1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

gen 1 fog light mod???

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by twodogs, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Dec 8, 2011 at 12:41 PM
    twodogs

twodogs [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    02 Trd
    Just bought my first tacoma, 02 TRD dbl cab! Love this thing! Have read the fog light/parking light mod write up's and had my a question. What if you just switched the wires front the upper parking lights to the turn signals below, switching the bulbs and sockets of course. Swapping the Fuses?? Has anyone tried this, I'm I not thinking this through or missing something. Thanks for your time.

2. Dec 8, 2011 at 8:03 PM
    Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Monument, CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Access Cab 4x4 V6 6MT, TRD OR & Tow Packages
    ARE Z-Series Topper, OME 885 Coils, Dakar Leafs, NitroCharger Sports; TRD Quickshifter; TRD Exhaust; aFe POWER Magnum FLOW Pro DRY S Air Filter; Goodridge SS Brake Lines; Cooper Discoverer A/T3s on FJ SE Anthracite Rims; N-Fab 6-Step Nerf Bars; MetalMiller TRD Skid; jsi's Locker Anytime & ramonortiz55's Always on Power Outlet Relay Mods; crashnburn80's Ultimate Headlight & Fog Light Upgrades (RallyLights Harnesses, Osram 85/80W H4 & Flösser 90W H11 Bulbs); ND4's Fog Light Anytime Mod; Interior & Reverse LEDs; AudioControl LC2i LOC, JL Audio XD200/2v2 Amp, Focal PS165V1 Spkrs, Sound Ordnance B-8PTD Sub, Hushmat & Foam Insulation; Ltd Auto-Dim/Compass/Temp/Backup Camera/Homelink mirror; 4Runner 4X4 & FJ Fog Light Switches; Husky Floor Liners; UltraGauge EM; Redline Tuning QuickLIFT Elite; Mobtown Offroad Locking Bed Storage Doors; Toyota Bed Mat; Toyota Bed Extender; Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock; SolarGard Tint; CravenSpeed Stubby Antenna; Amsoil Lubricants; Adam's Detailing Supplies
    Welcome to TW!

Thank you for doing some reading before asking your question! Given the quality of the writeup, not to mention the relative simplicity of the mod, I want to confirm one of those you read was Beau02's "fog light mod"?

I think the problems you'll run into with simply trying to drag wires and bulb sockets back and forth will be incorrect socket sizes, insuffucient wire lengths, and improper bulb brightness. (IIRC, the original parking lights are 194 bulbs, which are much smaller and not as bright as the 4157s down below.)

3. Dec 8, 2011 at 8:47 PM
    DNG

DNG Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orange County, CA
    Vehicle:
    White 01 DC PreRunner
    Yes, you can simply cut, switch, and splice the turn signal and parking wires. This is the "easy" fog light mod, and takes <1hr to do.

A problem that you'll run into when doing this mod is hyper blink in the new turn signal (old parking light). A simple fix to that is to use a 921 amber bulb instead of the 194. It is a higher resistance (and brighter) bulb, which slows down the blink.

[​IMG]

4. Dec 12, 2011 at 8:38 AM
    twodogs

twodogs [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    02 Trd
    One more thing, if I simply switch the wiring, that would mean that the parking lights (new turn signal) would only come on when switch is activated. How can I get it to do both, would i still have to change the socket/bulb to a double filament, to make this work. Thanks for the feed back.

5. Dec 12, 2011 at 8:55 PM
    Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Monument, CO
    Vehicle:
    ARE Z-Series Topper, OME 885 Coils, Dakar Leafs, NitroCharger Sports; TRD Quickshifter; TRD Exhaust; aFe POWER Magnum FLOW Pro DRY S Air Filter; Goodridge SS Brake Lines; Cooper Discoverer A/T3s on FJ SE Anthracite Rims; N-Fab 6-Step Nerf Bars; MetalMiller TRD Skid; jsi's Locker Anytime & ramonortiz55's Always on Power Outlet Relay Mods; crashnburn80's Ultimate Headlight & Fog Light Upgrades (RallyLights Harnesses, Osram 85/80W H4 & Flösser 90W H11 Bulbs); ND4's Fog Light Anytime Mod; Interior & Reverse LEDs; AudioControl LC2i LOC, JL Audio XD200/2v2 Amp, Focal PS165V1 Spkrs, Sound Ordnance B-8PTD Sub, Hushmat & Foam Insulation; Ltd Auto-Dim/Compass/Temp/Backup Camera/Homelink mirror; 4Runner 4X4 & FJ Fog Light Switches; Husky Floor Liners; UltraGauge EM; Redline Tuning QuickLIFT Elite; Mobtown Offroad Locking Bed Storage Doors; Toyota Bed Mat; Toyota Bed Extender; Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock; SolarGard Tint; CravenSpeed Stubby Antenna; Amsoil Lubricants; Adam's Detailing Supplies
    Did you read Beau02's "fog light mod"? It accomplishes exactly what you describe...

6. Dec 14, 2011 at 9:06 AM
    twodogs

twodogs [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    02 Trd
    yes, i have but i think that using silicone to seal the socket into the housing is a pretty ghetto way to do it.

7. Dec 14, 2011 at 11:02 AM
    Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Monument, CO
    Vehicle:
    OK. :rolleyes:

Good luck with your un-ghetto approach to this mod.

8. Dec 14, 2011 at 5:07 PM
    twodogs

twodogs [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    02 Trd
    Nice! You seem to be just the type of know it all that everyone needs to listen to. Thanks for you feedback.

9. Dec 14, 2011 at 5:10 PM
    TACOMABOSS

TACOMABOSS Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    96 SR5 4x4
    Bilstein 5100s, Toytec AAL, Deck plate mod, Hella 500ff's, Sportsman Camo seat covers, Total Chaos 1" diff drop, JVC stereo, Painted bumpers and grille, Custom grille insert, HID projectors, Black spray paint
    how else would you seal it :confused: doesnt seem ghetto at all

10. Dec 14, 2011 at 8:19 PM
    Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Monument, CO
    Vehicle:
    Let me get this straight - You just joined the forums. You ask for help with a mod. A couple of us chime-in with suggestions. You ask how to accomplish something that's clearly specified in a writeup that was offered to you. You provide a sarcastic and insulting response when I simply point you BACK at the answer to your question. And, I'm a know-it-all?

I could care less whether you leverage the experience of others (like Beau02). If you want to reinvent the wheel, knock yourself out. Do the rest of us a favor and keep your insults to yourself.

To Top