1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Garage Floor Epoxy Coating Help

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by slimsdepot, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Feb 9, 2012 at 1:36 PM
    Aggie97

Aggie97 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    '07 PreRunner
    custom tan leather seats, bed track system bike rack, Vision Warrior wheels, smittybilt nerf bars, Extang BlackMax tonneau cover.

I'll have to check. I don't have any on my current phone. I may have to take some...when clean.

2. Feb 9, 2012 at 1:43 PM
    slimsdepot

slimsdepot [OP] slimsdepot.com

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner
    I live in California and have an attached garage so moisture might not be as much of a problem. I do like the look of the flakes a lot that epoxy have. Ugh what to do what to do. I heard rustoleum epoxy kit works pretty well.

3. Feb 9, 2012 at 1:58 PM
    Aggie97

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    '07 PreRunner
    custom tan leather seats, bed track system bike rack, Vision Warrior wheels, smittybilt nerf bars, Extang BlackMax tonneau cover.
    You probably would not have a moisture issue with an attached garage and living in CA.

I have friends with attached garages here that have not had moisture issues or bubbling issues with epoxy floors.

I'm not trying to steer you one way or the other because I seriously considered epoxy on my previous house, but the one other thing I like about the stain is, if your floor ever needs a touch up, or if you ever wanted to change color, or whatever...you can easily slap a new coat of this stuff on. I don't think you can or would want to with epoxy.

If it's definitely a one time and done...epoxy would work for you.

4. Feb 9, 2012 at 2:05 PM
    slimsdepot

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner
    Yea I wanna do it once then be done kind of thing. I think im goin to go with either the H&C epoxy plus clear coat and shark grip or the rustoleum/quickcrete type kit. I appreciate the advice 100%! and help with pointing me to H&C. Now time to do some research who to go with lol.

5. Feb 9, 2012 at 2:19 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.
    ... ^^^ ... Ditto ... I am doing my floor "kinda" like your floor this summer. (No paint or epoxy to peel)

6. Feb 9, 2012 at 2:27 PM
    sofiasdad11

sofiasdad11 Reads more than posts

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Near the Windy City, but in the country
    Vehicle:
    2011 BLACK 4X4 DCLB TRD SPORT
    Flux capacitor (2nd gen version), toytec ultimate liftkit, amp research powersteps, custom katzkin heated leather incl. console cover, retraxpro retractable bed cover, earnhardt jr. cannons@18x9(summer),ballistic jesters@18x9 (winter),285/60/18 nitto grapplers, bodymatched bushwackers, the original Homertaco full satoshi " raptor" grill, viper 5704 remote/smart-start/alarm w/viper cellulor app, ravelco anti-theft device, ipcw tails, redline hoodstruts, oem roof rack, led maps/dome, backup light mod, swingcase storage box, jl audio stealthbox and amps,focal drivers,alpine carplay unit, pop&lock premium handle, seatbelt chime disabled, tailgate hoseclamp mod, rich evans caliper covers, weathertech digitalfit mats, flyzeye V2W,oem bedmat, salex console organizer,speeddawg shiftknob
    used H&C stain, then later Thompson's garage floor coating on a previous house---both failed. used rustoleum's 2-part epoxy, as epoxy formulations were the state-of-the-art at the time, on our present house (not new) and it also failed. keep in mind, i performed ALL prep recommended. i.e. etching w/ muriatic acid, spot-testing, and thorough cleaning. spoke w/a professional painter about these commercial claims, never forget his response---"they lie." had even learned Jay Leno had problems w/ floor coatings:eek: finally went snaplock products and never looked back. can dig up further pics if interested..........hope this helps:)

DSC02763.jpg
    DSC02764.jpg

7. Feb 9, 2012 at 3:31 PM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    IMO Rustoleums prep recommendations were weak and their cleaner/etcher sucked. I went well above and beyond their recommendations for prep and I have had good results.

