1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Gauging Interest: 8" Tacoma Component Kit

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by ItalynStylion, Apr 7, 2011.

?

What do you think?

Poll closed May 7, 2011.
  1. Sounds good, sign me up!

51 vote(s)
    66.2%
  2. I'd even run this with a sub too for uber bass...like a boss!

20 vote(s)
    26.0%
  3. Nahhh, I'm fine with stock...

6 vote(s)
    7.8%
  1. May 16, 2011 at 5:56 PM
    mattg43

mattg43 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner SR5 DC
    SwingCase, driver side. PVC Bike rack. Aftermarket stereo.
    Steven has had to concentrate on his business, Stereo Clarity as they were just at a local audio show this weekend. I hear things went great, but - as his main focus for the company is not car audio setups, this had to sit for the last week or so, as he prepared to try to sell some of his products.

I am sure he will chime in soon with some info, or if I hear from him again I will check and post up any info I have from him.

I am as anxious (probably more so, as I am holding off on my truck install to do some testing for this) as the rest of you, but we are still under 2 months, and he is testing drivers out of his own pocket for research, and cannot really move forward until the tweeter that he is testing is finalized, and he is able to get it. This in itself will probably amount to a significant cash outlay on his part, in order to convince the MFG to produce these.

Patience guys!

2. May 16, 2011 at 6:11 PM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion [OP] Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    Yeah, as Matt said, I haven't had time to get on this thing in a bit. I've also developed an ulcer (at the ripe old age of 25) likely from doing to much lately. I'll find time to work out the details during the week. It's proving to be worthy but I need to get a final tune on the set and re-mount the tweeters. I have a high frequency resonance from the tweeters but I think it's because of how I mounted them.

And yes, we had not just a good show...but a GREAT show!

[​IMG]

3. May 22, 2011 at 1:01 AM
    meantaco

meantaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andres
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prerunner. Gone,but not forgotten.
    Retrofit,bull bar,hellas and color matched grill.
    sunday bump

4. May 22, 2011 at 7:16 AM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    I have it where I want it in the truck right now and to me it sounds pretty good. Pretty good to me is probably really nice to most others. I just need some second opinions and we would need to hear it on a stock headunit.

My fear is that the subs being used as midbass drivers are so inefficient that I'd have to pad the tweeter a HUGE amount. I'm talking almost 9db.

The whole situation is frustrating. It's a damn impossible task. I'll be sitting on my ass doing not a whole lot today so if anyone in the area wants to come hear it let me know.

5. May 22, 2011 at 7:45 AM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    I'm going to spend a few hours today looking at different midbass drivers. I may have a few really good options that I just thought of while waking up this morning. Gotta model them out first and Matt you'll likely be getting a call.

6. May 22, 2011 at 9:47 AM
    allmotorrex

allmotorrex Grove St. Fab

Member:
    First Name:
    Gideon
    Memphis 901
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 4wd 2.7
    NWF crawlbox, 5.29s, rear Detriot, front Harrop, 37" SXIIs, 17x9" KMC Grenade Crawl beadlocks, Dirt King 3.5" LT kit with King shocks, Fox 12" smooth body RR, BAMF shock kit, AP 3" springs, ext. brake lines, custom 1 piece driveshaft with .135 wall tubeing, GSF front rock crawling bumper, GSF rear bumper, Relentless Fab ifs skid, BAMF k/o sliders, X2O 10K comp. winch, TP glass fenders, OKled 20"bar, EBS dimpled/slotted rotors, EBS green pads, custom K&N CAI, LCE headers, FM Super 44 w/h turn down, URD MAF, Spec clutch, LCE heavy flywheel, URD short shifter, TMPer M1 Abrams shift knob, Amsoil oil, Cobra 75wxst w/h 4' firestix, Grillcraft, FXR TRS, T1 eyelids, custom ADV Monster 60 lights, bed lights, speedo light mod, Glow Shift volt/oil pres gauges, Glow shift 2g column pod, Optima yellow tops dual battery setup w/h IBS system, Pioneer DEH-P7200HD head unit, Pioneer 600W 4ch & 350w 2ch amps for doors and sub, Wet Oakle covers
    i hope you get something accomplished! Heres to a good day!:D

7. May 22, 2011 at 1:17 PM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    So I had one of the members here come over today and listen to the setup. I think we both agree that it sounds GOOD but it's not enough to even contemplate replacing a sub.

