1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Gas pedal recall with reflash; seems to fix shifting too

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by JKD, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Aug 10, 2010 at 10:01 PM
    JKD

JKD [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I haven't gone out and done an exhaustive test yet, but driving around town since picking my truck up last Friday, it seems that the ECU reflash that they do for the pedal recall fixes the "slow corner" downshifting problem (where it would shift down and then rev really high while accelerating).

2. Aug 11, 2010 at 5:52 AM
    TREY4x4

TREY4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trey
    Dacula, GA
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR 4x4 Double Cab
    Leaf spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's front/back set at 1.75", Pioneer AVIC110-BT head unit, JL 6x9 front and Alpine 6.5 rear, OEM bed mat, Weathertech floor mats, OEM sill protectors, Window tint, N-Fab side steps

When I went to pickup my truck after having the leaf spring TSB done and them cutting my pedal without my permission... They told me that the TSB reflash didn't apply to my truck. I told them when I dropped it off what it was doing (I had this exact problem with shifting) and complained that I needed the ECU reflashed per the TSB. The tech informed me it has the latest software update. I kept telling them how it was shifting and that it's not normal.

That's when they told me about the reflash that was done along with the pedal being cut. I simply thought to myself, I'll just drive it and see what it does and come back and talk with a manager if I have to.

Well, guess what... It shifts perfect now. WTF? Did just reflashing the ECU with the recall update recalibrate the computer? Was there additional updates included that their not letting us know about? I have no idea, but the problem is gone without explanation.

3. Aug 11, 2010 at 10:34 AM
    JKD

JKD [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I would think that they have simply fixed both issues in the current software revision, and if you fix one you fix both.

That's kind of the way the ECU flashing works; it's like upgrading from Vista to Windows 7, you don't just upgrade one component, you do the whole thing.

4. Aug 11, 2010 at 11:09 AM
    TacoAlaMode

TacoAlaMode Mr. Midlife Crisis

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    10 DC LB MG 4X4 TRD Sport
    Icon Ext Coilover, Demello RockCrusher Sliders, Full tint 360', WeatherTech Floor liners and rainguards, Debadged, In Cabin 110 with 400w anytime, Diff breather mod, leaf squeak mod,
    Question about the ECU flash, does it implement the brake override on the throttle?

I bought my 10 to be able to do some offroading with it and there are times when you want to be able to apply power while holding some brake.

5. Aug 11, 2010 at 11:15 AM
    InfidelTaco

InfidelTaco No better friend,No worse enemy...

Member:
    First Name:
    G
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner
    AFE, Fox, Built Rights, Moog, SpiderTrax, Icon progressive, Grabbers
    Do they do the reflash for manuals? I got a notice and cant decide whether to get it done.

6. Aug 11, 2010 at 11:17 AM
    rackatak

rackatak Well-Known Member

Member:
    Does anyone know the TSB number or where I can find a copy of it to bring in when I get my oil change done next week? They have been hounding me about my gas pedal and I'm about to just give in so they quit bothering me about it.

7. Aug 11, 2010 at 11:18 AM
    TacoAlaMode

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    Icon Ext Coilover, Demello RockCrusher Sliders, Full tint 360', WeatherTech Floor liners and rainguards, Debadged, In Cabin 110 with 400w anytime, Diff breather mod, leaf squeak mod,
    Well, my truck is at the dealership right now getting the first oil change and I asked them to check the rear spring TSB and they brought up the gas pedal recall. I have already called them and told them they could cut the pedal but not reflash the ECU until I find out more information. I'll talk to the service manager when I go back to pick it up to see if he has any extra information.

You know what they say when you ass'u'me.

8. Aug 11, 2010 at 11:22 AM
    MattN03

MattN03 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Bluegrass State
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    20% window tint, beep mod, hardwired V1, TSB springs, AVS Bugshield-21803, USA Spec PA15, OEM Tacoma scuff plates, Weathertech mats, Truxedo LoPro, TRD skid, GY Duratrac's 265/75/16 C Range, locker mod (switch method)
    subscribing...

9. Aug 11, 2010 at 11:27 AM
    619Tacoma

619Tacoma Baja bound

Member:
    First Name:
    Call me Rocco
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5, Sport, 4dr
    - Billstein 5100's all around with OME 885 coil springs. - K&N Air Filter - HID Headlights & Fogs - Kenwood Stereo & Infinity Speakers - CB Radio, - Fog On Anytime mod - Anti Tailgate theft mod. More comming...
    Really?

I got the gas pedal notice in the mail last week and wasn't planning on taking my truck in to get it done... BUT now that I hear that it also fixed that annoying "slow corner" shifting issue (as you described it), I might have to re-consider it. As far as the gas pedal trimming goes, how much and what exactly do they trim? I've never had any issues with my gas pedal so I really don't want them to change anything... Any pictures of the pedal now that they trimmed it?