8. Feb 9, 2012 at 3:42 PM
    slimsdepot

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner
    Sofiasdad what does that product run cost wise? Looks nice

9. Feb 9, 2012 at 4:05 PM
    sofiasdad11

sofiasdad11 Reads more than posts

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Near the Windy City, but in the country
    Vehicle:
    2011 BLACK 4X4 DCLB TRD SPORT
    Flux capacitor (2nd gen version), toytec ultimate liftkit, amp research powersteps, custom katzkin heated leather incl. console cover, retraxpro retractable bed cover, earnhardt jr. cannons@18x9(summer),ballistic jesters@18x9 (winter),285/60/18 nitto grapplers, bodymatched bushwackers, the original Homertaco full satoshi " raptor" grill, viper 5704 remote/smart-start/alarm w/viper cellulor app, ravelco anti-theft device, ipcw tails, redline hoodstruts, oem roof rack, led maps/dome, backup light mod, swingcase storage box, jl audio stealthbox and amps,focal drivers,alpine carplay unit, pop&lock premium handle, seatbelt chime disabled, tailgate hoseclamp mod, rich evans caliper covers, weathertech digitalfit mats, flyzeye V2W,oem bedmat, salex console organizer,speeddawg shiftknob
    $ 2.99 per s.f. worth every penny in that firmly believe will outlast any type of coating. looking for pics when i installed................:D

10. Feb 9, 2012 at 4:25 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 48 Year Chrysler/Toyota/ASE/ Master Tech.RETIRED

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6 1995 Bass Tracker
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    That's why i was thinking a touch up with the stain would be a lot easier and faster than epoxy. Plus i was going to use mats or something similar for parking for the tires.

I can't afford 2 grand for flooring in a unheated garage. but i have to stop the dam dust. i used water seal like 6 years ago and it didn't do What i wanted. So i know i'll have to etch it and pressure wash it. I'll also have to do it in 2 steps and do it in halves...

11. Feb 9, 2012 at 5:15 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.
  12. Feb 9, 2012 at 5:16 PM
    slimsdepot

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner
    I'd like to go VCT it looks very nice but I have like 1.5' stems on each side of the garage that I could epoxy to look more finished.

13. Feb 9, 2012 at 6:33 PM
    slimsdepot

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner
    Ok did some research and looked at some photos. Definitely going VCT tile and not worry about the curbing around the two side walls. Looks so nice.

14. Feb 9, 2012 at 6:48 PM
    slimsdepot

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner
  15. Feb 10, 2012 at 5:04 AM
    Aggie97

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    '07 PreRunner
    If that were an independent article, I'd put more weight into it, but it's a blog by Silikal which is a competitor of VCT flooring.

I love the look of VCT flooring but it costs too much for my liking. If my garage were a true man cave that I didn't use for so much, then maybe and I can see maybe way down the road. Right now I wanted something way cheaper, that still looks good, easy to clean, and just helped brighten up the garage. I have 3 kids so constantly battling them to help me keep garage clean and organized. So I can see going over the top with my garage later in life when we are empty nesters but I have a ways for that.

16. Feb 10, 2012 at 5:05 AM
    Joben7726

Joben7726 wes mantooth ™

Member:
    First Name:
    Joben
    Western PA/Va Beach
    Vehicle:
    Trail limo
    more than list-able
    if you give me a set of retros, ill come do your garage for nuthin. :spy:

17. Feb 10, 2012 at 5:43 AM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    Does that VCT checkerboard pattern give anyone else a headache? Maybe it's just me but it must be the black and white high contrast thing that bothers me. I'm sure less contrasting colors wouldn't be as bad. I've seen gray and black before and it wasn't bad.

18. Feb 10, 2012 at 5:59 AM
    Aggie97

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    '07 PreRunner
    Totally agree. When I was considering using the VCT a long time ago, I was leaning toward a light grey, and a dark grey combo...I think that would look cool.

19. Feb 10, 2012 at 8:23 AM
    slimsdepot

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner
    Yea I'm looking into like a grey combo or tan combo instead of white and black since my garage is painted like a tan color.

20. Feb 10, 2012 at 8:36 AM
    Lazylegs

Lazylegs Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Southern Maryland, USA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Red Toyota AC Sold
    Tint (35%), a must. Step bars, Bull bar, Bull lights,4x4 light mod, Flip down 10" DVD player, De badged, Color match front emblem, color matched bumpers., black out tails, Cobra cb, Flashlight mod,bed-light mod,
    Concrete Stain. Cabot is the best product on the market for Stains.

Products Discussed in

To Top