1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

gas is going up again...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by linkfeeney, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Jan 13, 2011 at 3:10 PM
    novataco

novataco Well-Known Member

Member:
    NOLA
    Vehicle:
    06 Sport V6 auto
    Aries bull bar, Lund grill screen, blackened h/l, Weathertech plastic all over, Access LE tonneau, window tint, tube steps, DF-Toy aux adapter, cig plug always on, console vault, hitch step, 1700 watt in-cab inverter and dual battery (in-progress), Delta bike hitch mounts
    I think someone stole gas from my truck twice in the past month. The first time I filled up, and a couple days later, after only running a couple errands, I was at 3/4 tank. I was scratching my head trying to remember exactly when I had filled the tank and was sure it was two days before on my way home from downtown. I tried to remember when I used the truck in that time that would have consumed the gas, and my brain came up empty again, so I forgot about it.

I filled my talk up the other day, and intentionally reset both trip meters before driving away from the pump. I looked at the gas gauge this morning at the start of my trip to Baton Rouge. Both trip meters showed 67 miles, and the tank was half empty, meaning once again 1/4 tank was unaccounted for.

I am getting a car alarm installed tomorrow so I will look into any option to wire the gas tank cover or some aftermarket electric lock for the cover. Otherwise, I'll get a locking gas cap (which is a PITA). The odd thing is, I almost always park on the right side of my one-way street, so someone would have to stand in the street and be very obvious, and siphoning gas is a slow process. Now I am thinking I might be getting hit when I occasionally park on the left side where there is tree cover and a gas thief could take their time in the shadows. An approximate quarter tank is two full gas cans. I would love to catch the douche who is doing this.

Wondering how common this is, as it is pretty easy to do, and the gas prices are climbing. Now I am going to ask my neighbors, but I may be one of the few who doesn't have an electric gas lid or a locking gas cap, so they might just be helping themselves to mine.

Anyone else have this problem?

2. Jan 13, 2011 at 4:55 PM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog

:eek::eek::eek::eek: Holy moly that's expensive.

3. Jan 14, 2011 at 3:15 AM
    linkfeeney

linkfeeney [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    link the stink!
    Sewell, NJ Eh!
    Vehicle:
    09 Doublecab TRD Off-Road! Magnetic Grey!
    i thought alaska has shit loads of oil that it would be like iran and iraq... $.20 cents per gallon!

4. Jan 14, 2011 at 6:15 AM
    ycart1201

ycart1201 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2016 DC TRD Sport 4x4 - My build is underway
    Current Project: 2016 DC TRD Sport 4x4
    ^^^forget the prius... at this price I'll be walking. lol

Nathan
    ycart1201

5. Jan 14, 2011 at 7:00 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    Forget walking time for Hino Diesel Veggie swap. Yes its going to smell like french fries but beats walking:laugh:

6. Jan 14, 2011 at 8:46 AM
    Kingfrog

Kingfrog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Rugged Trail Edition
    Undercover,Pop n Lock, Hardwired GPS, Garage door opener , Scanguage II, wireless back up camera, X994 Basslink, ...Prefer stock and non invasive functional mods
    I agree with this..$5 a gallon is next. The way to offset the cost is buy some fuel stocks before of doing a whole lot of mods. I started buying Conoco and a few others right after the Spill when they all crashed. It will make up up for fuel increases.
    RIG has almost doubled.

"If ya can't beat em, join em" has never been more fun...

7. Jan 14, 2011 at 8:49 AM
    twfsa

twfsa Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Omaha Ne
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD 4X4
    881 Front coils, Bilstien 5100's all the way front set to "0" Icon Dynamic's mini leafs in rear, stock tires.
    Obama needs to get off his ass and lean on the Saudi's, with enough presure he could persuade them to lower the price.

8. Jan 14, 2011 at 8:49 AM
    Kingfrog

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Undercover,Pop n Lock, Hardwired GPS, Garage door opener , Scanguage II, wireless back up camera, X994 Basslink, ...Prefer stock and non invasive functional mods
    People in Alaska get money from the State Permanent Fund which is a huge investment of oil revenues in a variety of stocks and bonds.Interst from that fund pays each resident $1000-$2000 a year PLUS there is no income or sales tax....

I would not mind $6 gas so much with those benefits.

9. Jan 14, 2011 at 8:55 AM
    Kingfrog

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Wrong President for lower fuel prices.....LOL He is of the party of the Global Warming set and "save the whales" They believe HIGHER fuel prices will result in less driving, more buying of GoCart cars and plug-ins (as if the electrical grid doesn't pollute)

The ONLY thing that will reduce driving and create a market for "Smart" cars in America is $5 gas. I drive about 14 miles a day RT to work whether on my bike or truck . Most of the year on the bike. That's why I really don't care about MPG. 6k a year is a lot of miles for me on any vehicle nowadays.

If I was driving 20 miles or more or idling for hours (in the case of those who live in LA) for hours, i would likely not be driving anything that gets less than 25MPG city.

