1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

GB Active till 4/23: Ultragauge (Scangauge Alternative)

Discussion in 'Group Buys' started by klundquist, Apr 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. May 14, 2012 at 3:19 PM
    Cowboyz

Cowboyz Membor

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Southern Utah/Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    07 DC LB TRD Sport
    6in Pro Comp stage 2 lift, 2.75in ProComp Coilovers, Rear MX6 adjustable shocks, 35in Nittro Trail Grapplers, 17 in XD Spys, URD intake, URD MAF Calibrator, Flowmaster 40 Series, AMP Power steps, debadged, blacked out tail lights, Blacked out headlights w/ Mini H1 Retros and halos, JVC KW-AVX840 7" Double-Din, Viper 5704 2way alarm/remote start, LEDs in Dome, Maps, and license plate lights, short black antenna, 5% Tint, removed sway bar
    yea but the empty rural roads dont have mile markers.

2. May 14, 2012 at 3:26 PM
    arrrghhh

arrrghhh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road
    Custom Front Bumper, Smittybilt XRC-8, 3" OME lift, 33" Falken A/T tires
    Some of our county "highways" do... I just don't feel like driving to the middle of nowhere just to calibrate this thing. There's a highway near Denver that's pretty open, huge shoulder, and lots of straightaways... I'll probably just head out there after work and get it done. You only need to drive a mile, maybe 2 at most to get it calibrated.

3. May 14, 2012 at 3:30 PM
    leveltwo

leveltwo Well-Known Member

Member:
    how do you find the refresh rate?

Mine is really off, even the speedo. I entered the 21 gal fuel tank and the sensor told me (while my truck was on E) that I had 105 miles left and 5.2 gallons left.... I thought this was supposed to read where the gas sensor was laying in the tank?

4. May 14, 2012 at 3:33 PM
    arrrghhh

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road
    I asked about this earlier mate... I have a feeling there's no sensor that actually reads the level back to the computer. So you tell the UG you have a 21.1 gallon tank AND when you fill it up. Then the UG works out the numbers... I need to read the manual more on this topic.

As for refresh rate, this has been beaten to death in this post.

5. May 14, 2012 at 3:34 PM
    MJonaGS32

MJonaGS32 MJ on a GS

Member:
    First Name:
    MJ
    SF Bay Area (East)
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 4x4 DCSB 6spd Vagabond
    Drifter wedge camper, Dual battery, OBA, ARB locker, 4.56 gears
    As far as the mile markers, can't you map out 1 or 2 miles on a straight road on google maps, then actually drive it, then calibrate?

6. May 14, 2012 at 3:37 PM
    Cowboyz

Cowboyz Membor

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Southern Utah/Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    07 DC LB TRD Sport
    6in Pro Comp stage 2 lift, 2.75in ProComp Coilovers, Rear MX6 adjustable shocks, 35in Nittro Trail Grapplers, 17 in XD Spys, URD intake, URD MAF Calibrator, Flowmaster 40 Series, AMP Power steps, debadged, blacked out tail lights, Blacked out headlights w/ Mini H1 Retros and halos, JVC KW-AVX840 7" Double-Din, Viper 5704 2way alarm/remote start, LEDs in Dome, Maps, and license plate lights, short black antenna, 5% Tint, removed sway bar
    that is exactly what I am going to do. But it just doesnt seem 100% accurate but I can almost guarantee that it will be more accurate than what my spedo and odo is reading.

and if its not 100% with GPS ill just try again and again until i have it right on

7. May 14, 2012 at 3:38 PM
    arrrghhh

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road
    How would you know if you drove exactly 1 or 2 miles? You could use a GPS device, but it won't be 100% accurate. Not that mile markers will be either, but you'd hope that if you get front-tire to front-tire on the markers it'll be pretty damned close...

My GPS is usually accurate within ~5 meters, so maybe I can just live with that amount of error... Should still be closer to reality than my speedo is today, haha.

8. May 14, 2012 at 4:23 PM
    Cowboyz

Cowboyz Membor

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Southern Utah/Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    07 DC LB TRD Sport
    What is the deal with this window mount? I mean it's not even slanted where the suction cup is. what vehicle has a flat window that isn't slanted? Is anyone really going to use this window mount. I'm Extremly frustrated with that stupid mount

9. May 14, 2012 at 4:26 PM
    arrrghhh

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road
    You don't bent the suction cup itself, bend the stiff cable just after the cup. That will allow you to fit it any which way you want...

It does take a bit of convincing, just go slow and be careful.

10. May 14, 2012 at 5:17 PM
    arrrghhh

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road
    Sorry for the doublepost, but I figured out the fuel thingy after trying it again...

2nd gen taco's don't seem to have a fuel sensor that reports to the ECM, as I suspected... so if you want to use the fuel readings it's a manual process. You calibrate the fuel similar to how you calibrate miles... Just make sure you reset the UG everytime you fill up. It supports partial fillups, but I can't imagine they'll be very accurate.

