1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Gas with Ethanol Vs. Gas without Ethanol

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas' started by stucksucksnayota, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Mar 2, 2009 at 12:55 PM
    stucksucksnayota

stucksucksnayota [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Barry
    Fort Smith, Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    14 Taco 4x4 TRD Sport DCSB
    OEM roof rack, Shorty antenna (eBay), soft tonneau cover, K&N drop in air filter, bed mat, interior LED lights, 5100's, MT tires to come soon!!!
    This is probably a useless thread but I have been trying to figure this out. I have owned my Tacoma for about 3 years now and have always averaged 15-17 mpg. I have never gotten over 17mpg and usually unless im driving very easy i don't get 17 mpg. But the other day I had just cleaned my air filter and put it back in and i usually fill up at a gas station that has 10% ethanol. But that day I filled up at an older station, they had a sign out front that said no ethanol plus the gas we cheaper so i filled up there. With this tank i averaged 17.99 mpg. The only thing that threw me was that i guess i didn't lock my air box lid down because when I went to change my oil it was open. So after saying all that my question is do you get better gas mileage with ethanol free gas or was it because i had less restriction for my air flow?

Im leaning towards better gas mileage with the ethanol free gas because i filled up at the same station this weekend before we went 4wheeling and my gas mileage was noticeable better hauling the trailer then it usually is.

2. Mar 2, 2009 at 12:58 PM
    DanGer

DanGer Avatar approved by 98tacomav6

Member:
    Northern Virginia & Blacksburg
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    White Head Light mod, White shorty antennae, Doug Thorley Long Tube headers, AFE Drop in air filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed,
    I started a thread a while back to discuss ethanol. I personally do not like it and fill up with premium. Basically the premium doesn't have ethanol and equates to better mileage, but the same price per gallon. I hope that made sense.

3. Mar 2, 2009 at 1:05 PM
    DanGer

DanGer Avatar approved by 98tacomav6

Member:
    Northern Virginia & Blacksburg
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    White Head Light mod, White shorty antennae, Doug Thorley Long Tube headers, AFE Drop in air filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed,
  4. Mar 2, 2009 at 1:12 PM
    Oh_Six_Taco_4x4

Oh_Six_Taco_4x4 Professional High Fiver

Member:
    Orange Park, FL
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4x4
    OEM skid plate. 3" Toytec lift with AAL. Trail Gear Rock Sliders Rechargable Maglite
    I like how companies put 10% Ethanol in the gas and then increased the price. :confused: Let me get this straight, your giving me an inferior product and charging me more? Oh, okay Here.

Ethanol gets less milage per gallon. (but your saving the world)

5. Mar 2, 2009 at 1:14 PM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 :POOPCORN: Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5, 88 SR5 PU, 98 TRD OR (CRUSHED)
    5100's all on fours
    Ethanol isn't as powerfull(for lack of a better term) as gas. I think it is only 75% as explosive as gas. So I am inclined to believe that your improvement in mpg is because of the ethanol free gas.

6. Mar 2, 2009 at 1:15 PM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 :POOPCORN: Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5, 88 SR5 PU, 98 TRD OR (CRUSHED)
    5100's all on fours

Yeah, the cost increase comes from production and shipment.

To Top