1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Future Texan?

Discussion in 'Texas' started by 12TRDTacoma, Jun 20, 2020.

1. Jun 20, 2020 at 2:57 PM
    12TRDTacoma

12TRDTacoma [OP] Powered by Ford, GM, VW, and Mercedes

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Concordia
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4 Supercharged
    Boosted
    Hey guys, life long California resident here really wanting to make a permanent move out to Texas. This state no longer is a desirable spot to live in, with no chance of living a good life due to a myriad of reasons which I'm sure some of you may know of. First thing is first before that can happen. A job. Really hoping I can get some Texan love from you folks here getting pointed in the right direction so I can make that happen.

I have 7 years Army experience under my belt both as an MP and a Motor Transport Operator and hold a "Veteran" status under my file.

On the civilian side I have over 15 years experience in general automotive work having the position of general mechanic, state smog technician, and my most current diagnostic technician and am well versed in the software side of the game including updating and reflashing vehicles when and if needed.

I have a solid knowledge of hybrid and full electrical vehicles and have taken many hours worth of courses and classes, so vehicles like Tesla are something I have a general technical knowledge about, though have never touched one in person yet.

Obviously I have resumes tailored to reflect all of this and would have no problem shooting them over your way if need be.

I have an avid love for shooting, wheeling, water sports (including surfing) fishing, and love the general outdoors.

My immediate plan is to apply for an active duty position at a Texas Army base and will be wanting to call home a house that is within near general proximity of that base, but Military folk know how long getting even looked at by the government for potential employment opportunity may take.

So far I have checked the Army PFI site and have taken a glance over on USAjobs to test the waters on job availability.

A little help finding the right thing for me please guys?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
  2. Jun 20, 2020 at 3:36 PM
    Daves300

Daves300 TTC#0333

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2007 FJ
    CBP Aircraft Servicer- McAllen, TX

Responsible for performing aircraft servicing, ground handling. Fuels aircraft and ground support equipment.

+/-$25 per hour

https://www.google.com/search?q=pae+jobs&oq=pae+jobs&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l4.7077j0j4&client=ms-android-verizon&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#fpstate=tldetail&htidocid=z9MZmxxbUpz6P71lAAAAAA==&htiq=pae jobs&htivrt=jobs

Look at the gov contractors sites, it's easier to get civil service if they already know you and have background clearance.

The Dept of Public Safety was hiring CMV inspectors (I'm not sure if they filled all the positions yet).

Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
  3. Jun 20, 2020 at 6:11 PM
    12TRDTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Concordia
    Vehicle:
    Boosted
    Oh yeah, that's another thing. I have secret clearance.

Any recommendations on what gov contractor sites I can look into or where to even find them at that?

Aircraft servicer looks pretty legitimate. I'll have to take a once over look at my latest resume and make sure it lines up well with presenting me for my skills for that one. :thumbsup:

Biscuits and LostHusker like this.
  4. Jun 20, 2020 at 6:21 PM
    Daves300

Daves300 TTC#0333

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2007 FJ
  5. Jun 20, 2020 at 6:24 PM
    boston23

boston23 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    NM
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR5 DCSB 4x4
    I will say, keep checking USAjobs because they all of a sudden will post 100 jobs. The hiring is seasonal.

6. Jun 20, 2020 at 6:33 PM
    maxtherat

maxtherat Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Athol, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2001 Dodge Ram 2500
    All the usual diesel truck mods- fuel system upgrade, programmer, CAI, intake manifold, j hooked waste gate
    Born and raised Californian myself. NEVER pictured myself moving away from the ocean but, like you, the politics of this state have become unbearable and intolerable. I often think of myself sitting on the top rail of a wooden fence, gazing over a vast nothingness and watching the sun go down. I’m at a stage in my life where I just want that kind of peace. I’ve only been to Texas 2x in the last 2 years to visit with friends in Galveston. 2 years ago (1st) trio there we took a trip to dripping springs and then Austin. If I was ever able to talk my wife into moving there it would NOT be to Austin. Waaaaay too much like California and like any disease it’ll just continue to spread. Other than that I don’t know much about the state but it’ll be on my radar for sure. Best of luck to you if and when you make it there.

Ch78, Daves300, Biscuits and 2 others like this.
  7. Jun 20, 2020 at 6:36 PM
    GZeus24

GZeus24 bystander

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCLB Sport
    lightly modified
    Be sure to hit up Indeed.com as well. It can be a bit of a slog to get through but the filters help. There are usually some good opportunities for people with clearance as that tends to weed out the competition a bit. Good luck.

Texas has a lot of pluses that I'm sure you know but there are some negative things to be aware of. There is little to no public land as you know it in California which affects recreation opportunities. The heat is oppressive and limits the amount of fun you can have in the summer (ie. forget tent camping for 5 months a year). Be prepared to give up on surfing as there is very little and the quality is not good. It can be a long drive from where you live to where you want to spend your outdoor time.

Texas is awesome in many ways but it can take a while for new folks to find their rhythm.

Biscuits, wilcam47, maxtherat and 2 others like this.
  8. Jun 20, 2020 at 6:44 PM
    hoarder23

hoarder23 Truck fell over

Member:
    First Name:
    Shay
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    15 Pyrite Mica DCSB Sport
    Scratches
    @Naveronski works for Bell Helicopter in DFW, Lockheed is in Fort Worth. Both are always hiring for a variety of positions. There is a Joint Reserve Base there with an Army overhaul facility for at least 47s maybe other airframes.

