1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Gear for my Tacoma-Camper

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Calvin9819, Jan 8, 2020.

1. Jan 8, 2020 at 9:22 AM
    Calvin9819

Calvin9819 [OP] Member

Member:
    Hi Y'all! I've got a 2011 2.7L Access cab, 4x4, 5spd manual Tacoma with an all around 3" lift that i plan on building into a light camper. I plan on building a cap out of fiberglass and insulation that i will be traveling across the U.S. for, for an extended period of time. I plan on keeping the total weight below or slightly above stock payload capacity constantly. I have a couple questions regarding setting up my truck for this adventure:
    1) What rear suspension upgrades would be smart to add? I've looked for like old man emu medium/heavy springs but i could use some advice.
    2) Can my 2.7 handle a constant load of 800 or so pounds? Assuming i do more frequent oil changes for the diff, engine, t-case, and transmission
    3) What tires should i look into getting as far as load rating?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
  2. Jan 12, 2020 at 7:35 AM
    Snaeper

Snaeper Drinks like an 8, Drives like a 3

Member:
    First Name:
    Martin
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Quicksand SX 2.7 4x4 1990 Toyota Celica ST
    SnugTop Rebel, Infinity Kappa's, ToughDog 40mm
    1. OME Heavy Springs at minimum, but Deavers and possibly Firestone Airbags at maximum. Superbumps should also be looked at.

2. The TR series engine is a workhorse. The only car it was ever put in was a Taxicab, otherwise it's found in Body on Frame trucks and SUV's, as well as work vans and even a bus internationally. It will handle weight just fine as long as you dont mind revving it (which its built to handle). Keep an eye on temps and maybe consider a transmission cooler to help things out if you're gonna be hitting lots of inclines.

3. The higher the load rating the better, especially if you're gonna be going off road. C would be the minimum, but E would be best (albeit less comfortable). I'd personally look at Michelin's ATX2 for your use, unless you want a really aggressive looking tire. Michelin's will last forever if taken care of and will likely treat you the best on the highway.

3. Jan 14, 2020 at 5:26 AM
    Calvin9819

Calvin9819 [OP] Member

Member:
    I’ll keep an eye out for tires for sure, I currently have Falkwn Wildpeak AT3W’s. I probably will do a bit of off road so I’ll look into those tires you suggested.

I was worried I had to buy a 6 cylinder for this endeavor and I’m really glad I don’t have to. Less to go wrong on the road!

as for as rear shocks, would that be what those airbags would replace? Would you advise replacing the stock shocks with better ones if I decided not to go the airbag route?

4. Jan 14, 2020 at 8:06 AM
    Snaeper

Member:
    First Name:
    Martin
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags are a spring helper and supplemental to your leaf springs. Dakar Heavies should be your first priority before adding those.

5. Jan 15, 2020 at 6:04 AM
    Calvin9819

Calvin9819 [OP] Member

Member:
    Sounds good I’ll look into those heavies. Though because my cap and gear will most likely stay well within stock load limits, I’m thinking I won’t need the air bags? Am I correct in assuming?

6. Jan 15, 2020 at 2:51 PM
    Snaeper

Member:
    First Name:
    Martin
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    The Dakar's should mitigate the possibility of you needing the Ride Rite's.

However, one thing I learned about them the other night is that they can be used to level your truck (at least the rear) when parked for camping, so there are more benefits than just hauling.

Products Discussed in

To Top