1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

gas has been up... tacoma selling much?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by linkfeeney, Apr 27, 2008.

1. May 1, 2008 at 8:32 AM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    Past ride - 3" OME 885s&Shocks/ TSB 1.5AAL/ AX184 Rims 285 Firestone destination ATs/ 2 Shallow mount P310s in Supercrew Box - Punch 601s, Beefed up Hunter Brush guard, Tint, Fog light mod, AFE Drop in, AC and Fog light mods, scangauge
    Nice :D midwest women are no match for other parts of the country, that's why I married a Texas girl.

I agree 100% All these taxes on gas have gotta go. Its time for us to elect some people to congress that represent the Avg Citizen not Joe Millionaire.

2. May 1, 2008 at 8:33 AM
    eordonez

eordonez Living vicariously through mjp2

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Chihuahua, Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Dcab 4x2 Black Sand Pearl
    OEM All Weather Mats, wheel locks, Toyota Silver Tube steps.....
    Have you been in Mexico?

3. May 1, 2008 at 8:41 AM
    Roland

Roland My other ride has sails

Member:
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    06 Impulse Red I4 2WD Access Cab
    UnderCover Tonneau, Bed mat, Bug Deflector, aFe Pro Dry S, Secondary Air Filter removed, Synthetic 5W-30 oil, Scanguage II with blendmount, WeatherTech floorliners, Toyota seat covers, Installed OEM intermittent wipers, TacomaWorld sticker, Defrost without AC mod, Hidden Hitch
    Roland's home brew is.... At home.

Unfortunately I'm at work which sucks because after reading the death spiral this thread has become I could use a glass of Barkshack Ginger Mead :cool:

4. May 1, 2008 at 8:43 AM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    Past ride - 3" OME 885s&Shocks/ TSB 1.5AAL/ AX184 Rims 285 Firestone destination ATs/ 2 Shallow mount P310s in Supercrew Box - Punch 601s, Beefed up Hunter Brush guard, Tint, Fog light mod, AFE Drop in, AC and Fog light mods, scangauge
    Not recently, has it really changed in the last couple years? What is the cost of a gal of gas?

5. May 1, 2008 at 8:45 AM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
  6. May 1, 2008 at 9:10 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    really.........

pic17150.jpg

7. May 1, 2008 at 10:32 AM
    Burns

Burns Excellent Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB Off-Road
    Bilstein 5100's @ 2.0", Wheelers 1.5" AAL, 265/75/16 Firestone Destination AT2's

ND that is f'n great!

8. May 1, 2008 at 10:40 AM
    Pootz

Pootz Active Member

Member:
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    2008 Access Cab V6 4X4
    Not that I'm from the US but we've got the same problem in Canada with taxes on fuel. However, I'll ask you this...

If it comes down to supply and demand, prices will likely end up at the same point anyway. If that is true, would you rather have the money go to your government where there is at least some small chance that it will go back into society or would you rather have it in the pockets of the oil company CEOs and spread the gap between the rich and poor even further?

9. May 1, 2008 at 11:27 AM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    Biggest thing to do is shop around and educate yourself. If you are a go-getter, try fightingchance.com. If you want no-hassle and little involvement, try going to a few credit unions and visiting the auto brokers. I got mine for about $550 under invoice from a combination of shopping around and talking to my auto broker.

10. May 1, 2008 at 1:04 PM
    linkfeeney

linkfeeney [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    link the stink!
    Sewell, NJ Eh!
    Vehicle:
    09 Doublecab TRD Off-Road! Magnetic Grey!
    how about this everyone?!! Drop one big bomb to those sorry bastards and we inherit the world uh? I think that sounds great to me.... and my tacoma is going to be bad ass!! or the FJ crusier!!

11. May 1, 2008 at 1:21 PM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    In my area a dealer could sell a Taco with piss stains all over the front seat for over KBB. Its ridiculous the amount of demand for them around here. The same goes for Jeep Wranglers. They just don't lose their value.

12. May 1, 2008 at 2:25 PM
    HardCase

HardCase Winter is coming.

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Kalispell, Montana
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma (Inferno) TRDOR 4x4 DCLB
    The local Toyota dealership here (the only one in 120 miles) has a buttload of Tundras, and just a few Tacos. The Tacos, especially the more inexpensive iterations, sell as quickly as they can get them in. Same for the Prius and Yaris, but that's another subject, although certainly related to high gas prices in a very big way.