Unfortunate our trucks don't have the sensor for this, but really we're only losing the actual liter/gallon level of the tank, and time/distance to empty. MPG instant/avg does not depend on it.

Also calibrated it on the way home. I just used my GPS to get a rough # for distance. I'd like to calibrate it a little more accurately, but it's definitely more accurate than what it was. Not sure I'll be able to calibrate more accurately using mile markers, I'd like to find some app for mah phone that reports distance more precisely. I know I'm limited by the accuracy of the GPS, but the app I was using only drilled down to the .1 miles. The UG goes to .001 miles... Would like to get it as accurate as possible, but like I said using the GPS in my phone and calibrating it that way was much simpler than using mile markers, and is pretty accurate... just not as accurate as I'd like :p.

11. May 14, 2012 at 5:37 PM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Moderator Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Elon
    Wonder if Tundras have a fuel sensor for them?

12. May 14, 2012 at 6:52 PM
    TacomaPrime

TacomaPrime Cybertronian Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregory
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    14 TRD sport 4x4 Barcelona Red
    Weathertech front floor liners, window vent visors. Custom bedside decals. OEM bed mat, tonneau covrew. Added D rings to bed.
    Hmmm. Not bad I guess. the mpg instant/avg is the one I wanted most.

13. May 14, 2012 at 7:12 PM
    TacomaPrime

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregory
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    Weathertech front floor liners, window vent visors. Custom bedside decals. OEM bed mat, tonneau covrew. Added D rings to bed.
    How are you supposed to calibrate it while driving, or should i have someone else drive so I can calibrate it? Seems a little involved to try to do it myself.

14. May 14, 2012 at 8:43 PM
    arrrghhh

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road
    Well, only one way to find out!

"UltraGauge automatically determines if the vehicle supports a fuel level sensor. If no sensor is available, the message “No Fuel Sensor Found” will be displayed when MENU --> Fuel Menu --> Level Sender Mode is selected. If not present, see the Disabled setting below for additional details"

Pg. 33 of ze manual. I've been getting friendly with it... tis large, but this thing has a lot of options and is a little confusing to handle at first.

http://ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/support/Ultra_Gauge_EM_Manual.pdf

Ditto! And the ability to clear codes and correct for MPH is just an added bonus :)

Having someone help would obviously make it easier... but I just pulled over 2x. Basically I pulled over on a big shoulder, zeroed the UG and the GPS. Drove down the highway until my exit, pulled over again and did the adjustment. The more you drive, the better the calibration I would think. My GPS is semi-accurate, but it's not perfect... I would think this would be about as accurate as using mile-markers tho, y'know?

I might re-check it at random, but so far I'm happy with the initial calibration I did this afternoon.

15. May 15, 2012 at 4:45 AM
    TacomaPrime

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregory
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    Can I stop multiple times before marking the first mile? Was thinking I could do this in my neighborhood but there's a few stop signs.

16. May 15, 2012 at 6:04 AM
    arrrghhh

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road
    You can, but keep in mind the faster you go the more accurate it will be.

I drove just over 3.5 miles on the highway... Not sure how well that would work in a neighborhood with stop signs... It would probably work, just keep in mind that it might not be as accurate.

17. May 15, 2012 at 6:21 AM
    TacomaPrime

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregory
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    Hmmm. I have a highway near me, not a interstate, but I could use my gps to start the mile and end it. Is it better to do 1 mile, or several at once?

18. May 15, 2012 at 12:40 PM
    arrrghhh

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road
    The larger the sample area and the more distance you travel, the more accurate it will be.

19. May 15, 2012 at 1:01 PM
    rbishopp

rbishopp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Webster, NY
    Vehicle:
    2009 4WD Reg cab Taco. Keepin it simple.
    So far I've added an Advance folding bed cover and since removed it. Gave it to my son in Maine, he has an 05 2wd. GT perfect fit seat covers. Weathertech floor mats and window vent visors. Waag center brush/grill guard. Hose clamp tailgate mod. Turned off the seat belt chime. Added Ultra-Gauge. Trailer hitch. Softopper. Replaced sun visors with slide out style. Toyota bed extender. Had Firestone Destinations and now Michelin LTX AT2 in stock size. More mods to come; Fog lights, locking storage in bed, intermittent wipers. Now looking for Radio/HU upgrade. and maybe a lift way down the road.
    Just plugged in my Ultra-gauge. Need to calibrate. I plan on doing several miles on a marked highway with GPS also to check distance. I'll do a short trip or two and then a longer eight to ten mile test and re-cal.

20. May 15, 2012 at 3:21 PM
    TacomaPrime

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregory
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    I think I am going to just use my gps for now to calibrate it. the nearest highway with mile markers is a little bit of a jog.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top