1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

GA Tacoma Owners BS Thread

Discussion in 'Georgia' started by BYJOSHCOOK, Oct 29, 2008.

1. May 3, 2019 at 6:55 AM
    CowboyTaco

CowboyTaco $20 is $20

Member:
    North Georgia
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport
    Ok, so curious y'alls thoughts on aftermarket cold air intakes.

I know that when someone mentions CAI, everyone is quick to inform you that you have a CAI from the factory. That being said, the factory intake has a huge bend and the secondary charcoal filter.

I currently have the aFe pro dry drop in filter and didn't notice any change over the OEM filter. The only real advantage to it is the fact that I don't have to buy a new filter every major service.

Home Depot has the intake listed at 328 and is doing 20% off right now for pro members. (Code:HDPROSAVE20) That takes it down to about $256 + tax and free ship to store.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/aFe-POW...-11-4-Runner-03-09-V6-4-0L-51-81162/306615180

The aFe website boasts 100 CFM improvement in airflow and 10 HP gains (https://afepower.com/afe-power-51-8...-si-pro-dry-s-cold-air-intake-system#overview). I noticed on the airflow CFM chart, the part number is for the oiled filter. I don't know how much that would impact things, but worth noting that graph isn't the exact part. Also, the DYNO they show doesn't list any other mods. So I'd like to know if the test vehicle was bone stock other than the intake.

For the sake of direction of the debate, I want better gas mileage. All the disclaimers: I know I drive a truck. I know the mileage isn't ever going to be good....hence I want better mileage. I got 20.5 mpg consistently before i started modding. I'm down to around 16-17. If I can get back 1 mpg, I'd be happy.

For numbers sake: let's say I drive an avg of 12k miles annually. At 16 mpg, that's 750 gallons of fuel. At 17 mpg, that's 705 gallons of fuel. A difference of 45 gallons. At $2.75/gal, that's $123.75 savings annually.

At $256, that's a little over 2 years to get a full ROI assuming gas stays at the current price and a 1 MPG improvement.

What say you?

2. May 3, 2019 at 7:17 AM
    MAG GRY TACO15

MAG GRY TACO15 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    GA
    Vehicle:
    '15 TRD Off-Road
    Same crap everyone else got

First off, wtf when did home depot start selling auto parts haha. Interesting.
    Second, For the money, you will most likely never see a return in value via horse power or gas mileage. The only people who see gains in intake mods are those who already have high performance engines and have been tuned properly. Then adding a CAI or similar and a retune will help squeeze every last bit of performance out of the motor. For the average vehicle, the gains over a stock intake set up with never be worth the cost IMO.
    I can bet you all things shiny, their test vehicle that showed a 10hp gain was not a stock vehicle. Even if there was a gain of 5 to 10 hp, you will never know the difference driving it daily. It's like removing one potato from an already full cart, the horse won't fell it's any lighter. It alone is probably not worth it but if you were to pair it with other mods and then really start messing with stuff like your fuel system, etc then you will really see some gains and the CAI will be just part of the over all combo that is making power.
    Have I added CAI and the like to other vehicles? Sure I have but I did so knowing it was just a mod I wanted to add and didn't really expect to see any sort of return aside from the fact of just knowing it's something I added and different then stock b/c I can't leave my vehicles alone.
    Just my $.02

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  3. May 3, 2019 at 7:32 AM
    CowboyTaco

CowboyTaco $20 is $20

Member:
    North Georgia
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport
    Also, this.

4. May 3, 2019 at 7:37 AM
    MAG GRY TACO15

MAG GRY TACO15 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    GA
    Vehicle:
    '15 TRD Off-Road
    Same crap everyone else got
    I think they look better, sound a littler cooler and it's something else to add to the mod list. Plus the pat on the back for a job well done when installing. Honestly for the price it's not a huge investment so if it's something you want, just get it. If you get hp/gas mileage gains, even better. If not, oh well it's something you wanted. I had a rig one time with a winch that was never actually used for extracting a vehicle. Was it a waste of money? maybe, but its what I wanted and it made that vehicle look better haha. If you want it, I say get it. You have my blessing haha.

5. May 3, 2019 at 7:41 AM
    iK0NiK

iK0NiK Insert custom title here.

Member:
    First Name:
    West
    Columbus, GA
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB V6 TRDOR 4WD
    Bil 6112/5160's etc.
    Chiming in with a non-informative answer to your question.

If your motive is long-term cost savings, to me that wouldn't be worth it. 2 years from now you'll have added some other mod, something will be a little less efficient due to wear and tear, or the world might crash and burn. If it's going to take theoretically, on paper, under perfect conditions, 2 years for you to see a ROI on such a minor part, I don't think it's worth the money.

If you're doing it for the "cool" factor and just want to have a non-factory intake system under the hood... then :spending::spending: amigo, buy it up.

6. May 3, 2019 at 7:47 AM
    CowboyTaco

CowboyTaco $20 is $20

Member:
    North Georgia
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport
    I was hoping someone would chime in and say "I put an aftermarket intake on and saw better mileage."

Every company claims to get better HP and mileage, but I have seen little real world evidence to support it.

7. May 3, 2019 at 8:27 AM
    HappyGilmore

HappyGilmore LambTek Innovations

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Huntsville, AL
    Vehicle:
    2013 Supercharged DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    Yes
    This will be the intake I purchase. Compared to the others on the market, from the personal reviews I’ve read on TW, it seems to be one of the best.

For me personally, I’m purchasing it for power gains, and if I get a bump in mpg cool. I wouldn’t say that you won’t get any performance gain from adding this, but it may not be what is advertised.

