1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Gas Mileage and You

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by ToucanV13, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Oct 22, 2010 at 10:00 PM
    ToucanV13

ToucanV13 [OP] You think I was rollin out here naked?

Member:
    San Diego and Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Infideled out TRD Sport 4X4
    285/70 Hankook AT-M, Window vents, TRD CAI, TRD Cat-back exhaust with WickedFlow can, AFE Throttle Body Spacer, Billy 5100 @ 2.5 and 1" block rear, RBP nerf bars, Halo HIDs, 20% tint up front
    With all the posts about getting better gas mileage and what not, I figured I could give some photographic evidence of what mileage can be obtained especially when people ask whether or not a CAI or exhuast will help out their gas consumption as well as how much wheel size plays a part.

Current mods that could help/affect: TRD cat-back with a 13" WickedFlow max can, URD TCAI, AFE throttle body spacer (guilty of liking the sound I guess :D), and URD Maf Cal (tuned for TRD CAI but I'm waiting on headers to retune although I'm sure it plays a minor role currently)

I'll be using the egg shell mod. All speeds are kept between 65-70mph with easy acceleration and trying to keep the RPMs nice and low. So far I've found with all the hills I have to go up and down between Escondido and San Diego; I can keep my RPMs at 2,000 without downshifting to make a climb and maintain speed. Also, most of my miles are highway.

For the first recording, I used 87 from Vons (grocery store gas). Currently I just filled up with 89 from Chevron to see if quality as well as grade will yield better results. Finally, I will sell my kidney to buy some 91 as well. So how much can we squeeze with those mods and 285/70/17 Dynapros?

Vons 87 Mileage 313x1.0741=336.1933 divided by 17.542=19.16505mpg
    [​IMG]

Chevron 89 Mileage ???x1.0741=?????? divided by 18.533=?????

2. Oct 23, 2010 at 6:12 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    For better mileage you need to keep speed below 65 so more like 60-65:D

3. Oct 23, 2010 at 9:52 AM
    lasllc

lasllc Wait. . what’s wrong here

Member:
    Southwest RedRocks
    Vehicle:
    13 SuperWhite DCSB Sport TRD
    SnugTop Super Sport, BedRug mat, Redline Tuning hood lifts, LED interior lights, 3D carpet protectors.
    That is certainly true, but I think it is illegal anywhere in SoCal.

4. Oct 23, 2010 at 1:14 PM
    ToucanV13

Member:
    San Diego and Colorado
    Vehicle:
    285/70 Hankook AT-M, Window vents, TRD CAI, TRD Cat-back exhaust with WickedFlow can, AFE Throttle Body Spacer, Billy 5100 @ 2.5 and 1" block rear, RBP nerf bars, Halo HIDs, 20% tint up front
    Yep minimum speed is 65

5. Oct 26, 2010 at 11:29 PM
    ToucanV13

Member:
    San Diego and Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Well here we have the 89
    Chevron 89 Mileage 337.5x1.0741=362.51 divided by 18.533=19.56mpg
    Not a huge difference at all and at 8 bucks more to fill a tank; so far not worth it. Just filled up with the premium so we'll see. Made a trip to Phelan from San Diego so I assume some of the high altitude may have had an impact although speeds and rpms were kept at a constant with the test. Speed did drop a few times to 55 on hill climbs.

[​IMG]

Premium is next! Chevron 91 Mileage ???x1.0741=?????? divided by 18.680=?????

6. Oct 27, 2010 at 7:00 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    Unless you are going to take your mods off and run your milage tests, we still won't know what effect a catback, CAI or wheels/tires have on milage.

Also, I read a white paper by Gadget a while back on the Taco computer and performance mapping. This paper also talked through how it handles the knock sensors and timing. In it, if I recall correctly, he states that the knock sensors are not even used to adjust timing at 3K rpm and below. Below 3K, the timing is set by a percentage of the highest timing set from above 3K run/runs. Above 3K, the sensors are read and timing is adjusted accordingly.

Given your methodology, you might not get any timing adjustment if you keep your rpms at 3K or under all the time. And with no adjustment, might not show a milage gain from any power increase due to timing/premium.

What is still not clear to me from Gadget's paper though, is how the upper timing (3K+) setting is set and saved. If it's learned over some amount of miles, or if it can be forced by making a couple of high acceleration runs.

Products Discussed in

To Top