1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Gas Mileage help!

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by J Tex, May 13, 2010.

1. May 13, 2010 at 11:24 AM
    J Tex

J Tex [OP] Member

Member:
    Houston
    Cabela's bug/hood guard Westen step bars Grom auido ipod adaptor Cabela's truck floor mats
    Hi I am really new to the whole improving gas mileage thing, i basically know nothing about how to improve it and that is why I am posting this thread.I would like to know what works and what does not. Does replacing your exhaust system really help that much, and how about the air intake does that help to? What other things can I replace/upgrade that would help. Are there any mods or tricks that you have found that also help with gas mileage?Basically I guess what I am asking is how do I get the maximum amount of gas mileage out of my 2008 double cab, v6 automatic transmission Tacoma truck?

2. May 13, 2010 at 11:45 AM
    Snake~

Snake~ Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCSB TRD Sport
    Autolumination Yellow fog light bulbs, Dynomax Ultra Flo muffler, AFE Pro Dry S air filter, tailgate security mods, TRD skid plate, DeeZee bed mat, Armor Lid tonneau, OEM roof rack, TRD center caps, Satoshi grille, Sockmonkey tailgate decal
    The best thing you can do to improve MPG is have a light right foot. I added an AFE air filter and Dynomax muffler (the poor man's intake/exhaust) and slightly over inflate my tires and I've noticed a slight improvement, but probably no more than 1MPG. You could get ScanGauge if you're really serious about MPG.

3. May 13, 2010 at 1:48 PM
    LUSETACO

LUSETACO Here for the Taco Pron

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    South Central Pee A
    Vehicle:
    2005 PIMP MOBILE
    Yes
    That about sums it up. Don't bother spending money trying to save money, just go easy on the skinny pedal. The one thing that has helped me is using "pure" gas with no ethanol. It may not be available in your area, but its worth the couple extra cents.

4. May 13, 2010 at 6:40 PM
    MontanaTaco

MontanaTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colter
    Relocated to Albany, NY
    Vehicle:
    14 DCLB Sport
    OME lift
    I have gotten 18.5mpg in town using medium grade fuel. My mpg normal drops on the highway since I live in Montana where I can get away with going 85:)

5. May 13, 2010 at 6:43 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    A light right foot is the most powerful improver of mileage.

The second most powerful is vehicle maintenance being done on time and correctly. This includes tire pressure, balancing, alignment, fluid and filter changes, greasing, and replacing consumables (belts, hoses, tires, etc.) on time.

Do it all as scheduled (or more often) and you will have a happy, reliable vehicle in excellent condition that gives you the best mileage it is capable of, best performance it is capable of, and slowest/lowest depreciation.

6. May 13, 2010 at 7:11 PM
    SlurpeeBlueMetallic

SlurpeeBlueMetallic FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...

Member:
    Since our trucks shut down the injectors when coasting (at the the autos do) that helps tremendously on MPGs. I do the following whenever possible:

- Accelerate moderately but steadily up to speed. No jack rabbit starts but I don't take 2 minutes to get going either. My truck gets 12-15mpg with even light acceleration so I don't want to be too slow about getting to cruising speed
    - I use cruise control whenever going above 40 mpg and on relatively flat ground. Cruise control can be more efficient when on flat ground but any time I hit even moderate hills then I can beat it and get better MPGs driving on my own.
    - When driving on my own up/down hills I'll accelerate slightly going downhill (up to 5mph over the speed limit) and then bleed off some of that speed going up the next hill so as to require less acceleration uphill.
    - When I do need to stop I try to lose at least 25% of my speed by coasting. There's no point accelerating up to a stop sign/light anyway, you just transform the wasted gas into heat when you step on the brakes.
    - Any time I see a 1/8 mile or more of downhill slope I'll coast a bit to let the injectors kick off and essentially get unlimited MPGs
    - I rarely if ever get above 2250 RPMs although this isn't a direct reflection of good mileage. It's easy to only be running at 1700 RPMs and only getting 15mpg if you're accelerating up an slight hill. Still, all other things being equal, lower revs equals lower fuel consumption.

I bought a ScangaugeII about 6 months ago at this point but it hasn't helped me get better mileage... I think I was pushing it for all it was worth before then but having one has helped me confirm the items above. Plus it's a nifty toy and something to pay attention to on my drive to work/home every day. It also helps me refocus on driving conservatively on those days when I'd rather just punch it. With my commute (70% suburban roads, 30% highway) driving faster doesn't get me there any sooner... it just gets me to the next red light quicker. Slowing up a bit makes most of the difference on my drive because about the time I'm thinking about letting off the gas to coast up to a light it turns green and I roll through.

7. May 13, 2010 at 7:37 PM
    MontanaTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Colter
    Relocated to Albany, NY
    Vehicle:
    14 DCLB Sport
    OME lift
    ^You get 12-15mpg:eek:
    Seems like you would get alot more

8. May 14, 2010 at 6:38 AM
    J Tex

J Tex [OP] Member

Member:
    Houston
    Cabela's bug/hood guard Westen step bars Grom auido ipod adaptor Cabela's truck floor mats
    Okay that answers my question thanks everyone for that helpful info

9. May 14, 2010 at 5:43 PM
    SlurpeeBlueMetallic

SlurpeeBlueMetallic FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...

Member:
    12-15 mpg when accelerating. I get ~22mpg overall.

10. May 16, 2010 at 5:04 PM
    MontanaTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Colter
    Relocated to Albany, NY
    Vehicle:
    14 DCLB Sport
    OME lift
    ^oh haha that makes sense

11. May 19, 2010 at 10:17 PM
    BorderTaco

BorderTaco New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Laredo, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 Pre Runner DC SR5 2wd
    Frontier brush Guard Westin Nerf Bars 16" Nitto Terra Grapplers
    I am averaging between 15/18. I have a DC 2007 PreRunner with 265 tires, but the rest of the specs are the same for my 16" tires (Nitto Terra). Everything else is stock. Is this normal?

12. Oct 1, 2011 at 6:01 PM
    rme

rme Well-Known Member

Member:
    Savannah
    Vehicle:
    Green TACOMA
    XM, Panasonic Stereo, Headlights,Electric Ant,Toyota Deluxe Wheels, Rhino Lining, Cargo Rails
    Has anyone ever tried using a Weapon R cai or sun hyper voltage system?

Products Discussed in

To Top