1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Gas Gauge Stuck

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by darkhind86, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Jul 23, 2010 at 12:00 AM
    darkhind86

darkhind86 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hey everyone i have a 97 tacoma Base 4 cylinder and the speedometer started acting crazy. So i went to a toyota wrecking yard and the only cluster they had was for a SR5. Hooked it up and the tach, speedometer, and temp were working fine. But the gas gauge doesnt work. It was at half tank when i got the cluster but its been stuck like that for a while but then it dropped below E but if i put a full tank the needle will barely pass the E mark. I took out the cluster and put the old one back in and it was working fine then id put the SR5 cluster and it just stays at E. Can anyone chime me in? thanks

2. Jul 23, 2010 at 5:54 AM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    There are three things that go bad for gauges; wires, sending unit, gauge.
    Since the condition of the SR5 cluster is unknown, it can't be relied upon for a diagnosis.
    Put an ohm meter on the leads from the sending unit. The resistance should change slowly from E to F. Any quick jumps, 0 ohms, or infinite ohm readings mean the sending unit is junk.

3. Jul 23, 2010 at 6:01 AM
    beef TACO no rice

beef TACO no rice Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    07 taco single cab
    Mine seems to be giving me trouble too.. Seems loke the damn thibg us always on E........

Lol

no but seriously.. Not sure from the OP if your gas gauge was working ok on the origional cluster, or if its malfunctioning on both.. But if it is both, a likely option is that the float/sending unit is bad on the fuel pump in the tank.. After so many years, and especially with the ethinol levels in the gas, the metal plate and fork sweeper position sensor thingy go bad..

Good luck

4. Jul 23, 2010 at 8:51 AM
    darkhind86

darkhind86 [OP] New Member

Member:
    i dont think its the sending unit it works fine with the old cluster i think the new one is messed up but ill check the ohm on it anyways

5. Jul 23, 2010 at 10:18 AM
    EnolaGaia

EnolaGaia Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest USA
    Vehicle:
    '01 & '04 S-Runners
    01 SR: Double Cab conversion, S/C, lowered.
    What model year was this 'SR5 cluster' from? Did you make sure it was from the same production generation (1995.5 - 1997)?

To Top