dity. Tons of soot. Not even sure if I want to take it apart given the small space it is in. It would be great to save some cash, but the cleanup after (I got all my stuff stored in the unfinished side) would be worth it. Gotta make some calls.

I like the school idea. I think there are some around here. Def worth a shot.

Thanks!!

Products Discussed in

To Top