1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Gas Tank Damage

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Yoytoda, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Dec 16, 2009 at 8:15 PM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda [OP] The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock
    I inspect my truck before and after everytime i go offroading to keep tabs on any damage to figure out how and when it happens. Its a good habit for any offroader.

So, recently we took a run to Holy Jim. When i was going through a nasty puddle i decided to go up and over an obstacle on the side of the puddle. It was pretty steep and sketchy but i made it. I dragged belly a little but no bad at all.

When i got home i checked out the under side of the truck and i notice a couple tiny rocks wedged in between the gas tank and the gas tank strap. Vibration over time can cause those rocks to slowly wear through the plastic and potentially cause a leak.

I didnt take any pics (sorry didnt think about it):rolleyes:. I put a jackstand under the front of the tank and jacked up on the tank to remove pressure off the strap and then took the front strap loose. There were about a dozen sharp rocks the size of BBs wedged in there. I put a bead of weather proof silicon II to prevent rocks from getting wedged in there.

Just an FYI to prevent any future damage for you guys. Time to add gas tank skid to the mod list. My list is larger than my wallet :mad:

2. Dec 16, 2009 at 8:41 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    That's a good heads up, tbh I'd not have thought about that. Rocks breaking through the tank sure... but getting wedged in the straps would have never entered my mind.... Thanks!

3. Dec 16, 2009 at 8:43 PM
    surfsupl

surfsupl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    I DONT CARE IF IT'S A RE-POST
    Rear Diff Breather~ 5100's ~Fog Light Anytime~Tint~TRD Seat Covers~Weather Tech's~Pioneer H.U.~Lift~Eibach Springs~LED's......blah...blah...blah
    Great info...................i think I read on this site somewhere that a member actually got a pinhole leak on his gas tank............

To Top