1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

FX-R retrofit Questions

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Gunmetal, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Jan 12, 2012 at 8:06 AM
    Gunmetal

Gunmetal [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Fairmont, WV
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport Double Cab
    Mostly Stock, FX-R retrofit in progress, AFE pro dry S filter
    Im in the middle of my retrofit and i have a few questions.

It seems like there is no way to get the shrouds to sit flush with the reflector bowl, is there? I have the gatling guns and they sit about an inch away due to how the projector mounts. Im going to be painting everything black so its not going to be that noticeable, i don't think.

Also, is the "grid" that the reflector bowls have level? is it safe to align the projector to the horizontal and vertical lines in the bowl?

I don't have any detailed shots, but here is one that is partially done.

[​IMG]

2. Jan 12, 2012 at 3:05 PM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans DISPLACED VIKING LIVING IN WYOMING

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    FULL AEV PROSPECTOR KIT++
    mount the projector farther back in the reflector bowl trim shrouds.

3. Jan 12, 2012 at 3:23 PM
    08PRELB

08PRELB Don't Tread On Me

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner LB
    Toy Tech Ultimate Lift kit,Buildt Right UCA's 285/70/17 BFG AT, Camburg Spindles, BHLM, K&N, Flow Master 50, Spider Trax, URD MAF CAL, Satoshi Grill, any time fog mod, 20% tint, Katzkins Leather Interior, FX-R Projector Retro
    You wont notice the gap once you black every thing out. Yes you can use the lines on the reflector bowl to align the projector but you will still need to check your horizontal alignment on a wall befor you seal them back up.

4. Jan 14, 2012 at 7:29 AM
    95SLE

95SLE Starting to get cold outside

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Custom XM Install, Window Tint, Intermittant Wiper Install, AVS Bug Deflector, Bed Mat, TRS FX-R retrofits, CIBIE fog and spot lamps, PIAA 510 lamps, Acess LE cover, Weathertech Digital floorr mats, LED interior lighting, Pioneer AVH-2300BT HU, Boston Acoustics speakers, JL Audio Amp, shorty antenna, leather wrap steering wheel cover, Viper security system.
    Do you know the size of the hole needed to make the Gatlin Guns a flush fit?

5. Jan 14, 2012 at 8:11 AM
    stunt man hans

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    you don't cut the factory reflector bowl any larger to get the more flush fit for the shroud.

you need to find a way to mount the projector itself a bit farther back then trim the shroud with a dremel tool with a little sanding thing on the end.

6. Jan 15, 2012 at 10:24 AM
    95SLE

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Custom XM Install, Window Tint, Intermittant Wiper Install, AVS Bug Deflector, Bed Mat, TRS FX-R retrofits, CIBIE fog and spot lamps, PIAA 510 lamps, Acess LE cover, Weathertech Digital floorr mats, LED interior lighting, Pioneer AVH-2300BT HU, Boston Acoustics speakers, JL Audio Amp, shorty antenna, leather wrap steering wheel cover, Viper security system.
    Hans:
    I have not opened my package from TRS yet but I will this week and get back to you. I really need to see what I am dealing with as far as the projector is concerned.

7. Jan 15, 2012 at 11:52 AM
    stunt man hans

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    shoot me a pm if you have questions. they are pretty easy there is also some very good write ups on here that if you follow you will be in great shape.

i like to jb weld things in a certain way to eliminate any chance of any funny business once its all sealed back up.

8. Jan 15, 2012 at 6:21 PM
    95SLE

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    I was going to use a high temp silicone seal and bolts to secure them to the reflector.

I have been reading till my head exploded. I did bookmark threads that had a lot of useful information.

Products Discussed in

To Top