1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

GA Tacoma Owners BS Thread

Discussion in 'Georgia' started by BYJOSHCOOK, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Jul 2, 2019 at 4:37 PM
    Built2Ride

Built2Ride Who wants to ride out?! PM Me.

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Southeast
    Vehicle:
    ‘17 TacoTRDPro, ‘18 T4RTRDPro, ‘12 Tundra, ‘07 FJC
    All my rigs are purpose built. From crawling to camping. I also enjoy a nice stock truck for what that’s worth. Toyota’s are the jam!
    I will check up at the shop to see if one is around tomorrow.

KaptainH[QUOTED] likes this.
  2. Jul 2, 2019 at 4:53 PM
    synaps3

synaps3 Wag more bark less

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Los Alamos, NM
    Vehicle:
    2017 White SR5 4x4 DCLB
    SOS armor, ARE MX walk-in, Fox coils, Dakar leafs, etc
    I did the chalk test, ended up at around 45psi. I ran that for ~15k miles.

Marietta's huge. East Cobb is nice for the most part. West Cobb has lots of less nice areas and a few that are up and coming. Do you have kids? If the answer is yes, I'd try to buy in Pope, Walton, or Lassiter High School districts. You really can't go wrong in those at all. Other Cobb schools aren't nearly as good.

Without kids, it's way more flexible, because you don't have to worry about school districts. I used to live off of 41 behind WOW Motorcycles in a house we bought for 60k (that was only in 2009 too). It's almost all rentals back in there with a lot of illegal immigrants renting cash leases. They were the best neighbors I ever had - honest, hard-working folks that won't bitch if you're working on a truck in your driveway.

You can go literally anywhere nowadays in Marietta without being worried about getting mugged or stabbed or whatever. Even Franklin Rd is nice now. But, schools are often very bad in the rest of Marietta other than in the 3 districts I mentioned above. We moved from the 60k house to Pope district specifically because we were starting a family. A nice side effect was real estate values. Millennials like me are up and coming and having families, so home values in good districts are skyrocketing. We bought our old house for $160k, sold it for $265 3 years later. Our current house has had a similar increase, we bought at $280k and the neighbors recently sold at $330k.

CowboyTaco and bax[QUOTED] like this.
  3. Jul 2, 2019 at 5:27 PM
    backcountryj

backcountryj Pending Approval

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    GA
    Sounds like you’re picking up a new hobby. If you haven’t already, check out this thread. Some great knowledge, and entertaining BS (as with most TW threads).

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/anything-welding.113957/page-632

KaptainH[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Jul 2, 2019 at 5:58 PM
    backcountryj

backcountryj Pending Approval

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    GA
  5. Jul 2, 2019 at 6:37 PM
    bax

bax Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Black 2015 DCSB TRD Off Road
    Nope, still at the airport. The commute concerns me, but I want to live somewhere closer to the mountains, Atlanta, AND work. Right now I’m just close to work and I find myself continuously driving an hour or more to do anything.
    I love the commute to work on 85, though. So part of me wonders if it’s worth living here and paying less. I think my problem is this city is just huge with too many ghettos, condos, and overpriced areas. There’s no perfect spot for my situation .

thanks for all the info!

I’m 26, single, and looking to be central to mountains, work, and the city as I stated above. I want to buy a house hopefully early next year so I do consider school districts for renting or resale purposes down the road.

I work at the Atlanta airport. 99% of my commute is night shift, though. Talking to guys at work they say it’s a little annoying sometimes but worth living where they want. I think I’ll scope it out for the next few months and see for myself.

What about the area kind of between Marietta and Powder Springs? Southwest Marietta I guess. I saw a few low-200k 3b2b homes there. As much as I would like a yard I’m leaning towards the cookie cutter neighborhoods because I really just want to get out of apartments and I want a garage. A big yard would be nice but I feel like I’d try to justify it too much and trap myself at home. I want to be out on the prowl if you know what I mean.

Edit: one of my concerns with the traffic is sometimes I work overnight 9pm-2:30pm and then have to be back at 9pm again. So a bad traffic day commuting to Marietta would leave me with very little sleep.