13. May 1, 2008 at 2:33 PM
    91r100gs

91r100gs Understand the Voice Within

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Kansas City area
    Vehicle:
    '08 Impluse Red SR5 I-4
    Factory bed mat, TacomaWorld.com sticker, EGR In-Channel Vent Visors, AFE ProDryS drop in air filter
    Toyota reported today that April sales down 5%. Tundra and FJ Cruisers were the biggest loser. Somewhere recently I read that Tacoma sales were down 20% for 2008compared to 2007. I might have been halucinating. :confused:

14. May 1, 2008 at 6:56 PM
    Buzz

Buzz Active Member

Member:
    For most goods, supply & demand would determine the price.

Gas is an unusual product. In economics, the "price elasticity of demand" would be called inelastic. That means that demand for the product does not decline proportionally when there is an increase in price.

People can reduce their gasoline consumption to a certain extent in the short term. Maybe be a little more efficient by combining errands. Take fewer driving trips. However, they still have to get to work and do basic things. A large percentage of US workers don't have a viable public transportation option.

I don't think a temporary tax relief on gas taxes would accomplish anything. It would save consumers a few bucks, but it would not address any of the underlying issues.

15. May 1, 2008 at 7:11 PM
    Buzz

Buzz Active Member

Member:
    Tundra sales are actually up. FJ Cruiser and the 4Runner are both way off compared to last year.

Tacoma sales are down about 9.4% for the year compared to the same period in 2007.

Here is their press release with all the figures:
    http://pressroom.toyota.com/Releases/View?id=TYT2008050139338

16. May 2, 2008 at 4:35 AM
    linkfeeney

linkfeeney [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    link the stink!
    Sewell, NJ Eh!
    Vehicle:
    09 Doublecab TRD Off-Road! Magnetic Grey!
    hey buzz
    how did u find this website with this figure? that's freaking awesome!

Man, I wish I was making $60K then I would be ok. People in other states cost of living is still cheap! But NJ is killing me... they are taking so much money on my pay check on tax. *sigh*
    I love NJ, but I hate the politicals not cutting taxes and spend spend spend!!!
    Our last 3 governors suck ass.... I think they should bankkrutpy the state so f all the state workers!

17. May 2, 2008 at 8:06 AM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    There down -10.3% per the report..

18. May 2, 2008 at 8:54 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    i agree about teh tax relief. it will be nice for the few months that it is in place but its not gonna solve anything. I'm on the fence about how i feel about the oil companies. we live in a capitalist society, which i am all for. if i wanted everything to be equal i would move to china. i have no problem with the majority of the countries money being controlled by only 1% of the population, they deserve it. they either got there by working hard or being smart and crafty. i hate when people who earned their fortune are punished for being rich. But oil companies are a little bit different. Gas is not a luxury item, everybody needs it. i understand that oil per barrel is getting expensive but it still should not be $4 per gallon. oil companies are posting all time record profits. there is a fine line between capitalism and war time price gouging. So like i said, i have no issue with someone exploiting supply and demand but i dont know how i feel about the gas situation.

The tundra is probably posting record sales cause they are almost giving htem away. my buddy got one fully loaded for $31k, the only thing it doesn't have is 4 wheel drive. i only paid a few thousand less for half the truck. Tundras are dirt cheap right now

19. May 2, 2008 at 9:13 AM
    Buzz

Buzz Active Member

Member:
    The Daily Sales Rate is down 10.3%. 9.4% is the absolute volume change on year to date sales.

They numbers are a little different because there was one more selling day in the Jan-Apr period this year versus last year.

20. May 2, 2008 at 9:45 AM
    Buzz

Buzz Active Member

Member:
    I know it seems that way, but look at the relationship between the price of oil and the price of gas.

In 2000-2003, oil was in the range of $30 per barrel and gas selling for about $1.50. Now oil is in the $120 per barrel range, which is 4x what it was in 2000-2003 period. If gas matched the increase in oil price, it would be $6.00 per gallon.

Just last year, oil was about $60 per barrel and gas was ~$2.50 per gallon. Oil prices have doubled in the last year, so based on that increase, gas prices would be around $5.00 per gallon.

Scary, huh?

Products Discussed in

To Top