1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Future Tacoma Improvements

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by AsianTaco2017, Nov 28, 2016.

1. Nov 30, 2016 at 8:52 AM
    wxm8562

wxm8562 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I don't know why you'd wait until 2018 if you'll only consider Toyota. None of the things on your list will be changed in the 3rd gen of this truck. You'll have to wait for the 4th gen for any of these to be a possibility most likely.

I doubt Toyota will make any meaningful changes until the next gen. I think we will see issues addressed such as the rear diff howl, auto trans related issues, etc..., but no major feature overhauls.

I feel like a lot of things people want out of these trucks are things that can and should be done be each owner after the fact. No need to include so many options and additions from the factory. All I would change is adding more adjustable seats/steering wheel. Seating position is not a one size fits all proposition. That said, I do like my vehicles to be as simple as possible. I used to go for all the bells and whistles in previous vehicles, but have found that I always end up liking my simple stripped down, manual transmission vehicles the best. They may sometimes lack features and refinement, but that adds to the character and from my experience, also makes them more reliable.

I just purchased a 2017 DBSB Sport V6 4x4 M/T. I like it significantly better than the 2012 RAM 1500 Sport that I traded in which had all of the features and options. That said, I haven't had it long and I have not experienced any of the issues that people have been mentioning. I did drive an automatic and agree that trans sucks. That is why I bought the manual, which completely changes the truck. I felt the auto had a real lack of power, but the manual feels very peppy and gives me complete control over the power.

2016Tacoman and Spare Parts like this.
  2. Nov 30, 2016 at 9:57 AM
    Kyitty

Kyitty Mr. Beard

Member:
    Bozeman, MT
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma DCLB Better Than TRD
    See Build Page
    Reported.... for mocking me... :argue:

Seriously though. Toyota... wtf... :frusty:

3. Nov 30, 2016 at 11:56 AM
    chuckmiller

chuckmiller Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Valrico, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB Limited Barcelona Red
    Maybe it's because I do not and will never use the thing I find the addition of the mount to be ridiculous.

4. Nov 30, 2016 at 12:20 PM
    duckytw

duckytw Well-Known Member

Member:
    Thing is, the Tacoma is probably one of the biggest moneymakers for toyota and considering they "completely redesigned it" as we are told they did, brakes in this day and age of safety everything should be an easy upgrade to the new model. Plus, the 4runner and FJ, both of which have striking similarities if not cross shared parts for majority of the components have disc brakes and they are/were marketed by toyota as some of the most hardcore off-roaders there is.

One of the first interviews with mike, he picked up that question from my post on TN about the drum brakes out rear and the need to stick with the smaller 8" rear diff which I think they opted for a newer 8.75" on the MT. Now, if only 6th overdrive on the MT could be shorter for true long-hauling and leave the other 5 gears for accelerating/towing that be sweet.

Tunngavik, shakerhood and wxm8562 like this.
  5. Nov 30, 2016 at 7:39 PM
    dman100

dman100 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Coast, California
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR DCSB
    By the way, despite what it may seem like from my earlier comments, I will never use the GoPro mount and would prefer rear discs.

6. Nov 30, 2016 at 7:50 PM
    NorCalTommy

NorCalTommy Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tommy
    Sonoma, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Lots of great points in here... But i'll never understand why Toyota, or any other brand has ditched the transmission dipstick??

7. Dec 1, 2016 at 4:14 AM
    drwx

drwx Well-Known Member

Member:
    M'boro, TN
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB TRD Offroad 4x4 BBP
    Technically I guess the temp display was a future improvement from your 2nd gen since it appears that most 3rd gens have it. I'm not sure if the base sr models do...sr5 and up do for sure.

8. Dec 1, 2016 at 4:21 AM
    Jukeboxx13

Jukeboxx13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR DCSB 4x4
    I just want power seats and more horsepower/torque.

Kooltaco likes this.
  9. Dec 1, 2016 at 7:01 AM
    R100R

R100R Well-Known Member

Member:
    WV
    Vehicle:
    04 Tundra Access Cab 4wd 5-speed
    Market manual transmission, access cab, off road, here in the U.S. They're made here, Canada get's them, why can't we?

Offer a rear seat delete option for access cabs, the seats aren't very useful and w/o them there's more room for luggage, dog, tools, etc.

