1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Gas mileage

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas' started by trucknrv, Jun 7, 2011.

1. trucknrv

trucknrv [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    western mass.
    Vehicle:
    08 sr5 sport
    snowsport plow with front receiver hitch, access cover, avc ventshades, covercraft seatcovers, apc line of fire tailgate area led lights, husky floor mats, grillcraft grill, k-n filter, hydraulic lift arms for hood, rear backup cam located in front windshield mirror, ipod cable located in glove box, led cup holder lights and rear floor lights, factory black running boards, direct cable from battery for jumper cables, oil plug valve, lockable bed storage areas and prodigy brake control.
    Just took a road trip with my 2008 tacoma sport dbl cab 4wd with the 4.0L engine. I was pulling a motorcycle trailer witha small v-nose. The weight was approx 3000- 3500 lbs. I towed in 4 (didn't use OD) and kept my speed at approx 60 -63 mph. I later checked my mpg and got 12 mpg on the tank. Does this sound correct considering all the info? I would have thought I would have got closer to 14-15 mpg towing this load? I do know that is a lot of headwall of a trailer of this size. The trailer is a single axle 7x10 with a small v-nose. Thank you in advance! :confused:

2. Brunes

Brunes abides. Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Big Easy, USA
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit Upcoming: ATO Gas Tank Skid and Sliders w/ kickout. ATO Shackle Flip Kit. Down the line: Front/Rear ARB Lockers w/ OBA. 4.56 Gears
    You added like 3/4 the weight of the vehicle in trailer and bike...I don't think 12 is too unreasonable. Wind and hills play a factor too....

3. RichB

RichB Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    MA
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD Sport 4X4
    What do you normally get for mileage empty?

4. medic2230

medic2230 Ditch Doctor

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Columbus, Ga
    Vehicle:
    2011 Taco 4x4 DCLB
    20% Tint, OME 3"complete lift with Dakar's, Light Racing UCA's, 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 10 HP TW sticker, Ultraguage, B.A.M.F. Rock Sliders, MedicFab Bed Rack, Relentless front bumper
    I get about the same with my 2.7 5 speed pulling a 6x10 enclosed flat nose. I would have thought that the 4.0 would of gotten better than that too.

5. WV150

WV150 Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Carolina
    Trifecta Tonneau Cover
    All small engines take a bit of a MPG hit when towing,even small V8s in half tons.12 to 13 would be about right.Leaving it out of overdrive probabaly helped you.Last year with my 4.0 I towed a large Uhaul trailer heavy loaded from WV to SC {1600 ft elevation to 700 ft elevation}pushing a light head wind and got 13 MPG keeping it out of overdrive.On the return trip with trailer unloaded with slight wind behind me but that big square front of the trailer catching a head wind running in overdrive I got 12 MPG.I get in low to mid 20s MPG running empty if I keep it under 70 MPH.

6. trucknrv

trucknrv [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    western mass.
    Vehicle:
    08 sr5 sport
    snowsport plow with front receiver hitch, access cover, avc ventshades, covercraft seatcovers, apc line of fire tailgate area led lights, husky floor mats, grillcraft grill, k-n filter, hydraulic lift arms for hood, rear backup cam located in front windshield mirror, ipod cable located in glove box, led cup holder lights and rear floor lights, factory black running boards, direct cable from battery for jumper cables, oil plug valve, lockable bed storage areas and prodigy brake control.
    What do you normally get for mileage empty?
    RichB.....I would normally get low 20's on the highway!

To Top