1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Gearing

Discussion in 'Towing' started by FLA-Sandman, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Jul 18, 2009 at 12:53 PM
    FLA-Sandman

FLA-Sandman [OP] New Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner
    I have a 2006 PreRunner TRD Sport with the factory tow package. I will be towing a 22' Toyhauler that weighs 4,600# unloaded, so I will be approaching the trucks towing limits when loaded. My question is, should I change the rear end gearing to make it a little easier on the engine/transmission? How much fuel mileage would I lose when not towing?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. Nov 9, 2009 at 3:03 PM
    WV_Tacoma

WV_Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntington, WV
    Vehicle:
    05 Pre, DBL Cab
    Not enough
    Same question. I tow 5-10,000k miles each year pulling 5,000# Travel trailer.....

You guys that jack the truck all up and change gearing...What gear, gas mileage etc do you experience?

I tow about 50-60 mph...Normal driving no towing I drive 70mph....

3. Nov 26, 2009 at 7:31 AM
    blackxpress

blackxpress Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Carlisle, OH
    Vehicle:
    98 SR5 2WD Xcab
    I'm curious about the same thing. I tow a 2000 lb. bass boat quite a bit. I used to tow the same boat with a 1987 4x2 reg cab. That truck had a 22R 5 spd and it did just fine. The truck I have now is a 98 4x2 Xtra cab, 2.4 5 spd and it seems to struggle a little more than the 87 did. I'm assuming that truck was geared a little lower. My 98 does just fine but it seems to huff and puff pretty hard going up hills. I could also stand just a little more oomph on some of the steeper boat ramps. I'm thinking about changing the rear gear but don't know what's the best route to go. This truck is also my daily driver so I wouldn't want to lose any more fuel mileage than I just have to. Limited slip would be nice too, for those days when the ramp is really wet and slick. Maybe a Prerunner rear end?

4. Nov 26, 2009 at 7:40 AM
    Toyota Truck

Toyota Truck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prerunnner
    Magnaflow Muffler-TSB springs-Nuvi 265wt-aFe pro dry s filter-Husky Liners-Blue dome light-extra d-rings-OME 90000 sport struts-885 coils-N182 shocks-TSB AAL-LR UCAs-procomp black alloy rims- nitto terra grapplers-20% tint
To Top