1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Game Warden or Truck Driver?

Discussion in 'Jobs & Careers' started by GreeGunc, Nov 30, 2014.

1. Dec 4, 2014 at 10:29 AM
    Boerseun

Boerseun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ferdie
    Sarasota, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra TRD Sport 4x4
    Upgraded 2002 Tacoma to 2018 Tundra
    ^^^Might be a good job when you are 18, and will teach you important life skills, such as working with clients, etc. but make sure you don't get stuck in a field where you don't want to be 20 years from now.

2. Dec 4, 2014 at 5:29 PM
    GreeGunc

GreeGunc [OP] Full of regret

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    North GA
    Vehicle:
    1st gen 3rz+18' inferno OR 6spd
    2lo mod. PIAA 510s. Green Floor Lights. Green dash swap. Axle dump exhaust. Husky floor mats. Moto metal mo970's. Shrockworks. Sundown sa-8. 9.5xrc. Kings
    Thanks guys, im trying to find some other careers to.

3. Dec 4, 2014 at 6:06 PM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    Not to be rude, but be sure to learn to write, spell, use capitals and punctuation properly. And select the correct word for its usage. Like to, too, two.

It will help you a lot. Even if only need it on the applications or resumes.

4. Dec 7, 2014 at 12:24 AM
    Sido

Sido Well-Known Member

Member:
    Anchorage
    Vehicle:
    None
    I grew up in a trucking family. My grandpa was a trucker and so was my father. When I was 18 I got my class A CDL. It was hard work, but I found it challenging and exciting.

If you really want to drive, what about looking into the Office of Secure Transportation. Haul nukes around the country! You will be the ultimate trucker. Retire with full federal benefits after 20 years.
    https://fmt.kcp.com/OSTfederalagent/

I think this would be an interesting job.
    http://m.state.gov/mc8857.htm

What about truck driver for the Central Intelligence Agency?
    https://www.cia.gov/careers/opportunities/support-professional/truck-driver.html

The opportunities are limitless. The positions above would be very hard to get, but not impossible. Look at the requirements. Study hard in school, stay out of trouble, and the world will be your oyster. If you ever wanted to go abroad you could go to New Zeland or Australia and work there too.

My best friend's dad was a game warden. Had tons of interesting stories. Really a great career. It was in oregon where the game wardens are state police, not all states are like that. If you like hunting it will suck because you will have to work every hunting season.

5. Dec 7, 2014 at 12:40 AM
    Sido

Sido Well-Known Member

Member:
    Anchorage
    Vehicle:
    None
    I forgot to add you should also check out the federal job listing at USAjobs.gov there are many driving jobs on there.

In Jan- March the National Park Service posts positions for CDL drivers. The pay is good but the work is seasonal. And there are literally positions all over the country in places you have never heard of!

6. Dec 7, 2014 at 12:49 AM
    Chopper678

Chopper678 Professional Threadjacker

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    '07 SR5 PreRunner V6 DCSB
    5100s@0.85"+Eibachs, Toytec 2" AAL, Weathertech floor liners, WO seat covers, UltraGauge, ammo box mod
    Do what makes you happy and you'll never work a day in your life. Forget about the money, how you spend it is a ton more useful than how much you make.
    Here was my list as a kid and all the way into high school
    Soldier (no branch, just a soldier!)
    Archeologist (lolwut)
    Doctor
    Navy Corpsman/Seal
    Now in school for mechanical engineering. Still might try and go military with it after graduation

Good luck!!

7. Dec 7, 2014 at 7:31 AM
    GreeGunc

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    North GA
    Vehicle:
    2lo mod. PIAA 510s. Green Floor Lights. Green dash swap. Axle dump exhaust. Husky floor mats. Moto metal mo970's. Shrockworks. Sundown sa-8. 9.5xrc. Kings
    Thanks guys, and by the way, what jobs require mechanical engineering in college?

8. Dec 7, 2014 at 10:22 AM
    Chopper678

Chopper678 Professional Threadjacker

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    '07 SR5 PreRunner V6 DCSB
    5100s@0.85"+Eibachs, Toytec 2" AAL, Weathertech floor liners, WO seat covers, UltraGauge, ammo box mod
    Mainly going to be a mechanical engineer at a plant which consists of making things run more efficiently, keeping them from breaking, and analyzing sytems. Where I live oil is king, we pretty much fuel the nation so many of us go into the plants. It may sound bad but it isn't.
    Other than that, maybe you could use the degree to design parts for equipment like airplanes or trucks. You should really look at the occupational outlook handbook online. Those who put CAD drawings on here for designs for our trucks most likely have experience in engineering.
    You could be an engineer for the military if you like.

9. Dec 7, 2014 at 10:30 AM
    bzzr2

bzzr2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    i considered truck driving last year at this time, seemed like an easy entry type of career. now i've been working a desk job making around 70k a yr for a while, started only making 35k... sick of being at a desk surrounded by ppl i really didn't like very much, mind you i was contracting in various offices, never stable work, no matter how hard i worked and what i delivered at the end of the contract it was done, fed up with this. turns out truck driving doesn't really pay that well at all. i did a long trip this past summer.. several months on the road and it was great, i spoke to a lot of truck drivers from young to old in age, they all spend a lot of time on the road and essentially seem to only make 20-25 bucks an hour. not great imo. use your brain, go to school for something that you are interested in and things will come together in time. i'm twice your age and going back to school. within reason of course, don't take an art or english or history degree...!

10. Dec 7, 2014 at 4:01 PM
    GreeGunc

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    North GA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the advice bud, I might start welding things on the side for something till im good at it. My dad bought a brand new Lincoln gas welder and he wants to build treestands for our hunting club. Might take a route like that just don't know where to start.

