1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Gained 2.5mpg with 93oct/K&N Drop-in

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tacobox, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Aug 30, 2010 at 9:09 AM
    tacobox

tacobox [OP] Evasive Maneuvers PMKMS

Member:
    With all the talk of octane, air filters/intakes and the secondary a/f removal I decided to give it a shot myself. I couldn't belive the gains so before I posted I ran through one more take just to be sure my info was correct. I'm tracking it on fuelly and a mpg fuel app on my phone. Before on 87 and a stock A/F I was getting 15.7mpg on my last tank. I installed a k&n drop-in, removed the secondary air filter and filled up with 93oct and it went up to 18.2mpg. My truck is running better than it ever has, averaging about 350 miles per tank. With about 2.5gal of fuel left in the tank upon fuel-up so the milage could go higher than 350. So if you're on the fence about a drop-in filter and 93oct, it's definatly worth doing. Not sure which gave the extra mpg but the combo of all 3 works IMO.

2. Aug 30, 2010 at 9:10 AM
    Andrew H

Andrew H What is this "search" you speak of?

Member:
    Dirty Tucson
    Vehicle:
    2017SSMDCSBTRDS
    Nice. Just trying to justify spending 70 on the afe dry drop in

3. Aug 30, 2010 at 9:34 AM
    tacobox

Member:
    I picked up a used k&n for $35shipped

4. Aug 30, 2010 at 9:45 AM
    Old Soul

Old Soul Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    09 AC V6 SR5 2WD SWB
    not to many, love it the way it is
    from what I've read, the secondary filter removal really only helps the 4 bangers. the 6 cyl tacos pretty much allow all the volume of air that is possible to enter the motor at stock. if trying to force more air flow into the engine than the stock set up allows the computer will probably be re-adjusting to optimal air flow as designed by the manufacturers. A complete re flash and calibration of the ecm (like done with the supercharger installation) may be the only way to actually benefit from extra air flow to the engine . The taco engineers designed the stock air flow system very well.

To the OP, other than the switch to 93,91 octane which I myself have noticed quite a bit of difference compared to 87 octane the filter is possibly not having that much impact..

5. Aug 30, 2010 at 10:04 AM
    hookedontronics

hookedontronics Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Glenville, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC Off Road 4x4
    Icon extended travel 3.5" front coilovers, DSM UCAs, TSB leaf pack w/ wheelers AAL, All Pro U-bolt flip kit, Walker Evans 2.0 rear shocks, 18" XD Monster rims, Nitto trail grappler 285/65R18 Tires, Color matched grill, Grillcraft, Kragen HIDs, Carling switches, my bed light mod, diff drop, Alpine IVA-W505, JL Audio C5 componets and coaxials, JL 300/4 and 250/1 amps and JL stealthbox, wheathertechs, avs vent visors, toyota bed x-tender, alcantara center console cover and door pocket covers, console vault, color matched mirrors, heated mirrors, etc etc etc
    i have a stock intake and i'm seeing the same gains. i keep track on my iphone

6. Aug 30, 2010 at 10:16 AM
    tonto340

tonto340 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Gambrills, MD
    I get consistent 20.5 to 21.3 with K&N and premium fuel. The only time it goes belowe 20 is when I tow the boat.

7. Aug 30, 2010 at 10:31 AM
    Tacomanator

Tacomanator Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clam Slammer
    Southern Cali
    King 2.5" extended travel coilovers with compression adjusters, Camburg UCA's, King 2.5" rear shocks, TRD 1st gen CAI.
    thats some awsome mpg.

im gonna start keeping track of mine. with my 285's i was getting about 320 miles out of a full tank, i also have a heavy foot. now i have 265's and a drop-in K&N also.

how do you remove the secondary filter? i didnt even know you could take it out. is it easy?

8. Aug 30, 2010 at 12:24 PM
    yosh2000

yosh2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    '17 Tundra CM 5.7
    ^ i thought you sold the truck??

and to the OP...how many fillups have you tracked? my mileage can very by sometimes 5 mpg between fillups (depending on what i did)...im really having a hard time believing that increased octane and a filter designed to get more air (see more fuel) into the engine actually gaining 2.5 mpgs...but i could be wrong.