I loved my time in Fort Worth. Houses are cheap, the beer is good, the girls are pretty, and whatever sports you like are available in both college and professional varieties. The Army bases suck (except for the fact Ft Hood looks like a dinosaur). Working along the border is a lonely job, Texas is big, the border is a hike from any decent big city.

9. Jun 20, 2020 at 6:44 PM
    LostHusker

LostHusker Just one day at a time

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    South, TX
    Vehicle:
    2021 F150, 2015 T4R
    Several post/bases here in the San Antonio area, prices are rising but still may be considered cheap to the standards you all live. Not uncommon to find a house with an acre or more of your willing to commute to work.

There is little to no public land but the sunsets are amazing and the southern breeze is something to thankful for.

Landed here in 94 and still here, we share to same mos from the military so you will do fine if you look this way as I have never had an issue getting a job in this city. I no longer live within the city limits but still work in it.

Glw your search and look forward to seeing where you land.

10. Jun 20, 2020 at 6:50 PM
    12TRDTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Concordia
    Vehicle:
    Boosted
    Thanks brother!

What MOS are you the 88 or 31?

I would imagine getting work prominent to 31B would be easier to get over 88, but 88 work is just incredibly long and draining hours because all you do is put miles down on the road and at the end of the day you are driving all over the place to deliver things. I'd be more inclined to seek work which is more applicable to my 31 slot.

LostHusker[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Jun 20, 2020 at 6:54 PM
    12TRDTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Concordia
    Vehicle:
    Boosted
    Wow! You guys sure know how to invite a future citizen out your way, I definitely am armed with a few search opportunities now. Thank you so much guys!

Please feel free to keep the love coming I am looking forward to living out there in maybe less than a year enjoying some beautiful sunsets finally feeling (more) freedom!

wilcam47 and LostHusker like this.
  12. Jun 20, 2020 at 6:54 PM
    LostHusker

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    South, TX
    Vehicle:
    2021 F150, 2015 T4R
    Well umm those mean nothing to me, I was a 95b, prior to the re-org obviously....:anonymous:

I got out in 98

So Mp K9 instructor, E5
    Which then translated to 95B2HZ6

Be good....:D:boink:

13. Jun 20, 2020 at 6:55 PM
    12TRDTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Concordia
    Vehicle:
    Boosted
    Ahh, okay, so you would be 31E in today's MOS reorg. Perfect!

If you know of any recommendable positions regarding MP style work, please shoot them over my way! The more opportunity I have at my disposal the better! :)

14. Jun 20, 2020 at 6:57 PM
    gotoman1969

gotoman1969 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Antonio, TX United States
    Vehicle:
    2015 Silver Tacoma PreRunner
    3" ToyTec coilovers, JBA UCA's, Bilstein 5100's
    Apply with the Game Wardens.

GZeus24 likes this.
  15. Jun 20, 2020 at 6:57 PM
    LostHusker

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    South, TX
    Vehicle:
    2021 F150, 2015 T4R
    Sapd is always hiring even despite what’s been going on in the world, know a couple guys that I could link you to that could provide way more knowledge than I can if your interested.

16. Jun 20, 2020 at 6:59 PM
    12TRDTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Concordia
    Vehicle:
    Boosted
    Oh BTW guys, my go to at the moment cities I have been home searching is: Houston, Sugar Land, and Corpus Christi, any insight on the regarding cities regarding the style politics (I really like to keep to my own regarding views and opinions as I just want personal peace at this stage in my life) so if one cities swings to far one way, please let me know so it can persuade/ disuade my search criteria.

Daves300, wilcam47 and LostHusker like this.
  17. Jun 20, 2020 at 7:00 PM
    maxtherat

maxtherat Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Athol, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2001 Dodge Ram 2500
    All the usual diesel truck mods- fuel system upgrade, programmer, CAI, intake manifold, j hooked waste gate
    Too bad there’s no “I don’t like” button to click on. I can tell you that surfing sucks, you’d likely get eaten by a shark, guns are dangerous you’d likely shoot yourself in the face and fly fishing is one of the worst hobbies I’ve even gotten involved with- trust me don’t try that one either as there are no fly rods for sale. I hear Nancy Pelozi is planning to move to Texas anyway. No thanks!

18. Jun 20, 2020 at 7:03 PM
    LostHusker

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    South, TX
    Vehicle:
    2021 F150, 2015 T4R
    :rofl:

Ya I knew a guy from okie back in the day while I was in the military, and everyday he would say....

You know by tx doesn’t fall into the Gulf of Mexico...

Cuz Oklahoma sux....:rimshot:

19. Jun 20, 2020 at 7:04 PM
    12TRDTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Concordia
    Vehicle:
    Boosted
    Mmmmm..... I would actually be on board with that, but a second sort of "basic training" police style is a bit much for my blood at 30 at this point in my life. I think I'd be more interested in something along the lines of fishing game and wildlife, maybe like park ranger or something the likes? Know anything of?

20. Jun 20, 2020 at 7:05 PM
    FishnTx

FishnTx ⚓️rather be feeschin⚓️

Member:
    South East Texas
    Vehicle:
    ‘17 OR
    :ohsnap:

maxtherat and LostHusker like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top