11. Dec 7, 2014 at 4:28 PM
    bzzr2

bzzr2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    when i was in high school all the stoners took trades, now they are all doing very well for themselves!! good money and lots of different opportunities. welders, plumbers, electricians and carpenters always seem to find side jobs for extra cash also. but lots of them end up hurt and injured and sore for life, just remember to be smart about heavy work or working around others. i worked underground in a mine before going into a desk job and safety 1st!

12. Dec 8, 2014 at 1:33 AM
    hetkind

hetkind Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Access Cab, white with Leer Cap
    bilstein set at 1.75, Racho 5000 rear with 4 leaf kit, floor mats, high lift jack, pull hook in hitch, bed rail corner braces, severe duty brake pads and devil horns on the grill....
    For one, Mechanical Engineering...the design of motors, machinery, production plants, and household items. Specialty areas of Mechanical include Industrial Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, Automotive Engineering, Aerospace and Aviation Engineering and Materials Engineering.

There are three MAIN branches of Engineering, Mechanical, Civil and Electrical.

Mechanical involves all kinds of machines, from cars to planes to factory equipment.

Civil involves structures from houses to dams to roads.

Electrical involves things that use electricity from light bulbs to computers.

Many engineering educators think that the Mechanical Engineering Degree is the most flexible and gives an excellent background for advanced study in most fields of engineering and science.

I got my degree in Mechanical Engineering in the last 70-early 80 and worked on such varied jobs early in my career in hydraulic design of submarines, System Safety design of helicopters, Operational Safety for the assembly of nuclear weapons. Then I went back to school for a Masters and most of a PhD in Industrial Engineering, where I studied advanced analysis techniques for ultra high risk industrial activities. One of the professors at the school I did my graduate work at was Neil Armstrong, the first man on the moon.

Now I am the technical leader of a team of 10 men over the southeast, from the Carolinas to Texas and we oversee the safety aspects of the manufacture and overhaul of Military Aircraft, Missile Systems, Rockets, and Munitions by Commercial companies on government projects, to include Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Raytheon, Winchester, Remington, FN, Glock, General Dynamics among other, lesser known, companies.

The guys on my team are paid upwards of 80k a year, issued a government car and laptop computer and travel about two weeks of month, staying is midlevel hotels such as Holiday Inn, Comfort Inn and get an additional $50 day for meals. We visit and tour production plants, normally in brief and out brief with the Plant Manager.

Since I am the technical leader, I travel the territory and visit my men and tour the plants with them, and also, do most of the advanced analysis required. One of the projects I am working on is determining just how much concrete and steel would stop the fragments produced by a certain high tech missile system. On this team, we have both company and government engineers and scientists with weekly conference calls and monthly or quarterly meetings to examine the buildings to be used for assembly.

When I am not traveling around the countryside, I am usually in my office, where I have a 5 foot wide drafting table and analyze large scale drawings in great detail, or working from home on a fast desktop workstation in the comfort of sweats and my dogs at my feet.

But, I have to warn you, the math can be intimidating. I would like to convince you to go into engineering instead of truck driving or working in the woods...I have plenty of time to work in the woods evenings and weekends. Since I am not bound to any particular city or location, I decided to live up in the Smokey Mountains, not far outside the Great Smokey National Park, on 30 acres up in the Cherokee National Forest.

Howard

13. Dec 8, 2014 at 2:36 AM
    coffeesnob

coffeesnob Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd

how about NDT or non destructive testing. Dye penetrant, Ultra sonic testing etc.... It's not that hard to learn you won't be in debt for a useless generic degree and the pay is great especially if you want OT. You can do some traveling..

http://www.ndt.org/jobs.asp?ObjectID=4018

14. Dec 8, 2014 at 2:51 AM
    J1Time

J1Time That guy...

Member:
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma TRD Off Road 4x4
    You need to seriously consider a branch of military. Go in see the world, enjoy life in early twenties. Get out after some years and decide what is right for you. You will have an awesome reference/resume for an employer and if you decide on a degree, it's paid for. No brainier in your shoes.

15. Dec 8, 2014 at 3:00 AM
    teamamerica

teamamerica Get off your horse and drink your milk.

Member:
    Wy
    Vehicle:
    2009 tacoma
    none yet
    not a bad idea.
    OP if you do the military, I would strongly suggest a job that has a chance on the outside world of getting you a job. Medical is always a great field, as well as aircraft mechanic. Many people decide on "infantry" or "artillery", and don't have the best chances of getting a job with their experience on the outside world.

16. Dec 8, 2014 at 5:19 AM
    dannyk35

dannyk35 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    Jackson, WI
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma TRD OR, 2002 Tacoma TRD OR
    My dad's got a buddy who works for the railroad, and he's been saying that all the railroads have been hurting, as they need people. Railroads are government related, so yeah.

17. Dec 8, 2014 at 5:21 AM
    ThirdCoast

ThirdCoast Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD TX
  18. Dec 8, 2014 at 7:57 AM
    NorthwestCruiser

NorthwestCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Snohomish, WA
    Vehicle:
    1996 Land Cruiser
    Custom 3 link, 40's etc..
  19. Dec 8, 2014 at 4:10 PM
    moondeath

moondeath Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    I agree 100% with finding a job with the feds. Typically they pay well and they have great retirement. It's well worth it if you can get a job with them.

20. Dec 8, 2014 at 7:23 PM
    GreeGunc

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    North GA
    Vehicle:
    The Mechanical Engineering pathway sounds nice. I will look more into it, but I just got off work and I have finals so I will talk to you guys tomorrow.

To Top