10. Aug 11, 2010 at 11:38 AM
    MattN03

MattN03 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Bluegrass State
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    20% window tint, beep mod, hardwired V1, TSB springs, AVS Bugshield-21803, USA Spec PA15, OEM Tacoma scuff plates, Weathertech mats, Truxedo LoPro, TRD skid, GY Duratrac's 265/75/16 C Range, locker mod (switch method)
    That is my issue too-the gas pedal is no where near my Weathertech mats, so I don't really want them trimming it. However, occasionally, mine will do some funky down shift when slowing down and rev up quite a bit. It would be nice to have this condition improved or eliminated.

11. Aug 11, 2010 at 11:46 AM
    TacoAlaMode

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    I never got the recall notice. That sounds like the exact information I was needing. I appreciate it.

12. Aug 11, 2010 at 12:23 PM
    TREY4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Trey
    Dacula, GA
    Vehicle:
    Leaf spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's front/back set at 1.75", Pioneer AVIC110-BT head unit, JL 6x9 front and Alpine 6.5 rear, OEM bed mat, Weathertech floor mats, OEM sill protectors, Window tint, N-Fab side steps

You may be right, but the normal ECM TSB is NOT specified for my truck.

If it wasn't for the pedal recall, my ECM would NOT be updated and I would still have the transmission lagging issue.

13. Aug 11, 2010 at 12:26 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns Lord of War

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off Road Full-Auto
    All-Pro Bumper, CBI Sliders, Icon Coilovers, BudBuilt Skids, aFe Intake, Icon VS Rear Shocks, Timbren Bumpstops, All-Pro UCAs, JDM Steering Wheel, ViAir Compressor, Klearz LED 3rd Brake Light, Pop-N-Lock Tailgate Handle, Husky Front Flaps
    From a document posted here some time ago, the brake override kicks in only if the throttle was applied first. This is to facilitate starting on a hill, heel-and-toe on the track, etc.

My dealer had sample pre- and post-rework pedals at the service counter. They trim back the pedal face up to the first rib.

14. Aug 11, 2010 at 12:30 PM
    Lunercrab

Lunercrab AKA "06tacosport"

Member:
    First Name:
    Beth
    Lehigh Valley area, PA
    Vehicle:
    2010 timberland mica dcab sport
    My truck is there right now getting the recall done. I was in hopes that the flash would fix my shifting problem. That's the only reason I bothered doing the recall in the first place. They refused to do the tranny flash months ago so I'm hoping this will work. I'll let u guys know when I pick it up.

15. Aug 11, 2010 at 1:32 PM
    TREY4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Trey
    Dacula, GA
    Vehicle:
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that IT WILL fix the problem. ;)

16. Aug 11, 2010 at 1:37 PM
    619Tacoma

619Tacoma Baja bound

Member:
    First Name:
    Call me Rocco
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5, Sport, 4dr
    - Billstein 5100's all around with OME 885 coil springs. - K&N Air Filter - HID Headlights & Fogs - Kenwood Stereo & Infinity Speakers - CB Radio, - Fog On Anytime mod - Anti Tailgate theft mod. More comming...
    let us know if it does!!! por favor!

17. Aug 11, 2010 at 1:41 PM
    jammdogg

jammdogg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Hillsboro, OR
    Vehicle:
    13 Spruce Mica DCLB
    6" ProComp lift on 35 MT's. ARB Bumper.
    I had my 07 in last week. What I was told was that the override will not kick in unless you are going 30MPH, and you mash on the brakes. This will disable the throttle.

For the gas pedal, I was told it was 15mm that they trim. They mentioned the ECU Flash, bit nothing about the shifting issue. I did not bring it up to them, as they seem to not like to perform TSB's unless you really hound them to do so. I am glad to hear that the reflash fixes the shifting issue.

James

18. Aug 11, 2010 at 2:12 PM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR
    back to bone stock.
    i have an appointment set for next monday. my wife is taking the truck for me. i could care less what they do to the pedal. i rarely see it, and the bottoms of my feet arent that particular. i suspect i hardly notice the diff.

just in case..in the long shot, something does happen..i want to reserve the options i have. i dont want to give them the chance to say..i turned down anything.

the reflash is cool.

19. Aug 11, 2010 at 5:07 PM
    Lunercrab

Lunercrab AKA "06tacosport"

Member:
    First Name:
    Beth
    Lehigh Valley area, PA
    Vehicle:
    2010 timberland mica dcab sport
    Ok so I picked up my truck. I didn't get to drive it much but so far so good. I notice it doesn't feel like I'm driving in neutral anymore for a few seconds like it used to. I can tell cause my exhaust is alot quieter. I'm driving a 1300 mile trip in a two days so I'll really get to test it out. As far as the pedal cut it looks pretty smooth to me. I've seen a few pics of others that looked alittle "butchered" but I'm ok with how mine turned out. I just hope it's not too short and gets caught on my weather techs
    [​IMG]

20. Aug 11, 2010 at 5:20 PM
    Crom

Crom Outside...

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Overland Build
    Millions
    There is a TSB for the 2009 and 2010 automatic transmission shift issue. But not for earlier models. If this 90L campaign does indeed modify your tranmission shift points then it would be news here.

Here is a diagram flow chart of how the new logic works for the brake override system.

ToyotaBrakeOverideSystem.pdf

I got it done on my 2009 and I have nothing bad to say about it.

To Top