Widen the ratios in the 6-speed manual or at least make 6th a bit taller. It's ok, we can downshift when needed.

And do something about the front end styling, maybe slope the hood downward so the grill isn't so big. Would help aero as well.

shakerhood likes this.
  10. Dec 1, 2016 at 7:10 AM
    JoeCOVA

JoeCOVA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    Ford F350, Lexus RX450h, FZJ80, Jeep YJ
    It's a closed system like most transmissions these days, which translates to less fluid changes, and less transmission issues.

Check your maintenance and warranty guide. Under Normal driving conditions Toyota doesn't call for a transmission fluid change until after 120,000 miles (because the log ends) . Under consistent heavy loads and towing they recommend every 60,000 miles. The manual transmission recommends every 30,000 for heavy loads and towing.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
  11. Dec 1, 2016 at 7:15 AM
    Friggin Fuego

Friggin Fuego Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2004 Toyota Land Cruiser, 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser 6MT 4x4, 1988 Toyota Hilux SSR Diesel 5MT 4x4
    There won't be a 4th Gen judging by the abnormally numerous early 3rd gen issues and the mid-size truck market heating up. Toyota's reliability is in the past. Even the Tacoma's off-road title is in danger with Chevy's introduction of the Colorado ZR2. In my honest opinion this can go two ways: Toyota shortens the 3rd gen life cycle to 6 years to actually compete instead of 10. Or let the Tacoma ride off into the sunset as the 3rd gen and end production at 10 years.

12. Dec 1, 2016 at 8:14 AM
    wxm8562

Member:
    No way they will cease Tacoma production. They sell too many. I would say their market share is sure to decrease due to the segment heating up, but I still think they maintain the lead for many years to come. However, I do see them modifying the generational life-cycle. They will need to perform major updates more frequently this time around to stay competitive.

Toyota will always be able to sell Tacoma's because of the fanatic fan base. No other mid-size truck has that the way Toyota does. I think they can get away with not doing another major overhaul for 10 years, but I don't think they will. Everyone I know that has owned a Tacoma always says it was/is their favorite vehicle they've owned. They either buy another or wish they never got rid of the one they had. Their reliability and resale rating may take a hit with the 3rd gen, but it's still a Tacoma so it will always be above the GM twins in that regard.

I feel like there is always this doomsday attitude towards the Tacoma when a new gen is released. But Toyota just keeps keeping on and we all continue to buy their trucks and love them even though we may complain about them a lot. To me, that just speaks to how fanatic and loyal the Tacoma fan base is. I have owned Chrysler, GM trucks in the past. I liked those trucks for the most part, but I love my Tacoma's. They just have that special something to me.

Spare Parts likes this.
  13. Dec 1, 2016 at 8:42 AM
    AFMurse2014

AFMurse2014 Death Can Wait

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    San Antonio
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM Double Cab TRD OFF ROAD 6 Speed MANUAL
    Freedom, American flags and ISIS blood Morimoto 35w 5500k HID/ LED highs from TRS. RCI expo rack Core Short throw shifter, hypertech speedo recalibrator. Rear seat molle panel. OVT. PnP 2LM. C4 Hybrid Bumper w/ amber BD squadron pods. 33 pizza cutters. T9 radio
    How about an off road package that is actually a step above the normal production truck? The fact that the trd off road and pro share the same running gear, control arms, etc as the sport and sr5/sr is a joke.

The differences need to be in performance, not some decal/grille/scoop graphics/interior seat option.

Better seat position is a must, going from full size to this is crappy. The paint is stupid thin, Chios and scratches stupid easy. I drug my pocket knife belt clip down the side of my dodge rental truck by accident, not a mark. My Toyota scuffed when my jacket rubbed against it.

Too many QC issues, and they are listening or standing behind their product when issues arise. Color options on the pro is a joke... Why only white red and cement? Where's that tan, black, blue? Really? You're going to offer your best package truck in white?

Lame.

Real time engine monitoring on our fancy displays would be nice. The dodge rental has real time digital gauges to tell me voltage, trans, oil and coolant temps, oil pressure, etc.

If the truck isn't spec'd with a tonnuea cover, give me the damn header rail for the track system.

Engine and throttle mapping need improved. The tires for the off road and pro are a joke.

Locker is useless unless in 4low, and both are difficult to engage if you're in a bind and can't rock the truck. Front locker would be welcomed... Atleast on the pro.