Here are the problems I'd been dealing with. You have a speaker capable of good bass and it's typically has a very deep mounting depth. Depth is at a premium for us in these doors. Bigger drivers (8's) typically make better bass but are deeper than their 6.5" counterparts...again, you see the catch 22?

This is why I've tried to use a 6.5" sub up front. It does pretty darn well but one problem remains and I think it's an unsolvable one. You can't make that much bass in the front doors and not have rattles. My doors are sealed and VERY well deadened and I still have a ton of rattles. The doors just wont support that much bass.

I'm sorry guys but I just don't think this is possible. A phenomenal sounding component set isn't a problem. But one that's going to do well enough in the bass department that you might think about not needing a sub.....never going to happen. I'm just being honest. I apologize if I've wasted anyones time but I assure you I'm into this for a couple hundred dollars so it's not like I didn't try :D

8. May 22, 2011 at 1:50 PM
    Slimwood Shady

Slimwood Shady I love your mom!

Member:
    First Name:
    Linwood
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    '23 TRD Pro Tundra; 996TT; '16 Odyssey
    #nomods
    I have Hybrid Audio Claruses in all 4 doors and they not only sound great, but the mid bass is amazing!

9. May 22, 2011 at 2:30 PM
    VooDoo

VooDoo More Cowbell!

Member:
    First Name:
    Carter Ivey
    Baton Rouge, LA/ Starkville, MS
    Vehicle:
    '06 DC LB PreRunner
    :pout:

thanks for all the time you put in it! +rep :D

10. May 22, 2011 at 3:02 PM
    ninja90177

ninja90177 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenney
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    '09 AC 4x4 Off-Road
    Icon 2.5 C/Os, Wheeler's AAL, OME N182, 265/75-16 KM2s, Murdered Emblems
    If anything, you've just professed that it will not work, and SAVED people a bunch of time and money in the trial and error department. I'm actually sorry that your time and money was "wasted." But, now we know. Thanks for doing all of this.

Being a half deaf audio enthusiast (funny, right?) I say a component system that can cover the lower-ish mids (maybe), mids, and highs is awesome, and if you want to thump, or want to feel the lower-end of the frequency spectrum, you're stuck with a sub.

I'm still hopeful for a kick-ass component set. I can always tailor my system around that.

11. May 22, 2011 at 3:34 PM
    allmotorrex

allmotorrex Grove St. Fab

Member:
    First Name:
    Gideon
    Memphis 901
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 4wd 2.7
    NWF crawlbox, 5.29s, rear Detriot, front Harrop, 37" SXIIs, 17x9" KMC Grenade Crawl beadlocks, Dirt King 3.5" LT kit with King shocks, Fox 12" smooth body RR, BAMF shock kit, AP 3" springs, ext. brake lines, custom 1 piece driveshaft with .135 wall tubeing, GSF front rock crawling bumper, GSF rear bumper, Relentless Fab ifs skid, BAMF k/o sliders, X2O 10K comp. winch, TP glass fenders, OKled 20"bar, EBS dimpled/slotted rotors, EBS green pads, custom K&N CAI, LCE headers, FM Super 44 w/h turn down, URD MAF, Spec clutch, LCE heavy flywheel, URD short shifter, TMPer M1 Abrams shift knob, Amsoil oil, Cobra 75wxst w/h 4' firestix, Grillcraft, FXR TRS, T1 eyelids, custom ADV Monster 60 lights, bed lights, speedo light mod, Glow Shift volt/oil pres gauges, Glow shift 2g column pod, Optima yellow tops dual battery setup w/h IBS system, Pioneer DEH-P7200HD head unit, Pioneer 600W 4ch & 350w 2ch amps for doors and sub, Wet Oakle covers
    I give you a high five for putting all this time in it but i think you could still put together something pretty good. A badass sounding system without a sub with informing people that if they want more bass a sub is required. I have a sub and theres plenty of times i turn it off cause im tired of hearing it and just listen to tha speakers and it still sounds awesome! Bass is important but its not everything and i think people might still appreciate you coming up an awesome setup.

