1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Gen 1 - Towing uphill

Discussion in 'Towing' started by thrustblock, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Aug 6, 2012 at 3:51 PM
    thrustblock

thrustblock [OP] Member

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    1999 Tacoma Xtra-cab 4x4
    Hey Folks,

I recently picked up a used travel trailer - 16ft with a rated dry weight of about 2,700 lb. The previous owner added an A/C and a mod to the rear bumper for carrying bikes/wood, so dry weight is probably closer to 3,000 if I'm conservative.

I live up a fairy steep road, I'm guessing around a 30 degree slope or so. The steepest section is short, maybe 30-40 yards and I'm wondering if I should drop the truck into low gear "L", or just leave it in drive (OD off of course) to negotiate this hill.

My rig: '99 Xtra Cab 4x4 3.4L V6. I've already added a tranny cooler and brake controller and upgraded the entire suspension last year, but am fairly new to towing.

Should I have any concerns pulling this trailer up a short steep slope?

2. Aug 6, 2012 at 4:10 PM
    MJonaGS32

MJonaGS32 MJ on a GS

Member:
    First Name:
    MJ
    SF Bay Area (East)
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 4x4 DCSB 6spd Vagabond
    Drifter wedge camper, Dual battery, OBA, ARB locker, 4.56 gears
    you'll be fine

3. Aug 6, 2012 at 4:13 PM
    TACOMABOSS

TACOMABOSS Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    96 SR5 4x4
    Bilstein 5100s, Toytec AAL, Deck plate mod, Hella 500ff's, Sportsman Camo seat covers, Total Chaos 1" diff drop, JVC stereo, Painted bumpers and grille, Custom grille insert, HID projectors, Black spray paint
    put it in gear and go! lol for a 30-40 yard driveway you will be fine

4. Aug 6, 2012 at 4:16 PM
    TACOMABOSS

Member:
    Vehicle:
    96 SR5 4x4
    Bilstein 5100s, Toytec AAL, Deck plate mod, Hella 500ff's, Sportsman Camo seat covers, Total Chaos 1" diff drop, JVC stereo, Painted bumpers and grille, Custom grille insert, HID projectors, Black spray paint
    OP is you're driveway asphalt or concrete? If not id put it in 4low for going back down

5. Aug 7, 2012 at 8:01 AM
    brs127s

brs127s Well-Known Member

Member:
    O'Fallon, MO
    Vehicle:
    04 D-Cab 4x4 Limited TRD
    TRD Headers, Aero Turbine AT2525XL Deckplate Mod, TRD tranny cooler, King Coilovers, LR UCAs, Alcan 5 Leaf springs and Bilstein 5100s, Shrockworks front bumper, CBI rear bumper.
    AS far as down hill, I would upgrade to braided brake lines on the truck. I picked up the Wheeler's brake lines from a forum member for a song and installed them right before I bought my new boat. It's a Lowe 175 Fish and Ski with a 115 4-stroke. With boat, trailer, motor, fuel and gear, I would say it weighs between 2200 and 2500 lbs. Doesn't seem like a lot, but you can tell it's back there. The new trailer doesn't have brakes, so I knew my taco would have to be able to to handle the weight of the boat. With the braided lines, it took all the spongenous out of the pedal and they grab better.

6. Aug 7, 2012 at 10:48 AM
    thrustblock

thrustblock [OP] Member

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    1999 Tacoma Xtra-cab 4x4
    Thanks for the feedback all, that was what I needed to hear.

The steepest part of the Court is pebbled concrete then transitions to asphalt at a lower grade. I really just need to get it up to my house to do some work on the trailer, then I'll be keeping it at a storage unit. I'm in the PNW, so when the rain starts, there is no way I want to chance pulling up and down as that pebbled concrete gets pretty slick when wet.

I like the idea of 4 low going down - great tip.

7. Aug 8, 2012 at 12:07 PM
    TACOMABOSS

Member:
    Vehicle:
    96 SR5 4x4
    As long as you are not turning the wheels 4 low is fine

Products Discussed in

To Top