6. Jul 3, 2019 at 5:49 AM
    HappyGilmore

HappyGilmore LambTek Innovations

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Huntsville, AL
    Vehicle:
    2013 Supercharged DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    Yes
    Carnage... finally
    67DF9C6A-6F98-4CFF-82D8-B43B9C717A5D.jpg AF91A44F-6CE4-4387-9941-F9BD7E0DEF8D.jpg 34707B68-A0A2-41FC-9C1D-CDB6795F60EF.jpg

7. Jul 3, 2019 at 5:52 AM
    CowboyTaco

CowboyTaco $20 is $20

Member:
    North Georgia
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport
    Hey now, let's keep this PG.

Looks good! I think it's just the angle, but I can't really tell a difference between yours and my 265/70/17s....Though I'm ready to change it up. I'm torn between 255/80 and 285/70.

TL;DR: Look for a 3-6 year old starter home in a good school district.

Listen to everyone's advice and then do what you want. That's the best advice I can give.

With that being said, a lot can change in the time that you own your home. At your age, there is a good chance that you'll find a girl and possibly even start a family in the next 10 years. Of course, you can always sell that home and purchase a new one to accommodate for any changes of that nature, but it's easier to do it right the first time. Whether you want kids or not, school district is HUGE. A good school district will certainly have a positive impact on the value of your home. If you think you want some land eventually, it's worth considering that now. If you plan to wrench on your own vehicle, make sure the garage is big enough for all your tools AND 2 cars.

Playing devil's advocate, there are some trade-offs. A house with more land is probably going to be older, which means more upkeep and more headaches.

When we bought our first house, it was a 3/2 cookie cutter made by DR Horton. It had about a .13 acre lot and was 1524 sq. ft. It was built in 2006 and we purchased in 2011. The value almost doubled by the time we sold it. It was the perfect starter house and I wish that I had kept it instead of buying the house on an acre. I'd be a stupid wealthy man if I hadn't bought a fixer-upper....only to fix everything and then move states. It would have been worth it if it were my forever home like we planned. However, life happened and it no longer met all of our needs.

8. Jul 3, 2019 at 5:53 AM
    synaps3

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Los Alamos, NM
    Vehicle:
    2017 White SR5 4x4 DCLB
    Oh man, in that case you should go further North than Marietta.

The problem with the areas I outlined in Cobb is they're way back on backroads. You want to be as close to 75/575 for the sake of your commute... My commute from my house in Pope district is just under 1 hour each way to downtown, with more than half of that time me getting through residential roads to the interstate. If I was in your situation, I'd look into moving up 575 right off Sixes road. There's AWESOME mountain biking there at Blanket's creek, houses are more affordable, and honestly, the commute will be less than a commute from East / West Cobb with all the surface street driving. Just pick a neighborhood right near the interstate. :)

BadgerBoy likes this.
  9. Jul 3, 2019 at 5:55 AM
    BYJOSHCOOK

BYJOSHCOOK [OP] Mr. Mojo Risin

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Woodstock and Alpharetta Ga
    Vehicle:
    2000 SR5 4WD Lunar Mist
    Check Out My Builds
    It’s a little tough to find a place up in that area tbh. I’ve been looking since March up in this area, of course I’m a little picky when it came to looking so that could be the reason :rolleyes:

10. Jul 3, 2019 at 6:09 AM
    Scott B.

Scott B. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2015 ACLB SR5 4x4 Expo
    I got about 70,000 miles on my previous set of BFGs - 285/75-16 running about 33 lbs of pressure.

You ran 45 lbs? How heavy is your truck? Mine is heavy, and I got great tire wear at 33 lbs. Seems to me, 45 lbs would wear out the center of the tire and give a very stiff ride.