Pre wired accessory switches, or atleast a fuse box ties into power for accessories, such as what super duty/raptor does.

All 4x4/locker/terrain/atrac controls should be near eaxh other. It's like a damn aircraft with switches everywhere.

Atleast it has switches and not digital menus however (new raptor is all digital)

Factory skids on the Off Road model are a joke. Oil filter access panel would be great....

It's a cartridge style filter... Give me remote access and put it on top of the engine hiding it underneath a skid is stupid.

Gear ratios on the manual need tweaked. 1 isn't low enough, 5 and 6 aren't different enough... I skip 5 almost Everytime.

Engine braking is almost nonexistent.

Fat lip and front end visability is a joke.

No under hood or accessory lighting... Off road truck, we need lights.

You give use led DRL and bed lights, and skimp everything else... Interior and cabin lights should match!

Navigation should be able to be tied into more intensive systems, such as PDF maps off your phone, etc... It's an off road truck with limited nav ability.

With all the fancy shit on the display, give me the check engine codes on the display, or under the head units service section.

Give use extended breathers... Hell my 1996 Bronco... AND my 06 ranger both come with extended breathers clipped to the top of the frame rails from factory.

Just a short list as I'm going to bed... Lol

14. Dec 1, 2016 at 9:50 AM
    wxm8562

Member:

Sounds like the Tacoma isn't the best option for you. Why not just buy a Raptor if you want more true off-road features from the factory? Or do what most do and build out the off-road stuff exactly how you want it. It'd be ridiculous for Toyota to add all or even most of the features you describe here. The cost would shoot through the roof and they would not sell enough. You're in the minority wanting all that in a factory truck. And most that do wouldn't even be looking at the pro anyway. They'd buy and OR, Sport, or SR5 for way less money and build it themselves.

15. Dec 1, 2016 at 1:37 PM
    AFMurse2014

AFMurse2014 Death Can Wait

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    San Antonio
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM Double Cab TRD OFF ROAD 6 Speed MANUAL
    Freedom, American flags and ISIS blood Morimoto 35w 5500k HID/ LED highs from TRS. RCI expo rack Core Short throw shifter, hypertech speedo recalibrator. Rear seat molle panel. OVT. PnP 2LM. C4 Hybrid Bumper w/ amber BD squadron pods. 33 pizza cutters. T9 radio
    Raptor isn't a trail truck, and no manual trans.

Chevy, Ford, and Dodge did some of what I described and the pricing is reasonable. I'm in the military, one does not simply buy a 42k truck and then pour 15k worth of mods into it on my salary. I'm just expecting more for what we paid...

This page was asking things we would like to see changed, I spoke up. Is there any harm in doing so? I think not.

Also, I'm slightly bitter at my truck with 10k miles has spent a combined 9 weeks in the shop... And it's currently sitting their..
    Day 14 this time around

Garwood likes this.
  16. Dec 1, 2016 at 2:57 PM
    bssquared82

bssquared82 b-squared82

Member:
    I wish Toyota would embrace Apple Car Play and Android Auto. That would make the entertainment console SOOOOO much better!

17. Dec 1, 2016 at 4:05 PM
    drwx

drwx Well-Known Member

Member:
    M'boro, TN
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB TRD Offroad 4x4 BBP
    I'd just be happy if that stupid "Siri eyes free" button would initiate an "OK Google" command on Android.

18. Dec 1, 2016 at 5:03 PM
    Spare Parts

Spare Parts Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2022 Off Road Premium 4Runner Lunar Rock
    9 weeks, this time day 14, any thoughts about lemon law? I would be more than slightly bitter if this was the case, but then again driving rentals has its place.

shakerhood likes this.
  19. Dec 1, 2016 at 7:51 PM
    NorCalTommy

NorCalTommy Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tommy
    Sonoma, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Yeah, I understand the concept behind the closed system... I'm a mechanic by trade. But the transmission dipstick is suck a simple thing, why not just have it? On the Ford F-150's with a V6 they still have a dipstick technically... Just need to pull it from under the truck, haha.

JoeCOVA[QUOTED] and shakerhood like this.
  20. Dec 2, 2016 at 5:55 AM
    wxm8562

Member:
    Wow, why has it been in the shop so much?

Products Discussed in

To Top