1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Gear oil

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 1st4x4, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Feb 12, 2018 at 2:17 PM
    1st4x4

1st4x4 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sam
    Torrance
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma 5 speed 4x4
    tundra front clip, tundra brakes, cab cage, camburg long travel, archive garage rear shock relocate
    I have seen it before but now can't find it. How many quarts of gear oil is needed to change all fluids. Front and rear diff, trans and transfer case. And I see gl4 is best for the trans can I use gl4 for everything?

2. Feb 12, 2018 at 2:39 PM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    Doubtful. Suspect that GL5 is the spec for the everything else.

Sorry I can't help with the capacities, but someone will be along shortly with that data.

I can however suggest you consider using Ford XT-M5-QS in the transmission. It's a GL4 product. It's expensive. But it can be bought OTC at a Ford shop (or ordered in). I've had lots of folks with notchy shifting in track run sports cars just rave over the improvements after a few hundred miles of use. No, it can't fix worn stuff, but it certainly can work quite well. And going to 50k intervals with that product offsets the cost a bit.

If you do go with the Ford product, make sure they give you the correct PN. Most counter jockeys have never heard of the stuff, unless the dealership happens to have a sizeable SVO/SVT clientele. @shakerhood might have some thoughts on this too.

For the other boxes I'd just use Mobil 1 OTC gear lube. Easy to find, decent quality. No real value added by using boutique elixers.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  3. Feb 12, 2018 at 10:58 PM
    2004TacomaSR5

2004TacomaSR5 Nemesis Prime

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DCSB & 1980 Toyota Pickup 4WD
    Tacoma is stock and staying that way, Pickup is TBA as of now.
    Never actually changed mine as of yet. But, I believe you can look it up through one of those service manuals that can be downloaded online.
    I recommend Amsoil or Redline gear lubes. They're spendy but are very high quality and you will get lot of life out of it. 75W-90 is the weight you need. I think Amsoil's website actually tells you how much the diffs hold, but, idk if it's accurate.

QMEDJoe likes this.
  4. Feb 13, 2018 at 12:06 AM
    QMEDJoe

QMEDJoe Proverbs 3:5-6

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Fleetwood NC
    Vehicle:
    2003 black DLX Tacoma,5VZ-FE,5 speed,4x4.
    Fox 2.0 Coilovers in the front and Fox 2.0’s in the rear, Total Chaos UCA’s, Al-lpro expo leafs, K&N cold air intake, TRD headers,Magnaflow catback exhaust,URD short throw shifter, switched out my 60/40 bench seat for some Tacoma Limited seats, Replaced the vinyl shift boot for a leather one, completely soundproofed the cab w/ Frost King. Replaced stock radio with a Pioneer AVH series head unit. Focal component system w/a 10" sub powered by 2 Alpine amps. Weathertech floor mats. Line-X'd the bed. SCS Ray 10’s, Installed an A.R.E. MX series camper shell. All-Pro Apex front bumper w/ All-Pro skid plates all the way back to the Trans. Low Range fuel skid plate.
    I found this extremely helpful when I first changed all my fluids.https://youtu.be/eDNYzMONxEk
    I usually go with Royal Purple 75w90 on both diffs, transfer case and I go with Redline MT-90 for my transmission.(if you drive a manual) I may try all Redline next go around. It’s pricey but it’s the best stuff out there hands down.

5. Feb 13, 2018 at 5:00 AM
    vettehigh

vettehigh Tacoma Tank

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Upstate, NY
    Amsoil 75W-90 for front/rear diff and transfer case

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/gear-lube/severe-gear-75w-90/

6. Feb 13, 2018 at 7:54 AM
    boostedka

boostedka Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    NM
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB 6MT, 2004 4runner
    I think the front case uses about 1.1 qts, rear is about 2.6qts, transfer case is ~1qt, and transmission is around 2.5-3. These are estimates based on my memory. I have my manual at home i can look at later if you need.

vettehigh likes this.
  7. Feb 13, 2018 at 9:57 AM
    QMEDJoe

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Fleetwood NC
    Vehicle:
    Fox 2.0 Coilovers in the front and Fox 2.0’s in the rear, Total Chaos UCA’s, Al-lpro expo leafs, K&N cold air intake, TRD headers,Magnaflow catback exhaust,URD short throw shifter, switched out my 60/40 bench seat for some Tacoma Limited seats, Replaced the vinyl shift boot for a leather one, completely soundproofed the cab w/ Frost King. Replaced stock radio with a Pioneer AVH series head unit. Focal component system w/a 10" sub powered by 2 Alpine amps. Weathertech floor mats. Line-X'd the bed. SCS Ray 10’s, Installed an A.R.E. MX series camper shell. All-Pro Apex front bumper w/ All-Pro skid plates all the way back to the Trans. Low Range fuel skid plate.
    I think the video above, the guy shows the section in the manual.