I am expecting a performance bump when I install mine, but my truck is SC’d so that changes things completely.

8. May 3, 2019 at 8:42 AM
    CowboyTaco

CowboyTaco $20 is $20

Member:
    North Georgia
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport
    It also has the dry filter, so you don't have to worry about over oiling.

9. May 4, 2019 at 10:05 AM
    synaps3

synaps3 Wag more bark less

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Los Alamos, NM
    Vehicle:
    2017 White SR5 4x4 DCLB
    SOS armor, ARE MX walk-in, Fox coils, Dakar leafs, etc
    With all the EPA requirements for trucks to improve fuel economy, if it made 1mpg difference, Toyota would have already optimized their intake accordingly to do so. I don't believe any HP or MPG improvement numbers for a CAI on a stock truck.

Furthermore, many aftermarket filters lead to a long-term performance drop, especially the serviceable ones that you can clean and oil. They also allow more particulates into the engine.

A CAI is a waste unless you just want the cool points that go with it. Nothing wrong with getting one because it sound cool and looks cool, but there's no way to economically justify the expense.

Hardscrabble and bax like this.
  10. May 4, 2019 at 5:17 PM
    Corny Taco

Corny Taco The Sauce

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Columbus/Atlanta Georgia
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 DCSB Prerunner
    -33 inch Nitto Ridge Grapplers -18 inch fuel kranks -Bilstein 5100s -OME normal duty dakars -Toytec/Eibach coils -Magnaflow off-road pro exhaust -Prinsu roof rack -nfab rock guards -EBay Faux Trd Pro Grille -Custom basshead audio build in progress
  11. May 5, 2019 at 3:28 PM
    BYJOSHCOOK

BYJOSHCOOK [OP] Mr. Mojo Risin

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Woodstock and Alpharetta Ga
    Vehicle:
    2000 SR5 4WD Lunar Mist
    Check Out My Builds
    TLDR.

But just saying, if you get a cold air intake you can’t get a dope ass snorkel so is it really worth it? Imagine all the #ExpoPoints you get from the snorkel

12. May 5, 2019 at 6:11 PM
    CowboyTaco

CowboyTaco $20 is $20

Member:
    North Georgia
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport
    #MallRated

13. May 5, 2019 at 6:18 PM
    BYJOSHCOOK

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Vehicle:
    2000 SR5 4WD Lunar Mist
    Check Out My Builds
    0CF2F8FC-6090-4662-9260-9F27C18CD7DB.jpg

After this weekend the party never stops until 9am tomorrow. Let’s rage with some dragons :smokertransformer:

14. May 6, 2019 at 4:59 AM
    Built2Ride

Built2Ride Who wants to ride out?! PM Me.

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Southeast
    Vehicle:
    ‘17 TacoTRDPro, ‘18 T4RTRDPro, ‘12 Tundra, ‘07 FJC
    All my rigs are purpose built. From crawling to camping. I also enjoy a nice stock truck for what that’s worth. Toyota’s are the jam!
    Question. I have both, an over rated TRD intake and a expopoints Dodinsons Snorkel. Have been waiting on a new template design, before I drill a bunch of holes that are a 1/4” off from some wanky template.
    My question is, why won’t this snorkel work with the TRD. I figured I just needed to extend the hose.
    Care to share some knowledge.. o grand wizard of all dragons!?

15. May 6, 2019 at 6:54 AM
    CowboyTaco

CowboyTaco $20 is $20

Member:
    North Georgia
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport
    I'd actually like to come over when you do the snorkel install. I'm kind of on the fence. I may go this route instead of the intake.

....wife would kill me though....not sure how I'm still alive, so maybe she won't...

KaptainH likes this.
  16. May 6, 2019 at 8:00 AM
    KaptainH

KaptainH Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    Gainesville, GA
    Vehicle:
    Black 2013 DCLB Sport
    @BYJOSHCOOK and @bryanbyers28 have like 6 snorkel installs under their belt and for a case of beer would be glad to help I’m sure (course Bryan prolly doesn’t have much free time anymore with his new kiddo). I’ve also done mine. Just take a few shots or shotgun a beer to get the jitters out of the way and go to town with a drill

17. May 6, 2019 at 9:13 AM
    BadgerBoy

BadgerBoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, Ga
    Vehicle:
    17' TRDORMT (Sold); 07' FJC
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/my-17-tacoma-trdor-progression-most-of-it.673916/
  18. May 6, 2019 at 9:40 AM
    BYJOSHCOOK

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Vehicle:
    2000 SR5 4WD Lunar Mist
    Check Out My Builds
    I'm pretty sure it has to do with the tube that goes from the snorkel to the intake. I don't think the intake has a spot to connect to it. I could be wrong as I'm a peasant first gen and we don't get any special stuff

This is a valid statement :anonymous: But yes shot gunning a beer or funneling a beer from your snorkel tends to cure the jitters of the first hole

CowboyTaco and BadgerBoy like this.
  19. May 6, 2019 at 7:48 PM
    Built2Ride

Built2Ride Who wants to ride out?! PM Me.

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Southeast
    Vehicle:
    ‘17 TacoTRDPro, ‘18 T4RTRDPro, ‘12 Tundra, ‘07 FJC
    All my rigs are purpose built. From crawling to camping. I also enjoy a nice stock truck for what that’s worth. Toyota’s are the jam!
  20. May 6, 2019 at 7:51 PM
    rkam65

rkam65 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 Black Offroad Tacoma

Products Discussed in

To Top