12. May 22, 2011 at 3:35 PM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    ^ I appreciate the glass half full approach. And the money isn't totally wasted; I'll find something to do with the speaker drivers that's for sure. I just don't know what it is just yet.

Adam and I also talked about the possibility of trying to do a small sub setup but it would be quite hard really only because there are three cab styles and you'd have to have something specific for each one. That's one of the reasons I was so stoked about a really bassy front component set was because I knew that would work for all cab styles :(

13. May 22, 2011 at 7:50 PM
    mattg43

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner SR5 DC
    dont give up yet. Talk to your guy, see what a crossover build will actually cost. Let me get a bit of time with the original drivers, lets see where those sit.

If it turns out they just wont work, then that is that. But we may find they are the perfect budget DIY drivers for this truck, especially if you are willing to use a small 8" behind the seat. A cheap 4 channel, these drivers, and a crossover schematic at the end of this post, and you SOLVE that "what system for $600 bucks" question.

Heck, Ill probably work with my tweets for the sails, but I may want to try those mids on my own.

14. May 22, 2011 at 7:54 PM
    achirdo

achirdo I Weld!

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    North DFW
    Vehicle:
    06 dodge ram 3500 5.9 cummins
    one of the main problems we saw with having great bass from the mid bass speakers in the doors is that the doors will rattle like hell...even with lots of sound deadener like what steven has they still rattle.

15. May 22, 2011 at 8:39 PM
    mattg43

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner SR5 DC

thanks, and thanks for lending an ear with the testing!

I am aware of the issues, and what he has done to quell them. I also noted that his current drivers do not require a whole lot of work in order to knock them out. I intended on using drivers with a little better midbass than the ones he is currently using, and possibly moving to some Seas 7" drivers, so I am sure I will be dealing with some of these issues myself. kind of a 2 birds one stone thought going in my head...:eek:

16. May 22, 2011 at 8:47 PM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    Throughout this whole thing I'll admit there were definitely pieces of the midbass I was missing with my own system before. I don't think the Ebony's will be going back in the doors. I think I might actually end up running those Peerless in the end if I can tweak out the baffle a touch and make them fit better. (which I'm confident I can do)

You know I'll lend you any of the drivers in my stock Matt so if you're looking to play around with stuff be my guest. Just let me know what you need via PM. I have one more idea that might work but I don't know that it will. The driver wont be available till mid June and I'll likely be using it for something else anyways. If I end up getting any of them I'll throw them in the doors to see what's up.

17. May 23, 2011 at 10:30 AM
    willimatic

willimatic Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Rancho Murieta/Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma AC 4x4 Sport
    I'll keep my fingers crossed :)

18. May 23, 2011 at 5:15 PM
    mattg43

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner SR5 DC
    Thanks man, I appreciate it. I may snag those mids, but I hope to just stick with a 7" driver, Seas is most likely. Im sure we will get together soon.

19. Jul 27, 2011 at 5:36 PM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    Update...:notsure:

20. Jul 27, 2011 at 5:46 PM
    novanut21

novanut21 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    North Central,WV
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD SPORT
    AFE CAI, Magnaflow cat-back, TRD S/C, TRD Quickshifter, URD Fuel Pump Kit, Wet Okoles Front&Rear, WeatherTech Mats, Sockmonkey Decals, Satoshi grille, JBA "shorty" headers, URD Y-Pipe, TTC Oil Catch Can, Lotek Dual Apillar gauge pod w/ Autometer Phantom II AFR & Vac/Boost, URD Pulley, HID Retrofit.
    ^^^X2! I completely forgot about this!

Products Discussed in

To Top