10. Jan 14, 2011 at 9:02 AM
    Redgrom

Redgrom http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-builds/29

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    san clemente
    Vehicle:
    4x4 taco and 96 ford bronco
    ATO front skid (need more but icon's might fail if I hang anything else from my truck) All-Pro front bumper thanks to a good deal here and a pesky encounter with a rock or 20, total chaos uppers.
    Correct me if I am wrong but is gas not cheeper now than it was the last few years under the oil man? Not sure if you can really blame the president on this one.

http://www.eia.doe.gov/petroleum/data_publications/wrgp/mogas_chart.gif

11. Jan 14, 2011 at 9:03 AM
    ink junky

ink junky I love tacos too!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    TACO LOVER
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 trd off road DC,
    Aero turbine 2525, Snorkel, AFE pro dry drop in filter, BFG 33s, spydertraxwheel spacers :/. Debadged, rebadged black, TW sticker :D, bed lights, rod holders, OEM roof rack, Complete OME lift, bed lined fenders. Armor Tech Off road wrap around HC rear bumper w/ tire carrier swing out. Relentless front aluminum bumper. Le Devil Horns (_)
    shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

12. Jan 14, 2011 at 4:58 PM
    AlaskaTacoma

AlaskaTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Tempe
    Vehicle:
    TRD The Good Stuff
    6000K HIDs w/Fogs Smoked Tail lights Window Tint Dual Exhaust Sockmonkey Decal's Billet Grille Wet Okole Seat Covers Tacomaworld.com Sticker :) Painted Engine Cover Ultragauge WeatherTech Floor Mats
    Haha yeah its real, I had to go out in the bush for my summer job and the gas there was that much. But here in Anchorage its about $3.41

13. Jan 14, 2011 at 5:02 PM
    shawnd2

shawnd2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 TRD Offroad
    At $5 a gallon, you may as well live in Canada.

Shawn

14. Jan 14, 2011 at 5:03 PM
    Pusher52

Pusher52 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pusher
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport 4x4
    OPEC just met again, those dirty greedy bastards. The reason in the latest price hike (supposedly) is due to a very cold winter in Eurasia, thus increasing demand. While some ministers are talking about $5 a gallon, others such as Qatar's says he doesn't think it will go that high, because at a certain point, it will start hurting the global economy. There is merit to that argument, let's just hope he is right!

Drill baby drill!

15. Jan 15, 2011 at 4:32 AM
    linkfeeney

linkfeeney [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    link the stink!
    Sewell, NJ Eh!
    Vehicle:
    09 Doublecab TRD Off-Road! Magnetic Grey!
    i can't believe the canadians are paying over $5 a gallon on their gas now!!
    also, their they have a heavier income than we do cause of free health care.

man, I dont know what i'll do if gas was like $5 in the US side. I guess my life wouldn't be fun anymore driving a greener automobile.

16. Jan 15, 2011 at 5:36 AM
    shawnd2

shawnd2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 TRD Offroad
    Free health care is great. I enjoy waiting 10 weeks to see my doctor or almost 6 months for a MRI when I hurt my knee.
    I think the idea is if they make you wait long enough you'll give up and not go, thus it will be free.

As much as I don't blame you guys for complaining about the price of gas, really the only other people that will sympathize are other Americans, as you have some of the cheapest gas in the world.

Shawn

17. Jan 15, 2011 at 5:49 AM
    1bad10tacoma

1bad10tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Brewer Maine
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCLB Sport
    tonneau,tailgate lock, OEM cruise, Int. wiper, , mud flap mod,weatertech's,fj rims
    Just went up 5cnts its $3.18 here in Maine.

18. Jan 15, 2011 at 6:24 AM
    ink junky

ink junky I love tacos too!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    TACO LOVER
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 trd off road DC,
    Aero turbine 2525, Snorkel, AFE pro dry drop in filter, BFG 33s, spydertraxwheel spacers :/. Debadged, rebadged black, TW sticker :D, bed lights, rod holders, OEM roof rack, Complete OME lift, bed lined fenders. Armor Tech Off road wrap around HC rear bumper w/ tire carrier swing out. Relentless front aluminum bumper. Le Devil Horns (_)
    $2.87 here in Harlingen, TX.

19. Jan 15, 2011 at 6:33 AM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.

... ^^^ ... Grasshopper ... you have much wisdom ... :D

IMO ... Big business owns most of the politicians (both parties) that run this country ... and they like to keep both political parties fighting while they loot the treasury.

20. Jan 15, 2011 at 6:51 AM
    Kingfrog

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I don't believe people were not paying mortgages to buy gas...LOL and businesses are a GOOD thing,

It was not until the last two years of Bush that the economy sank. the first six years were glory days. If you made $10K a year you got a house and two cars...no problem...No job and want a house?..No problem....Need a line of credit over what your home is worth?...No problem...

At the end of the day it is individuals who signed on the bottomline for all that debt. No one forces anyone to go into debt for homes cars, boats, toys.......

People are now saving which is a good thing. They will have money in the bank when the jobs come back for those who are skilled in some area and service jobs to support the skilled players who spend on restaurants, vacations, golf outings, movies, on and on....Things will get better. They already are in the business world. So far in my life the only people who have hired me were business people. Those who get Gov jobs are paid with taxes from the private sector. So despite the anger against big business. They hold all the cards, cash and jobs. Without businesses large and small, no one would be employed.
    Everything,....everything people have eat, drink or sleep on generated a profit for someone else...everything. Profit is a good thing..paychecks come from profits. Investment gains come from profits, taxes come from profits..From profits all things come.

Every job dollar one gets in a paycheck or for a service is trickled down from another.

Products Discussed in

To Top