1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Gauging Interest: 8" Tacoma Component Kit

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by ItalynStylion, Apr 7, 2011.

?

What do you think?

Poll closed May 7, 2011.
  1. Sounds good, sign me up!

51 vote(s)
    66.2%
  2. I'd even run this with a sub too for uber bass...like a boss!

20 vote(s)
    26.0%
  3. Nahhh, I'm fine with stock...

6 vote(s)
    7.8%
  1. Apr 25, 2011 at 3:48 PM
    achirdo

achirdo I Weld!

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    North DFW
    Vehicle:
    06 dodge ram 3500 5.9 cummins
    any idea on a estimated cost? looking for a ballpark

2. Apr 25, 2011 at 3:52 PM
    willimatic

willimatic Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Rancho Murieta/Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma AC 4x4 Sport
    Looking forward to this as well. Wish it was now but also glad cause I just spent a bunch on my suspension. Time to start saving for another cool mod

3. Apr 25, 2011 at 4:46 PM
    novanut21

novanut21 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    North Central,WV
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD SPORT
    AFE CAI, Magnaflow cat-back, TRD S/C, TRD Quickshifter, URD Fuel Pump Kit, Wet Okoles Front&Rear, WeatherTech Mats, Sockmonkey Decals, Satoshi grille, JBA "shorty" headers, URD Y-Pipe, TTC Oil Catch Can, Lotek Dual Apillar gauge pod w/ Autometer Phantom II AFR & Vac/Boost, URD Pulley, HID Retrofit.
    Subscribed.......I told myself I want going to upgrade my stock system. I may have to retract that statement after reading this thread. :rolleyes:

4. Apr 25, 2011 at 5:32 PM
    mattg43

mattg43 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner SR5 DC
    SwingCase, driver side. PVC Bike rack. Aftermarket stereo.
    COST - I cannot speak for Steven, I am not involved in his business, Stereo Clarity, nor his purchasing power.

I do know we have talked about an effective price range to try to meet. I posted about it earlier in the thread to try to help him out, asking for people to give ideas on what they think a reasonable price is, but not a single person responded.

Of course, driver selection, and crossover design will play a huge factor in what costs will be, but seriously...

IF you guys are interested, an idea of what you (the consumer) thinks is a fair price would be a great help.

5. Apr 25, 2011 at 5:42 PM
    CCFBERG

CCFBERG The Shocker and Me Tall Dark TACO

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    LRAFB Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD 4x4 SR5 DBL cab
    Kenwood 516 DD head unit, Kenwood 12" sub, Kenwood 1800W amp, Brighter reverse light mod, 2nd Air filter ripped out, Tailgate anti-theft. Fog light anytime. Rearview mirror display in HU mod. JBA shorty headers & Catback. K&N Filter. Smittybilt Nerf Steps. Smittybilt M1 Grille. Pro Comp stage II, 6" Lift. 12V Bed PWR. LED interior lighting
    You said Phase alignment. Sounds extreamly complicated! Glad your doing the leg work!:D I might be in. Interested to see where this goes. All that is left to do in the sound department in my rig is change out the door speakers so Ill be watching to see what comes of this.

6. Apr 25, 2011 at 5:43 PM
    mattg43

mattg43 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner SR5 DC
    SwingCase, driver side. PVC Bike rack. Aftermarket stereo.
    If he and I think "$500 is a great price for superior drivers, I would pay that!" because we dont mind spending that much, but 90% of you think "$500 is a stupid amount of money for speakers. I only would pay $XXX for a setup like this", then he will spend a whole bunch of time working with drivers and crossovers that would cost too much for anyone here.

This is not the best way to do market research, but then, Stereo Clarity is not a big operation with a research budget. Steven is already out the cost of several drivers we are testing, and doesnt even know what people think is a fair price.

For me - the ability to run a 2 channel amp (possibly no amp at all) and get deep solid bass that does not leave me wanting for a sub is pretty valuable.
    Example - I spend $200 on mids, $200 on tweets, $150 on a sub, $400 on a 5 channel amp, and $750 on a processor to run active with my double DIN head unit - I am getting started at $1750, and still have to try out drivers, and spend hours tuning. So to me, $500 bucks to avoid all that is a bargain. Conversely, I could go to Car Toys and give them $1K for some Focal speakers, $750 for a 5 channel JL amp, $600 for a JL Stealth Box, and $1500 for the install, and still end up sounding worse than my DIY install, and without the sub, sounding worse than this 8" componenet set.

again, the $500 would seem VERY reasonable.

Take my buddy in a tacoma. To him, $300 bucks would be a huge stretch of a budget, cause his wife wont let him spend any money.

7. Apr 25, 2011 at 6:31 PM
    Gamecock Taco

Gamecock Taco Member

Member:
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    Sport 4x4 Double Cab
    Weather Tech Liners, Fog Lamps on w/o HL on
    Mine is a Double Cab, and with the wifey, my 10 month old daughter and a couple of teenagers that I get every other weekend, I DONT really have room for a sub or amp or anything that is gonna take any room out of the cabin. Interested because they are supost to fit on doors.:)

8. Apr 26, 2011 at 5:38 AM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion [OP] Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    Agreed, this would help out a ton so I'm not out buying drivers for testing that could never make a kit within the ideal price range.

