1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

FX-R retro "things needed"

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by 907taco, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Nov 26, 2011 at 1:30 PM
    907taco

907taco [OP] Alaskan Assassin

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2010 BlackSandPearl 4x4
    ultimate lift kit ( toytec ) ome dakar leaf pack , w/ extended length billies, LR uca's, Pro comp 7089s, KM2's 285 70 17, neoprene seat covers, weather techs, CBI sliders w/kickout, URD ss, cab mount chop, VHT night shade tint>tails,3rd B-light. Debadged. Grillecraft grille, rear diff breather mod. CBI Moab front bumper, warn M8000 winch, HID kragens 7", Hella's micro fogs. retrofit headlights HIDS, LED solutions maps/license! 886 back up light mod,
    i am getting ready to start my retro, i need some help with the items needed to complete this, i already have the dremel with assorted bits, i know i need expoxy/JB weld, i need help with the bolts i guess, so if anyone can make a list of all the things needed to complete this i would greatly appreciate this.

2. Nov 26, 2011 at 2:07 PM
    08PRELB

08PRELB Don't Tread On Me

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner LB
    Toy Tech Ultimate Lift kit,Buildt Right UCA's 285/70/17 BFG AT, Camburg Spindles, BHLM, K&N, Flow Master 50, Spider Trax, URD MAF CAL, Satoshi Grill, any time fog mod, 20% tint, Katzkins Leather Interior, FX-R Projector Retro
    What kind of projectors are you retrofitting? I assume FX-R since you will be using a dremel.

You will need a small torx bit for the headlights. Also if you are going to take the reflector bowl out you can use an 8mm socket on the adjustment screws to take them out of the headlight housing.

I used 3" screws and nuts to attach the projector to reflector bowl and then cut them down the excess.

3. Nov 26, 2011 at 2:10 PM
    907taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2010 BlackSandPearl 4x4
    ultimate lift kit ( toytec ) ome dakar leaf pack , w/ extended length billies, LR uca's, Pro comp 7089s, KM2's 285 70 17, neoprene seat covers, weather techs, CBI sliders w/kickout, URD ss, cab mount chop, VHT night shade tint>tails,3rd B-light. Debadged. Grillecraft grille, rear diff breather mod. CBI Moab front bumper, warn M8000 winch, HID kragens 7", Hella's micro fogs. retrofit headlights HIDS, LED solutions maps/license! 886 back up light mod,
    3" screws/with nuts was what i was inquiring about, i think everything else is easy to figure out.
    thnks for the reply

4. Nov 26, 2011 at 2:35 PM
    08PRELB

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner LB
    Toy Tech Ultimate Lift kit,Buildt Right UCA's 285/70/17 BFG AT, Camburg Spindles, BHLM, K&N, Flow Master 50, Spider Trax, URD MAF CAL, Satoshi Grill, any time fog mod, 20% tint, Katzkins Leather Interior, FX-R Projector Retro
    No problem man let me know if you need any more help and remember to take your time.

5. Nov 26, 2011 at 11:23 PM
    Casey05Taco

Casey05Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Penngrove, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Prerunner
    trd seat covers, bed mat, tinted windows, debadged, mud flaps removed, tinted tails, blacked out center console, Black Rims, 6000k HID in highs and fogs, blacked out front emblem, Pioneer AVH-4300DVD, Gauge Cluster, lower valence, retrofitted, audio system, Maxtrac Spindles, Billies
    Dont want to thread jack but 08PRELB you goina be by Tulsa or Muskogee next year? Lol you can help me with mine

6. Nov 27, 2011 at 5:59 AM
    08PRELB

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner LB
    I'm not sure but I wouldn't mind helping you just let me know.

7. Nov 27, 2011 at 8:09 AM
    ZMan2k2

ZMan2k2 “Hold my beer and watch this!”

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    ‘Berta
    Vehicle:
    06 Rad Red DCLB SR5
    I have a question about the FX-R retrofit as well. I'm planning on doing one soon, I just need to save some cash for the parts. What I'm wondering is this, I don't want to use my stock headlights, partly because one tab is broken on the pass side, and I'd like to have the stock ones on standby should something happen. So I'll need new housings. My question is this, can I use some ebay housings, since I don't need the reflector to be perfect, or should I buy some stock replacements from Toyota?

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  8. Nov 27, 2011 at 12:32 PM
    Casey05Taco

Casey05Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Penngrove, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Prerunner
    trd seat covers, bed mat, tinted windows, debadged, mud flaps removed, tinted tails, blacked out center console, Black Rims, 6000k HID in highs and fogs, blacked out front emblem, Pioneer AVH-4300DVD, Gauge Cluster, lower valence, retrofitted, audio system, Maxtrac Spindles, Billies
    Yes people have used the eBay ones for there retros. You should be fine with them, just remember to reseal them and you should be fine.

I might have to make a trip over to OKC one weekend when I get back from break.

9. Nov 27, 2011 at 3:41 PM
    ZMan2k2

ZMan2k2 “Hold my beer and watch this!”

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    ‘Berta
    Vehicle:
    06 Rad Red DCLB SR5
    Thanks for the advice. Time to start saving the coin.