9. Aug 30, 2010 at 12:25 PM
    jdtemple

jdtemple Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area CA
    Vehicle:
    08 DBLCAB LB TRD Sport
    Lift & Tires, in cab power outlets, Locking Bed Boxes, K&N
    I got my first tank of 20+ mpg 2 times this weekend.
    First tank cruising 55-62mph (Was following a trailer to the camp site), In CA speed limit is 55mph when towing, went up the 5 to the reno 80, about half way up the 80 we made a fuel stop for the cheaper prices before getting into truckee.
    Second tank was on the way back from truckee all the way to dublin, ca.

My stats are updated on fuelly, but that doesn't account for the tire size change. I use roadtrip on the iphone to manage my fill ups on the road.

10. Aug 30, 2010 at 12:53 PM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    I've needed to replace the stock filter for quite some time now. Since I'll be paying for one regardless I'm going to go with a K&N or some other reusable filter element. I think I still have the recharge kit I used with the last K&N I had on my Lexus so I might get that one.

11. Aug 30, 2010 at 1:08 PM
    Tacomanator

Tacomanator Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clam Slammer
    Southern Cali
    King 2.5" extended travel coilovers with compression adjusters, Camburg UCA's, King 2.5" rear shocks, TRD 1st gen CAI.
    who, me?

12. Aug 30, 2010 at 1:19 PM
    tacobox

Member:
    With more air flow in the engine, from either a better intake or an actual air inlet leak, the ecu will do 1 of 2 things. It will add more fuel as long as the IDC (injector duty cycle) is not getting to the point of maxing out. Or 2, the ecu will pull timing from that load cell in the ignition map. Being the 4.0L has VVTi , it has multiple VVTi maps to advance or retard cam timing aswell and alows more power output on a higher octane fuel. All being done to try to find the target AFR with conditions given. But I do agree. With a stock fuel,ign,cam timing, yes toyota has made a very efficient engine. I can't wait to get my hands on this. http://www.aprpower.com/ECU_mainpage.html I know that just installing a intake or exhaust ect... with this APR Power ecu will yeild more power gains along with better MPG from having control over fuel, ignition timing and cam timing. Just the APR itself, will add big gains.

Mine are usally always consistent running the a/c in 90* heat. I switched out the filter with about a half tank of gas left then filled up with 93. With running the filter and just over half a tank of 87 topped off with 93 The mpg went up 1.9mpg compared to my previous fill up with 87 and all stock. I was totally surprised and thought I might see 1mpg gain. Since I've been meticulously keeping track, I've had 3 or 4 tanks with 87/stock and this is my 3rd tank with 93/k&n. My last fillup was 18.1mpg and this one was 18.2 with 50/50 city highway driving with the A/C on most of the time.

Very nice, add some 265/75's and hammer down then you'll be seeing mpg like me haha

13. Aug 30, 2010 at 5:51 PM
    BuckNakedBooda

BuckNakedBooda There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Member:
    Woodbridge, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2013 Toyota Tundra Crewmax Limited 4x4
    It seems that the extra 30 cents per gallon for fuel might work out as a slight gain for me. Per my calculations, fuel costs me 16 cents per mile in the Tacoma and if you I can get 2.5 miles per gallon in mileage, that would reduce my cost per fuel mile to 13.33 cents per mile.

Also I'm getting ready to drop in K&N Series 63 Air Intake system.....

14. Aug 30, 2010 at 6:26 PM
    Workman

Workman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 access cab, off road, V6
    Gas mileage is one of the reasons why I love my truck. I have put about 7,000 miles so far (theres 72000 on it), and have never got below 20mpg. I got 24 once from Jackson Wy to Moab. average 22-23. Its stock, 265's, and mobil 1 in engine, diffs, t case. Stock air filter, denso plugs. I ALWAYS use premium, and usually shell gas. I dont really rally the truck, and coast as much as I can to save brakes and gas, and I go the speed limit almost always. I LOVE THE V6's MILEAGE!!

15. Aug 31, 2010 at 4:33 AM
    Old Soul

Old Soul Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    09 AC V6 SR5 2WD SWB
    not to many, love it the way it is

that looks very interesting, please keep us informed if you get that device installed on your truck.

Products Discussed in

To Top