9. Apr 26, 2011 at 6:25 AM
    RI Tacoma

RI Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Phx sometime soon
    Vehicle:
    2011 Sport DCLB
    OME 885's, Derped FJ TRD Wheels, Hankook Dynapro's ATM 265/75/16's, Retro's, WeatherTech Liners, Fog Light Mod, Bak Flip F-1, N-Fab Steps, 20% Tint, complete stereo, heated mirrors, Katzkin seats!!
    That's a tough questions since I think everyone would have a different ideal price range. For me, it would be in the $200-300 range, but I am also not a audio freak, instead just looking for something better than stock.

10. Apr 26, 2011 at 8:40 AM
    achirdo

achirdo I Weld!

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    North DFW
    Vehicle:
    I think $200-400 would make alot of people jump on this

11. Apr 26, 2011 at 8:25 PM
    PatSully

PatSully Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    07 Access Cab TRD O/R
    Rear AAL, Extra D-Rings

having purchased and installed a few "systems" over the years, i cannot agree with you more.

in cars there was always a trunk to easily place a sub enclosure, amps, crossovers, and other things. now though that i am in my 30's, i would much rather have much simpler install of a few speakers and maybe a small amp that i can put under the seat easily.

thank you for doing the leg work. if i were to be in the market for something like this, i think the 400 to 600 is a very nice spot to be in for the simplicity, the already done tuning homework, and the fact that someone wants to do something to fit a consumer's needs.

hell i just spent 600 on a shock for my piece of crap motorcycle. thats nothin when it comes to decent speakers.

12. Apr 27, 2011 at 4:33 AM
    JonnyBb

JonnyBb I have to return some videotapes

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Pro (upgrade from my 2nd gen)
    Work in progress, but mods so far; OTT 7.0 tune, 255/85/16 Falken WildPeak M/Ts
    x2...maybe even $500

13. Apr 27, 2011 at 5:08 AM
    CaptainFun

CaptainFun That Guy

Member:
    Washington DC
    Vehicle:
    2005 Double Cab 4x4
    This.

I had no intention if putting in a new system simply for the reason of not wanting to lose the storage space. I was intrigued when I saw this thread because of it's potential sound improvement while maintaining capability. I think this is the mentality of a significant portion of us subscribed to your thread. Most of us are not audiophiles or we would be looking at a more dramatic system upgrade.

Personally my decision wether or not to purchase of this system will depend on it's cost and my perceived "value" of the system's performance. Especially since I will likely need to upgrade my stock head unit as well.

I know you run a business and you are doing a lot of serious development so please do not be insulted when I say my ideal price point would be around 300 dollars. That would allow some room for a new head unit for 150-200 and be done for under 500. Less would always be preferable too. Good luck and thanks again.

14. Apr 27, 2011 at 5:36 AM
    Davtopgun

Davtopgun Weeeee mod time!

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Central Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off-Road
    TacoAlaMode Custom grill, SCS Gunmetal F5's, Treadwright guard dogs, King extended travel coilovers w/800# springs, OME Dakars. LRUCA's. Allpro off-road plate rear bumper with high clearance hitch, steel breaded extended brake lines front and rear, SOS concepts bolt on rock sliders with top plate, Pelfreybuilt front plate bumper, rci skid plates, Airflow Snorkel, Tom Woods custom one piece drivesahft, Weathertech in channel rain guards, Bushwacker fender flares, custom cab height bedrack, 60" Hi-Lift jack w/Mount, Recon 10,500lb waterproof winch with synthetic line, rear bumper light pods, front bumper light pods and light bar.
  15. Apr 28, 2011 at 1:10 PM
    pudgie10

pudgie10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Moline, Il
    Vehicle:
    2011 TlX Pro
    rear TSB
    Subscribed

16. May 1, 2011 at 8:39 PM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    I've done a little playing since coming back from my trip and have a few developments. We might be using a Tang Band 6.5" subwoofer (y'all know I'm fond of those) in the door as a midbass. Yes, using a sub in the door. We would be able to do this if we had a tweeter that will play low enough to have it's frequency spectrum match up with that of the top end on the sub. I might have a solution to this but more testing is required.

I'm able to fit the subs in the doors without a problem. They are sounding VERY VERY nice in my opinion and I'm quite critical. I've been running them in my truck since Wednesday night and I'm fairly impressed. The only problem I foresee is that you'll have to really go to town deadening the doors.....BIG TIME

17. May 1, 2011 at 9:24 PM
    achirdo

achirdo I Weld!

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    North DFW
    Vehicle:
    What price are you looking at so far with that current set up

18. May 1, 2011 at 10:49 PM
    meantaco

meantaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andres
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prerunner. Gone,but not forgotten.
    Retrofit,bull bar,hellas and color matched grill.
    ?

19. May 1, 2011 at 11:58 PM
    Doug2000

Doug2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra 5.7L
    I would be interested, but must come in under $400.00
    Do I need to run an amp, or would my Alpine have enough power?
    I have an old Hifonics Amp but prefer to keep it simple.

The stock system has much to be desired.

20. May 2, 2011 at 6:42 AM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    Good questions on the price and power.

Power I'm not really sure since I have yet to test it on anything other than my truck. I'm running an amplifier so I have more power than is needed. Next step would be to build some passive crossovers and see what it sounds like on a stock Tacoma headunit or someone with all stock speakers and an aftermarket unit.

Price....I don't want to speak too soon since nothing is solidified yet in terms of drivers and I have yet to build a crossover so I don't know how much those parts will cost. Ballpark would be somewhere in the neighborhood of $350. I don't think any more than that. This would include the front baffles and a good amount of deadener to get you started.

Products Discussed in

To Top