10. Nov 27, 2011 at 7:54 PM
    BenJammn5

BenJammn5 RN

Member:
    San Jose
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD-Off Road PreRunner
    TRD cat-back with Spintech prostreet muffler, AFE Pro dry S intake, 16" SCS F-5, 3.5 BS, 305/70 GT Radial MT, King extended travel front/rear, 2" add-a-leaf, Maxtrack Spindles, Sway bar delete, DSM UCA, All Pro IFS skid, Cab mount chop, bed cab locks, Black badges, cali raised amber LED fogs, 6K FX-R Morimoto projectors with 55watt ballast, fog mod, cheap rear dust lamp from autozone, Hellas 500 behind grill, Color match Satoshi Grill, Hood scoop, rear bumper by BTF, color matched Glassworks bed caps, Wet Okole seat covers
    8-32 size bolts for FX-R

11. Nov 29, 2011 at 7:51 PM
    907taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2010 BlackSandPearl 4x4

12. Dec 1, 2011 at 8:29 AM
    JustinL

JustinL Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Berlin, CT
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD OffRoad DCSB Pyrite Mica
    2012 Conversion
    Ben's on the money... I got the 3" long screws and cut them down with a dremel cutting wheel when I got the projector mounted to the reflector bowl.

Also, how about some washers for the back side of the reflector bowl. Here's Ben's thread with pics.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lighting/181863-bens-fx-r-retrofit.html

Also, a hole saw (to be used on drills) - maybe 2 1/8" in diameter would do fine.

13. Dec 1, 2011 at 9:29 AM
    08PRELB

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner LB
    Yes you will need to use washers on the back side of the reflector bowl. As for the hole saw yes you can use one. yosh2000 told me when I was doing mine that a 2" hole saw is what he uses but you can use a dremel and a cutting wheel and sanding disks.

14. Dec 1, 2011 at 12:02 PM
    BenJammn5

BenJammn5 RN

Member:
    San Jose
    Vehicle:
    TRD cat-back with Spintech prostreet muffler, AFE Pro dry S intake, 16" SCS F-5, 3.5 BS, 305/70 GT Radial MT, King extended travel front/rear, 2" add-a-leaf, Maxtrack Spindles, Sway bar delete, DSM UCA, All Pro IFS skid, Cab mount chop, bed cab locks, Black badges, cali raised amber LED fogs, 6K FX-R Morimoto projectors with 55watt ballast, fog mod, cheap rear dust lamp from autozone, Hellas 500 behind grill, Color match Satoshi Grill, Hood scoop, rear bumper by BTF, color matched Glassworks bed caps, Wet Okole seat covers
    thanks dude... i'm still running with 1 projector. New ballast arrived from Canada yesterday so I can finally finish the other one.

OP not sure if you added this to the list yet, but I recommend White Silicone to attach the shroud to the projector. Some use a different combo of epoxy's and JB weld but I like the fact that the Silicone allows some flex and you can remove the shroud for whatever reason in the future if necessary (it happened to me).

15. Dec 1, 2011 at 8:51 PM
    JustinL

JustinL Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Berlin, CT
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD OffRoad DCSB Pyrite Mica
    2012 Conversion
    Ben do you have a pic of the silicone tube brand you used? There's too damn many to choose from out there

16. Dec 2, 2011 at 7:43 AM
    BenJammn5

BenJammn5 RN

Member:
    San Jose
    Vehicle:
    Permatex brand- Clear RTV Silicone Adhesive Sealant, comes in a white squeeze bottle. About $6 at AutoZone.

17. Dec 2, 2011 at 8:04 AM
    AsianAnts

AsianAnts just an AnT

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Southern California (San Diego County)
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner TRD Sport L/B Grey Metallic
    -Satoshi Grille Upper/Lower/Triangles -LED Map Lights, LED Dome Light, LED License Plate Lights -No front license -Wet Okole -Weather Techs (digi) -Running Boards -Bed Extender -AFE Cold Air Intake 2SI Dry Filter -Tailgate Hose-Clamp Mod, Tailgate washer Mod -Combi chain lock on bed extender -no chime w/ key in ignition & open door -Fog Light anytime -Slim Cubby's 3kHID fog -bumper plugs -keyhole plug -TRD license plate frame -combi-lock storage -rear TSB -window tint -camera mod -Painted radiator/engine covers -LS460 RetroFit -Bed Tie-Downs -LED Gauge Cluster, radio, clock and AC -Bed Mat -Extra DRings -Painted center console, radio unit, ac panel, overhead console.
    I use the permatex brand as well, but the black hi-temp silicone adhesive sealant:

[​IMG]

18. Dec 5, 2011 at 9:57 PM
    Muy Grande

Muy Grande Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Dallas, TX; RGV, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD
    Suspension: DHoes up front, Dakar and OME out back. Audio: Alpine w205 w/ pair of Alpine Amps, Image Dynamic 6.5 Component Speakers up front and Image Dynamic Subs in the Back. Armor: ARB Bull Bar, Rocktek rear bumper and custom rock sliders. Other: Rigid Industries LED Light Bar, Platinum DieHard Battery, BlueSea Fuse Block, rear lights, bed lights, leds inside.

For the Headlights buy "Depo" brand lights. They sell them on Amazon already painted with the BHLM for $140 shipped. They are better than the ebay lights. The back housing is stronger.

For the shroud, I highly recommend you go with the "Orbit" Shroud with shroud rings. Trust me, these are the best fitting rings and will completely cover the projector. The Apollo Shrouds are too short and the Gatling Gun shrouds aren't as snug and don't cover the corners of the projector.

Other than that, get a 2" hole saw with a drill and drill from the outside of the bowl. Make sure it's aligned. Also put some masking tape along the edge of the bowl to keep from getting all scratched up. Expect to pay around $20 for this hole saw and get the one with a ton of shape teeth, it make your day easier. Also, expect to get a ton of fine dust all over the place so do it outside and use a mask....you don't want to breath that shit.

Good luck.

If you end up scratching up the bowl don't worry about it to much it will get painted (thats if you are painting the bowl) and most of it will get covered up anyway so imperfections are ok.

John

19. Dec 10, 2011 at 12:17 AM
    907taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2010 BlackSandPearl 4x4
    thnks for the tips :D

Products Discussed in

To Top