KaptainH likes this.
  11. Jul 3, 2019 at 6:23 AM
    Pizzasteve5717

Pizzasteve5717 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Marietta, GA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma TRD prerunner
    Lmao hey man I couldn't help myself :rolleyes:

CowboyTaco[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Jul 3, 2019 at 7:01 AM
    HappyGilmore

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Huntsville, AL
    Vehicle:
    Yes
    Alright, here are some actual pictures :rofl: Finished at 3am last night so didn’t have the energy to find lighting to take good pictures lol. Really happy with the outcome, and the paint match. First Tacoma that I know of that has a paint matched rear HC iirc. Just glad to finally have 360 degree protection!!!A1723261-BE10-4763-A916-D9FD23FAE2B5.jpgA9A0781F-4A47-462E-88B2-6B66879AC913.jpg22019AA9-B04C-492D-898A-55C90C6980CE.jpgFE2CD347-E76A-445B-A5EC-5C3E730FB891.jpg

It’s come a ways in just 6 months...
    EEAA4F8E-4845-40A1-BB26-5CF97FAB354F.jpg

I think the next thing will be to upgrade the old OME suspension to something that can handle the weight a little better.

13. Jul 3, 2019 at 7:05 AM
    synaps3

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Los Alamos, NM
    Vehicle:
    2017 White SR5 4x4 DCLB
    Heavy. Full skids, racks, winch bumper, HC rear with swingout, camper with platform and cargo. I run Dakar HD springs with a pair of sumosprings to keep the rear from squatting. Hence the high PSI from the chalk test.

You're right, it did wear out the center and rode rough. The middle of the KO2s was at 4/32 at the worst tire, with the outside at 6/32. All tires were the same - about 2/32 more tread at the edge, with severe cupping on the inside. None of them had more than 6/32 at the center. My wife could IMMEDIATELY tell something was different from my new tires - she's like "why is the truck so smooth today, is something wrong?" :rofl:

I don't think it helped that the 235/85 is 9" wide. That's 2" less wide than the size we're running now. I'm sure that didn't help, even though I was still nowhere near the weight rating for the tire. You can see how thin they are fairly well in this pic.

I haven't chalk tested the new 285/75s yet, but they put them at 35 and they're riding silky smooth.

BadgerBoy likes this.
  14. Jul 3, 2019 at 7:07 AM
    synaps3

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Los Alamos, NM
    Vehicle:
    2017 White SR5 4x4 DCLB
    Holy crap, small world. That's the Dalney Deck. I may be one of your coworkers. :anonymous:

15. Jul 3, 2019 at 7:09 AM
    Scott B.

Scott B. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2015 ACLB SR5 4x4 Expo
    You sound as heavy as I am.

I wonder if the issue was the size - or lack thereof. In that photo, those tires are skinny!

I hate that you decided not to run BFGs again - I really like mine. Good luck with your tires - I am sure you will like the 285 size.

synaps3[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Jul 3, 2019 at 7:20 AM
    HappyGilmore

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Huntsville, AL
    Vehicle:
    Yes
    Where do you work?? Its the North Campus Parking Deck which is right next to the Dalney Deck thats being built now...

Pizzasteve5717 likes this.
  17. Jul 3, 2019 at 7:27 AM
    KaptainH

KaptainH Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    Gainesville, GA
    Vehicle:
    Black 2013 DCLB Sport
    Plans for new suspension?

HappyGilmore[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Jul 3, 2019 at 7:29 AM
    HappyGilmore

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Huntsville, AL
    Vehicle:
    Yes
    Not a clue, I dont know a thing about suspension. I just want to get some clearance back that i lost. I was talking to Brad last time we went camping and he was telling me about his setup (Bilsteins iirc), so that may be something i look into? Ideally I'd like to ball out and get Kings but I dont think thats realistic, or necessary lol.

19. Jul 3, 2019 at 7:48 AM
    CowboyTaco

CowboyTaco $20 is $20

Member:
    North Georgia
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport
    What OME springs do you have now? I'm guessing 885x since that is pretty much the DCSB w/no weight standard. Why not just upgrade to 886x (stiffer) or 887x (spring rate is same as 885, but spring is taller)?

It'll cost you under $200 and we can swap them pretty darn quickly. I'll estimate an hour, but add time for BS and beer and we're looking at more like 2 hours.

HappyGilmore likes this.
  20. Jul 3, 2019 at 7:50 AM
    BYJOSHCOOK

BYJOSHCOOK [OP] Mr. Mojo Risin

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Woodstock and Alpharetta Ga
    Vehicle:
    2000 SR5 4WD Lunar Mist
    Check Out My Builds
    Kings and forget about it. Like driving on a cloud. You could relocate the rear shocks and it’ll be even better

Products Discussed in

To Top