8. Feb 13, 2018 at 10:08 AM
    eon_blue

eon_blue Most Improved Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD 3.4l 4x4 5sp manual Xtraca & '96 4runner 4x4 5spd manual
    I don't think the front or the rear diff required more than 3 quarts each if I remember right...the t-case was definitely under 3.

I think the 5 speed trans was around 4 quarts. I bought a gallon of the Redline MT-90 oil for it and used about 2/3 of it.

The video posted above is the same one I referenced the first time I did all my own oils and it helped with the amounts, it's also in the owner's manual if you still have it.

Make sure to buy new crush washers for each of the plugs, you can get a bag of them off of Amazon for $10

QMEDJoe likes this.
  9. Feb 13, 2018 at 10:10 AM
    TacomaUSA

TacomaUSA Cross Country Tacoma

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 Access Cab- 6 speed
    What is a good price for a shop to charge for drain/fill of the above 4 fluids? (front diff, rear diff, transfer case, manual tranny). Just labor, not fluids. I'm thinking an hour of labor?

I'm about 5,000 miles from my next interval and I just don't know when I'll have the free time/decent weather to do everything myself.

Hope I didn't hijack this thread. If so, I'll start a new one.

10. Feb 13, 2018 at 10:14 AM
    eon_blue

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    I would really try to do them yourself if you can, I don't remember the last time I had a shop do it but it was WAY overpriced. The rear diff, t-case and trans are easy and you could probably do in under an hour. The front diff is a little harder since you have to drop the skid plate.

I think Toyota charged me $120 to do the t-case last time I had them do it a few years ago. Doing it myself costs me two quarts of gear oil ($20 or so) and a new crush washer, and maybe 15 min of time. I can only image what doing all 4 would cost at once from a dealer.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    QMEDJoe likes this.
  11. Feb 13, 2018 at 10:38 AM
    QMEDJoe

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Fleetwood NC
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, Jiffy Lube wanted to charge an astronomical amount for all fluids.

12. Feb 13, 2018 at 10:39 AM
    eon_blue

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    I had Oilstop do my front diff once because I was on the way to a trail and realized I hadn't done it in a while, wanted it done quick. They're a drive-thru oil change company like Jiffy Lube but worlds better as far as being competent goes, lol. Anyway, they charged me $60 to do the front diff, which is a lot better than what Toyota wanted just to do the t-case but it's still way more than what it would cost to do yourself.

QMEDJoe likes this.
  13. Feb 13, 2018 at 10:57 AM
    TacomaUSA

TacomaUSA Cross Country Tacoma

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 Access Cab- 6 speed
    Just called the mechanic. $400 total including all labor and fluids. front diff, rear diff, transfer case, manual tranny.

Ouch.

QMEDJoe likes this.
  14. Feb 13, 2018 at 10:58 AM
    eon_blue

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, that's highway robbery (well, considering the labor rate nowadays I guess its' about average). Buy a few gallon jugs of gear oil for maybe $100, a bag of crush washers for $10 or so through Amazon (dealer has them too but pricier)...maybe $120 in materials and a couple hours of driveway time and you save yourself a few hundred bucks.

15. Feb 13, 2018 at 11:00 AM
    QMEDJoe

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Fleetwood NC
    Vehicle:
    I would stop at your local hardware store and pick you up a crescent wrench or find out what size the bolts are that hold on the skid plates and buy that size wrenches. Their all the samesize. The plugs for all your oils should be same as well. I think the transmission is bigger. Between that and a catch can you can get out of it for $50 if you already have all the oil. Also I’ve changed out my transfer case oil in Oreillys parking lot. They don’t mind :D

16. Feb 13, 2018 at 11:04 AM
    eon_blue

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    I have an aftermarket skid now but if I remember right, they're either 12mm or 14mm bolts on the skid plate.

The manual trans is a 24mm plug, in fact I think they all are except for the front diff which I think is a 10mm hex

QMEDJoe[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top